cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Beware!!!!

It no longer matters to sellers,if you insure an item when shipping. I sold a vintage McIntosh receiver for $685. I insured them item for the purchase price,as I do all my items. The buyer received the item,but claimed it was damaged. He took pictures of the damaged item,and emailed me,stating the item was not as described. Anything damaged during shipping is, of course, going to be "Not as described"  I  told the buyer that it was insured,and he needed to contact fedex,to initiate an insurance claim. He refused to do so. He opened an "Item not as described" case against me,and now,eBay is allowing him to return the item to me,for a full refund. What is insurance for? All he had to do,was initiate a claim with fedex,and he would have gotten his money back. So,now I will receive the item,which was working great,and in nice cosmetic condition,when I sold it, only to be left with a broken item,that i cannot resell.  So,from now on,expect any item you sell,that gets broken during shipping,to be returned to you,for a full refund. Thanks eBay,for finding a way to really screw your sellers. I will call eBay support today,and if this isn't resolved in the manner that it should be, then I will close my account ,after 20 years of selling. I'm here to make money,not lose money.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Sellers Beware!!!!

YOU, the seller, are responsible for the making the insurance claim......... 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

Sorry, but you are the one who is in contract with Fedex, and it is you who needs to claim, not your buyer.

You need to provide a label for the buyer to return the item, when you receive it you refund in full, and then you take it up with the carrier.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

I don't understand people these days.  Buyers don't want to be bothered to do ANYTHING when it comes to helping themselves. Before ebay got too big for its britches....buyers would only contact me if it was damaged and ASK if the item was insured so THEY could put a claim in. I don't understand why its "OUR" fault if the post office/fedex/UPS  uses out items as soccer balls. Its out of our control. Ebay used to understand that, now they shrug and say "Oh well, sucks to be you". 

I don't know if its possible, but could you still put the claim in after you receive it back? I'm sure it will be sent back the way it got there (FedEX) and the damage was already done, whether it went and got damaged or came back and got damaged. Does FedEx really need to know those specifics?  Damage is damage. You paid for the insurance. Should only be right someone claims it, might as well be you so you can recoup what you refunded the buyer. (I'm not suggesting anything shady, just thinking it was  already damaged on the way there....hes shipping it back. It will still be damaged when you get it)

Sorry this happened. I hope ebay listens to your plea and something can be done in your favor.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

If you still have the pics from your buyer, you may find this page helpful: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/customer-support/claims.html 

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 8.09.56 AM.jpg

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

It was your insufficient packaging that was at fault. I bet you didn't double box and pad it well enough to survive being thrown down a flight of stairs, because that's how you need to package something breakable.

Insurance ain't worth a plug nickel if the buyer doesn't cooperate with the claim. USPS lets either party file the claim. I don't know about FedEx. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

...I don't know if FedEx still using this policy anymore that claimants have to show them the original shipping box which was damaged...it's even more helpful if during the delivery time when the FedEx carrier obtained the signature, the receiver notified that carrier the damages of the outer box so he/she can record it through the scanner for future claim...

(this information was supplied from my co-worker whom used to be FedEx carrier...)

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

@fab_finds4u wrote:

It was your insufficient packaging that was at fault. I bet you didn't double box and pad it well enough to survive being thrown down a flight of stairs, because that's how you need to package something breakable.

Insurance ain't worth a plug nickel if the buyer doesn't cooperate with the claim. USPS lets either party file the claim. I don't know about FedEx. 

Yes, the parcel has to remain at the location of the leg of the shipping where the alleged damage occurred... So if a buyer complains about damage and then the parcel gets shipped back, the seller will be out of luck, the insurance people will claim they can not ascertain where the damage happened (since it could have happened on the way back to the seller) and that the return part of the shipping wasn't covered by insurance.

Been there...

If your buyer won't cooperate with the insurance, the seller is out of luck.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

This item was professionally packed by Packaging Depot,in Torrington Ct.I have used these people for all my packing needs,and have received great feedback from buyers about the outstanding packing,my items get. Even though the packing was good,items still get damaged in shipping,because the carriers don't give a **bleep** about their handling abilities. I insured the item for the selling price. Buyer should have initiated a claim with fedex.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

@richd860 wrote:

This item was professionally packed by Packaging Depot,in Torrington Ct.I have used these people for all my packing needs,and have received great feedback from buyers about the outstanding packing,my items get. Even though the packing was good,items still get damaged in shipping,because the carriers don't give a **bleep** about their handling abilities. I insured the item for the selling price. Buyer should have initiated a claim with fedex.

Actually, it is the seller's responsibility to file the claim because the buyer is covered by the MBG.

The buyer gets their money back regardless, the insurance protects your interests.

Because here's the thing:
Initiate the claim, get paid / issue refund (order may be reversed), let the buyer dispose of item.

That's if you want your money back.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

if it were me I woud take it back to the packing place and let them know there is a problem

maybe they will take care of you.maybe they wont

buyers have no need for insurance

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sellers Beware!!!!

I do not understand why you did not contact Fedex to file the claim?  They would have gone to the Buyer to pick up the box, item etc.

On a HV item, you were telling the Buyer to go solve a problem they did not create.  How many days after receiving the damaged item did the Buyer file?  Your story is not including all the facts?

Insurance is not for the Buyer -it is for the Seller.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 12
latest reply