cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refunded now wants return, but won't send me a proper shipping label. What to do?

I bought a ring for over $200, when i recieved it it was a smaller carat weight than described. I opened a case for return and the seller did not get back to me in 7 days so I asked ebay to step in. During the last day they had before the case was forfeited in my favor they responded by giving a full refund. Ebay closed the case. 

I figured they didnt want the item back. Then a few days later they are messaging me with instructions to return the item on my dime. I said they need to send a prepaid label. They send me a prepaid fedex ground. I do not have a fedex store near me and Im not willing to travel to return this item. I asked them for a usps or ups label instead and they said they dont do that and sorry for the inconvenience. 

So what do I do? They're making it difficult for me to return their item. Do I have to pay for a usps label myself? Do I keep the item? I've never been in this situation. What's the protocol here? 

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Seller refunded now wants return, but won't send me a proper shipping label. What to do?

If the drop box doesn't work, I'd just stick it on my fronth porch and tell the seller to arrange to have it picked up.  They seem to not be cooperative, so no need to go out of your way to help them.

Message 16 of 114
latest reply

Re: Seller refunded now wants return, but won't send me a proper shipping label. What to do?

You can't put FedEx Ground or FedEx SmartPost (SmartPost is FedEx Ground for initial leg) shipments in a FedEx dropbox. FedEx Ground and Express are different companies under the FedEx umbrella with different trucks and drivers, different schedules, and in some case different facilities or areas of facilities.

UPS is all services under one company and you can stick small ground shipments in their dropboxes if they will fit (consider weight and size though - wouldn't want to drop a 35 pound UPS ground box of fishing weights in a dropbox on top of someones express envelope full of bearer bonds or photographs.)

You should be able to call FedEx and schedule a pickup for $4-5 (which would probably have to be charged to a credit card) Might be worth the $4 to get this over with. (1-800 Go FedEx)

Message 17 of 114
latest reply

Ok so what are my options here? I just have to drive 40 minutes to the nearest fedex store? What happens if I dont do that?

Message 18 of 114
latest reply

What repurcussions might there be if I were to do this though?

Message 19 of 114
latest reply

We are cross posting here. Anyway.

If eBay didn't require you to return it, "legally" you don't have to do anything. Still, even if the seller is an _____ (fill in the blank), you sound like you want to be fair about it, so working toward getting it back to him is "the right thing to do"

If you dump it on the porch, it might get stolen, and if not the seller might not figure out how to get it picked up, and the problem persists.

Like I said, on a $200 deal, you losing $4 to get it picked up by FedEx should be worth it to get it over with.

Message 20 of 114
latest reply

I suggest contacting the seller and advising them you want to return the item and there is no Fedex location nearby. They can through there fedex account schedule a pickup for this item. Its very simple to do on there part and it would solve the issue. I would request that. 

Message 21 of 114
latest reply

@annabauer111867 wrote:

What repurcussions might there be if I were to do this though?

There are no repurcussions if you don’t send the item back. Which is why I suggested simply putting it in a drop box and calling it a day. I personally would not drive 40 miles to fedex nor would I arrange & Pay for a fedex pickup in this situation. I would put the package in the drop box and leave it at that. But again that’s just me. FWIW I have put ground shipments in the drop box (not knowing you aren’t supposed to) and they arrived to the recipient just fine.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 22 of 114
latest reply

@davidincal wrote:

I suggest contacting the seller and advising them you want to return the item and there is no Fedex location nearby. They can through there fedex account schedule a pickup for this item. Its very simple to do on there part and it would solve the issue. I would request that. 

She has done that already.......

Message 23 of 114
latest reply

>> The buyer doesn't get to dictate the carrier here. That said, you've already received a refund.

Yes they do Jen. Original package was received via USPS (last leg of Smartpost journey), so the argument could be made that USPS would be the return label carrier also.

Alternatively, how about this hypothetical example: I as the seller send you a return label for you the buyer to use for the TwoGuysAndAMonkey overnight trucking company which has only one office in the next state over (475 miles away). They will pick up for a $50 pickup charge. That sound reasonable?

It does get gray, especially as in cases where a buyer wants pain and suffering compensation for having to drop a return shipment in a USPS dropbox (which IS unreasonable whining), but OP here should not have to drive 40 minutes, (or 475 miles), or pay for pickup out of pocket.
Message 24 of 114
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>> The buyer doesn't get to dictate the carrier here. That said, you've already received a refund.

Yes they do Jen. Original package was received via USPS (last leg of Smartpost journey), so the argument could be made that USPS would be the return label carrier also.

Alternatively, how about this hypothetical example: I as the seller send you a return label for you the buyer to use for the TwoGuysAndAMonkey overnight trucking company which has only one office in the next state over (475 miles away). They will pick up for a $50 pickup charge. That sound reasonable?

It does get gray, especially as in cases where a buyer wants pain and suffering compensation for having to drop a return shipment in a USPS dropbox (which IS unreasonable whining), but OP here should not have to drive 40 minutes, (or 475 miles), or pay for pickup out of pocket.

No they don’t. eBay only requires the seller to pay for return shipping, as long as a label is issued or funds are sent, the seller has fulfilled their requirement. The return shipping label does not have to be for the same carrier originally used. 

Message 25 of 114
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@berserkerplanet wrote:

No they don’t. eBay only requires the seller to pay for return shipping, as long as a label is issued or funds are sent, the seller has fulfilled their requirement. The return shipping label does not have to be for the same carrier originally used. 

Even if the seller has issued a label for the same to return it would have been fedex smart-post which sounds like it would put the op in the same position with needing to get to fedex to drop it off

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 26 of 114
latest reply

1. I would love to see that play out with my hypothetical example where an essentially unusable return label is issued.

2.eBay isn't involved in this particular scenario anyway. The case was closed due to seller non-response, and eBay "policies" no longer apply.
Message 27 of 114
latest reply

You aren't required to do anything.

Message 28 of 114
latest reply

berserkerplanet wrote:
1. I would love to see that play out with my hypothetical example where an essentially unusable return label is issued.

2.eBay isn't involved in this particular scenario anyway. The case was closed due to seller non-response, and eBay "policies" no longer apply.

Its a usable label. This would be the same situation in which the buyer has no printer. Its essentially the buyers problem and this has been confirmed by the blues. The sellers obligation and requirement is fulfilled as long as they provide the label or the funds. Its on the buyer to figure out a way to print the label and get the package in the carrier's hands.

No one has said ebay policies apply to the current situation.

Message 29 of 114
latest reply

USPS accepts smartpost but not ground.

Message 30 of 114
latest reply