cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refunded now wants return, but won't send me a proper shipping label. What to do?

I bought a ring for over $200, when i recieved it it was a smaller carat weight than described. I opened a case for return and the seller did not get back to me in 7 days so I asked ebay to step in. During the last day they had before the case was forfeited in my favor they responded by giving a full refund. Ebay closed the case. 

I figured they didnt want the item back. Then a few days later they are messaging me with instructions to return the item on my dime. I said they need to send a prepaid label. They send me a prepaid fedex ground. I do not have a fedex store near me and Im not willing to travel to return this item. I asked them for a usps or ups label instead and they said they dont do that and sorry for the inconvenience. 

So what do I do? They're making it difficult for me to return their item. Do I have to pay for a usps label myself? Do I keep the item? I've never been in this situation. What's the protocol here? 

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller refunded now wants return, but won't send me a proper shipping label. What to do?

There is no need for the nasty comments. I have already said I would message them one more time. If that doesn't pan out I'll toss it in a drop box. Im not trying to rip anyone off. If I was I wouldn't have started the thread in the first place, speaking of which I'm not sure how to turn it off or end it if thats even possible. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't responsible for anything in the event the package doesn't get to the seller via drop box. I will not pay out of pocket or inconvenience myself, thats my choice. 

For the record, I no longer need suggestions. I have decided what I am going to do. Thanks for the advice everyone. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 49 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Seller refunded now wants return, but won't send me a proper shipping label. What to do?

I do not know what a proper shipping label is, however, FedEx may be the seller's preference for shipping.  I understand that it may not be convenient for you to drop the package at a FedEx location, but I think if you called for a pickup, that may work. 

I'm not sure if some PO will take FedEx pkgs - mine used to but I do not see the sign anymore, also there may be some FedEx drop off boxes in your city or in your travels that you could utilize.  Since the seller sent the label, it obvious that he/she wants the item returned.

Message 2 of 114
latest reply

@annabauer111867 wrote:

I bought a ring for over $200, when i recieved it it was a smaller carat weight than described. I opened a case for return and the seller did not get back to me in 7 days so I asked ebay to step in. During the last day they had before the case was forfeited in my favor they responded by giving a full refund. Ebay closed the case. 

I figured they didnt want the item back. Then a few days later they are messaging me with instructions to return the item on my dime. I said they need to send a prepaid label. They send me a prepaid fedex ground. I do not have a fedex store near me and Im not willing to travel to return this item. I asked them for a usps or ups label instead and they said they dont do that and sorry for the inconvenience. 

So what do I do? They're making it difficult for me to return their item. Do I have to pay for a usps label myself? Do I keep the item? I've never been in this situation. What's the protocol here? 

The seller is required to pay for return shipping, they are not required to accomodate you when it comes to the carrier. Surely there is a fedex drop box somewhere nearby. The buyer doesn't get to dictate the carrier here. That said, you've already received a refund.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 114
latest reply

They made 2 mistakes.

1) Selling an item that was not as described

2) Not responding to an open case

You are doing the proper thing by trying to return the ring. Ask them to send money thru paypal for you to purchase your own label since you can't use the FedEx one. Get the money first before you buy the label. If they want the ring back they need to make the effort. No money, no label=free ring. 

Message 4 of 114
latest reply

Yes there is a drop box. But this is fedex ground and apparently you cant put ground in a drop box. Only smartpost. They sent it via smartpost and usps delivered it. But they want to do ground for a return so I would have to go to an actual store. Im not willing to drive over a half hour for their convenience. 

Message 5 of 114
latest reply

@annabauer111867 wrote:

Yes there is a drop box. But this is fedex ground and apparently you cant put ground in a drop box. Only smartpost. They sent it via smartpost and usps delivered it. But they want to do ground for a return so I would have to go to an actual store. Im not willing to drive over a half hour for their convenience. 

Well its of no risk to you to put it in a drop box. Despite fedex saying not to use the drop boxes for ground shipments, many people still do and again, its not your risk. You already got your refund and it cannot be reversed by ebay. This is entirely between you and the seller, you cannot get in trouble here. If it was me, I would just put the package in the drop box and call it a day 🙂

Message 6 of 114
latest reply

This shows a big point that I have an issue with. So many act like the fact that the seller issues a refund makes the buyer whole. Sometimes it can be a pain in the behind to return something, and we didn't ask for that.

