cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller won't refund shipping

On ebay rarely for the past decade or so; used to be an active seller.

Bought a heavy item (shipping was more than the purchase price), which arrived damaged.  Figured i could live with that, but I had it looked at, discovered another major defect not in description that rendered it unusable.

Contacted the seller, asked for his address so I could ship it to him.  He said np, just go through ebay return process, and then he gave me his shipping address.  

I haven't returned anything to a seller in nearly 15 years so I was completely unaware of the (to me) new return process where a free shipping label is printed for you. So as in the past, after seller gave me his shipping address I went to the UPS site, paid for and printed out my own label using that address, and sent package off to seller.

Only to be informed days later that no such house number existed; seller had given me (and i had cut and pasted) the wrong house number.

Contacted seller for the correct address, he said "Why didn't you use the return function?"  What return function? Ahh. Whatever, I used it to find out the *correct* house number, contacted UPS, and the packge was successfully delivered to seller, who has refunded purchase price and *original* shipping...

BUT refuses to refund me for my UPS charges - which, not incidentally, include an additional $18 charge to correct the wrong address seller initially gave me.  So I'm in the hole ~$46 because (a) seller shipped a defective item and (b) I was ignorant of the "return" function.

Do I have any recourse here?  

I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you hear.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Seller won't refund shipping

@6rivets 

Sorry, if you paid to return the item, there's no way to make the seller pay you back for the return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@6rivets wrote:

Do I have any recourse here?  

I would chalk it up as a lesson learned at this point.  In theory if the eBay return process was used here, the seller would have had to front that ship cost via the ship label you would have printed off from eBay.  However, it is really up to the seller in this situation now, but I would just move on though.  More info about returns here -- https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

How did the seller explain his giving you a return address with no such house number in existence ?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

He didn't.

I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you hear.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply