cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller already charged me shipping and USPS is trying to collect more?

I bought an item and the seller charged me $19.65 shipping (domestic) I also live in the US. USPS left one of their orange notices that $11.15 shipping is due for me to collect my package. Isn't this the seller responsibility? I'm concerned because I think USPS will only allow a couple days before they return to sender. And How do I even prove all this to ebay? I messaged the seller that I don't believe this is my responsibility but is there anywhere in the guidelines for selling practices that states that?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Seller already charged me shipping and USPS is trying to collect more?

You have a choice of paying it but no guarantee you will be reimbursed.Other option is send it back
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Read post #5 in link below

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Item-arrived-postage-due/m-p/30658314#M308352

I would do as posted , file with Paypal & advise post office you are trying to work with the seller so they don't send it back.
Seems the poster from the above link was told by ebay CS if they paid the money ebay could not recoup it from the seller

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thank you. The seller messaged back and said that ebay was the one who calculated the rate so he must have used rheir click and ship. He says he is waiting to hear from them. It's the weekend so I guess if I don't hear anything by monday I will contact usps and let them know I am trying to work out with sender. Otherwise I guess I can open a case I just had doing that. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Glad you got the seller, but hate that he put the shipping error on ebay, though. The seller entered the info... IJS

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking. When my post office opens monday I figured I would ask them weight and dimensions so at least I have that. But yea, as a seller if there is a shipping issue I have to resolve things and not put on the buyer. Inckuding if I underquote shipping and it is more when I take it to the post. And every other place charges the sender for click and ship (have had this with Fedex) so I'm not sure why USPS is tryingbto charge me. So now I'm sitting with package in limbo. I could have picked it up today when I was out that way, but Im afraid if I do I wont get the money back. If I knew the shipping was going to be over $30 I would not have bought the item in the first place and this situation would be moot. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thinking out loud (which usually gets me in trouble)...

I've had a couple of occasions where I paid too much/too little for USPS and it was squared up later.

Can you (at the PO) force this measure? Then, it'd be on the seller (later) and you could take it home (now)??

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like possibly the seller used a "flat rate" label on a box that was not "flat rate".

Sometimes the APV system catches the "short paid" postage, and does a charge back to the seller.  Not all items get the APV check.

Your PO can, and should have checked to see if the APV system did that, but it may not hurt to "politely" ask if there may possibly have been a charge back done to the sender already.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@magicstormart wrote:

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking. When my post office opens monday I figured I would ask them weight and dimensions so at least I have that. But yea, as a seller if there is a shipping issue I have to resolve things and not put on the buyer. Inckuding if I underquote shipping and it is more when I take it to the post. And every other place charges the sender for click and ship (have had this with Fedex) so I'm not sure why USPS is tryingbto charge me. So now I'm sitting with package in limbo. I could have picked it up today when I was out that way, but Im afraid if I do I wont get the money back. If I knew the shipping was going to be over $30 I would not have bought the item in the first place and this situation would be moot. 

I'm a mail carrier. The verification system is catching most but not all of the short payed packages. Newer sites like Poshmark have a built in rate and endicia, has all of their packages coded to go through the verification system. Other packages with short postage are checked by the piece when found. Most these days will come back to the carrier as verified so we just deliver them. But some are not being caught like misused Priority mailers and non media items being shipped via Media Mail.

Monday ask the Post Office why exactly this package is Postage Due, include the information in a PayPal SNAD claim and ask for the amount you will have to pay to collect the package. 

Also let the Post Office know that you are not refusing the package and you will be in to pay and pick-up in a day or two.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

Hi @magicstormart 

Not to make lite of your situation. But I thought that this would be a nice time to share a funny little story that happened to me a number of years ago.

One of my Nephews had graduated high school. Work didn't allow me to be able to make it to his open house celebratory gathering,however; I did take the time to find a Congratulation card, Send a little monetary gift and mail it off to him.

About 4 weeks or so later I received a Thank You card in the mail, "Postage Due". LOL..... There wasn't a stamp on the card. I got one of those little envelopes from USPS to place change in and return it to the postal carrier. I think stamps were .28 cents or there abouts back then.  

I laughed and put change in the envelope. The next day I met my postal carrier at the mailbox and handed it to her. I said, since when has the post office started delivering letters without a stamp and started charging the recipient? 

She said, I don't know, I always thought that was weird. We always got along fine and she liked my dog, so I told her, from now on when you pickup my outgoing mail and I don't have a stamp on it, you take it anyway and charge the person I'm sending it to. LOL.........

After all these years I still don't let my Nephew live that one down! Something like this.... I took the time to buy a card, write a check and bought a "Postage Stamp" to make sure you got it, and you send me a Thank You card, "Postage Due." Hahahahahaha...........

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Just make sure to ask them to measure the package incl. the weight. I was charged additional postage (as a seller by the label provider pirate.com)) for a 4 oz package that USPS claimed was 13 oz. Fortunately, I take photos of all packages on a digital scale, that showed the correct weight. Pirate submitted that info to USPS and I got a refund.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

What's the difference between an ebay SNAD and paypal? I've never done anything directly through paypal before. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Last time I checked, the PayPal SNAD form had a specific check off option for Postage Due, and eBay's process doesn't have that.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ebay allows you to decline a package that has Postage Due, just make sure that you get documentation of the Postage Due. You can file a claim with paypal to recoup the Postage Due. 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@magicstormart wrote: .... The seller messaged back and said that ebay was the one who calculated the rate so he must have used rheir click and ship. He says he is waiting to hear from them..... 

It's extremely unlikely that your seller will get any response from eBay.  I suspect that he was careless with the package dimensions.  USPS charges a "dimensional weight" for packages that are over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches), which can lead to a big jump in price.

The package information  in the listing carries over to the label preparation form,  which is directly connected to USPS rates.  So the error has to be related to the information the seller provided, or to using USPS packaging or services  inappropriately (e.g., flat-rate label on regular box or vice-versa, or using Media Mail for an ineligible item).

Message 15 of 15
latest reply