If I can slap the label on the box and leave it on the stoop, maybe, but having to get in the car and drive all over town to find a drop box so that you can get it back cheaply? No thanks. As a seller I don't ship Fed Ex because it would be such a pain to do so. I most certainly aint gonna to go find a Fed Ex location to save the seller a few bucks.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 7 of 114
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

This shows a big point that I have an issue with. So many act like the fact that the seller issues a refund makes the buyer whole. Sometimes it can be a pain in the behind to return something, and we didn't ask for that.

If I can slap the label on the box and leave it on the stoop, maybe, but having to get in the car and drive all over town to find a drop box so that you can get it back cheaply? No thanks. As a seller I don't ship Fed Ex because it would be such a pain to do so. I most certainly aint gonna to go find a Fed Ex location to save the seller a few bucks.

That's the risk when you buy online - having to return it.  If the seller shipped by FedEx, then FedEx should be the return method.

This is a bit unique though.  The seller failed to respond timely to an open claim and thus eBay refunded without requiring a return.  If they had issued a return label from the get go, the buyer would've had to return it with that label.  However, if I were the seller, I'd figure out a way to accommodate the buyer who was trying to do the right thing.

Message 8 of 114
latest reply

Ebay didn't issue the refund, the seller did. This apparently closed the case. Then a few days later the seller messaged me about returning the item. 

Message 9 of 114
latest reply

First, morally it is your responsibility to return the ring to the seller. You have been reimbursed and therefore did not pay for it so it is not yours to keep. You can call FedEx to see if they will do a pick-up or if they may have an alternative solution for you.

Message 10 of 114
latest reply

Im not trying to keep the item. I'd like to return it. But I'm also not willing to bend over backwards to get the not as described item back to the seller who is being difficult. I shouldnt have to put so much effort in, that should be their job if they want the item back after closing the case early.

Message 11 of 114
latest reply

@annabauer111867 wrote:

Im not trying to keep the item. I'd like to return it. But I'm also not willing to bend over backwards to get the not as described item back to the seller who is being difficult. I shouldnt have to put so much effort in, that should be their job if they want the item back after closing the case early.

Again....just put it in a fedex drop box. You have received a refund. All you have to do is ship the item back. If there is a local drop box, just use it. FWIW if the seller HAD responded and you were told to return for a refund refund & been issued a fedex label, you would have to ship the item back via fedex. The seller fulfilled his requirement of paying for return shipping. Ebay would not force him to give you a label from another carrier or make any exceptions. In your case, you already got your refund so just drop the package in a fedex drop box. All liability is on the seller.

Message 12 of 114
latest reply

I will do this, thanks. Its not fedex I have the issue with. Its the fact that they shipped it as smartpost to me so USPS could deliver it. But to return it they only want ground so I can't technically use USPS or dropbox, though I will just use the dropbox. It just seems unnecessarily difficult is all. 

Message 13 of 114
latest reply

@annabauer111867 wrote:

I will do this, thanks. Its not fedex I have the issue with. Its the fact that they shipped it as smartpost to me so USPS could deliver it. But to return it they only want ground so I can't technically use USPS or dropbox, though I will just use the dropbox. It just seems unnecessarily difficult is all. 

Oh I agree with you, the seller can buy a USPS label easy peasy. What baffles me is that he ignored the case completely and technically lost the item and the bracelet and they are LUCKY enough to have a buyer who is still willing to return the item yet they insist on being difficult! If you haven't already, leave them appropriate feedback, just do NOT mention anything about a case, a refund or getting ebay involved.

Message 14 of 114
latest reply

Usually when you're able to ask eBay to step in because enough time has elapsed, the decision is made by bots and no more time is given to the seller.  

If your scenario was accurate, the seller still could've clicked Return for Refund at that time.

When eBay forces the refund from the seller, the wording will still state that your seller refunded you (because eBay takes the money from them).  My guess?  Once the seller saw their [forced] refund, they asked for the item back.

Message 15 of 114
latest reply