cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers advising a tracking number for shipments before they have given the goods to the carrier

As an eBay buyer I am becoming increasingly frustrated that sellers immediately advise a shipment tracking number at order acknowledgement stage before they have even sent the goods (as in physically given them to the carrier or had the carrier call to pick-up the goods from their premises).

This creates a totally false impression of buyer delivery time expectations that the goods are already on their way when in fact it may be days later before the carrier even receives the goods into their possession. As an example there are three steps with Australia Post before the goods are even picked-up:

Tracking number provided 

Shipping information received by Australia Post

Shipping information approved by Australia Post

The above steps may take place over several days and nothing has happened physically with the goods at Australia Post (or any other carriers for which eBay issue a tracking number and link). In fact the goods at this stage have not been picked-up or delivered up at the post Office

My strong suggestion to eBay administration is that the receipt of the order is acknowledged by email but the tracking number and link are withheld and NOT provided to the customer until the carrier has physically received the goods for transport. In that way no unrealistic delivery time expectations are raised and it puts pressure on the seller to get ex-stock goods moving in a prompt and businesslike manner.

Otherwise the buyer is left frustrated and sending unnecessary emails to the seller who mostly does not admit that they haven't even despatched the goods and this creates even more frustration for the buyer.

I will not give a positive rating or indeed any rating to sellers who don't understand the need for prompt despatch and truth when contacted regarding whether or not they have actually physically despatched the goods.

Amazon for example do it much better. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sellers advising a tracking number for shipments before they have given the goods to the carrier

Here in the US we have handling times to meet to satisfy shipping metrics.  Printing the label does prompt the tracking number being sent, but the important date is the estimated delivery date.  Are you given that? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@iawoo78 wrote:

As an eBay buyer I am becoming increasingly frustrated that sellers immediately advise a shipment tracking number at order acknowledgement stage before they have even sent the goods (as in physically given them to the carrier or had the carrier call to pick-up the goods from their premises).

@iawoo78 

Your frustration is understandable, but your anger and blame is misplaced.

The sellers have no choice or control over this. As soon as the seller purchases a shipping label from eBay, the number is posted on the eBay transaction.  It is obviously impossible for the seller to give the package to the post office or the courier before the tracking number is posted. Most buyers appreciate this, and understand that "Being shipped" which is the wording that eBay uses in the emails I receive, does not mean that the package is already in the postal service's possession.

It is illogical and unreasonable to threaten to punish your sellers for something they have no control over.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Real-world example:

I get an order at 5 in the afternoon, after my PO is closed. I package the item right away, buy shipping with the next day selected as the actual ship date, and I bring the package to my PO when the windows open at 8:30 the next morning. 

That's efficiency, and it shouldn't be a source of buyer frustration. Reserve the complaints for sellers who mark an item as shipped, but don't actually ship until days later. No need to pester the rest of us with needless emails and/or withholding feedback for your impatience.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

All you should be worrying about is the estimated delivery date. Your feedback left for those two sellers was unwarranted.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 5
latest reply