cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Shipped My Item Wrongly By Media Mail - Question

I was informed by USPS that my package is delayed because the sender (seller) shipped my item by media mail instead of parcal post. It's a clock. Obviously not media mail.  So I will be stuck with the extra postage fee when the carrier arrives at my door in a couple of days. I was also told by USPS  on the phone that the box is damaged and they can hear rattling.  If I refuse to pay the extra postage and have the box returned to seller can I file a claim to get my money back? Or do I need to pay for the package and have ownership of it and then file a claim? 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Seller Shipped My Item Wrongly By Media Mail - Question

@mam98031 wrote:
  • Incorrect service or packaging entered for label creation versus actual service/packaging material used (e.g., First-Class™ labels cannot be used on Priority Mail® or Priority Mail Express® packaging).

Incorrect service in this context refers to comparing the label to the box - Flat Rate on a regular Priority Box, or vice versa, First Class or other class on the free Priority packaging, eg.

The APV system cannot/does not detect what is inside the packaging thus cannot automatically assess penalties for media misuse.  Media abuse would have to be determined through a manual inspection.

Again, as far as I know there is no manual entry for the APV adjustments so I don't think media misuse would show up as an automatic adjustment.  Postage due is not going away for at least this reason.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I don't have a printer at home--nor do any neighbors. In order to print a return label for this item, I'd have to go to the public library to print the return label.

It would be, in my case, much less hassle to refuse the item. Each of our personal circumstances is different.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:
  • Incorrect service or packaging entered for label creation versus actual service/packaging material used (e.g., First-Class™ labels cannot be used on Priority Mail® or Priority Mail Express® packaging).

Incorrect service in this context refers to comparing the label to the box - Flat Rate on a regular Priority Box, or vice versa, First Class or other class on the free Priority packaging, eg.

The APV system cannot/does not detect what is inside the packaging thus cannot automatically assess penalties for media misuse.  Media abuse would have to be determined through a manual inspection.

Again, as far as I know there is no manual entry for the APV adjustments so I don't think media misuse would show up as an automatic adjustment.  Postage due is not going away for at least this reason.

You are correct. The system doesn’t catch media mail misuse because it doesn’t detect what is inside the box. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I would talk to the seller first as most would rather deal direct than involve ebay. i have heard of people using media mail to save money. If you were not going to be charged i would say that should not be an issue for you. If there was no issue with the clock i would simply inform the seller of the shipping issue and ask for what you had to pay. A reasonalbe seller would just give it to you. If the clock is broken then you need to ask for a full refund. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

The OP said, "I was also told by USPS  on the phone that the box is damaged and they can hear rattling."  Seems like the clock did not survive the rigors of Media Mail shipping conditions.  So there is no reason for them to want to pay for the postage due in order to secure this item.  They need to just get their money back.

If they file a case, the seller will be required to pay for the return shipping in order to get the package back, as well as paying for the Postage Due for the original shipping in order to ransom this potentially broken and worthless item.  I suspect that the seller will just issue a full refund rather than pay postage twice for an item he can't resell. If he doesn't believe the buyer's claim that the unseen clock is broken, then he can pay for the shipping costs to get it back.

If neither party pays for the postage due for this apparently broken item, then the USPS will keep the package.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@joeythebull46 wrote:

I would talk to the seller first as most would rather deal direct than involve ebay. i have heard of people using media mail to save money. If you were not going to be charged i would say that should not be an issue for you. If there was no issue with the clock i would simply inform the seller of the shipping issue and ask for what you had to pay. A reasonalbe seller would just give it to you. If the clock is broken then you need to ask for a full refund. 

While I much prefer a buyer contact me directly and try to work out any issue that may arrise, I'm not so sure I would agree with that in this case to be the best course of action.

The seller intentionally shipped something out via a method they knew they did not qualify for.  That wasn't an accident or human error.  That was something they intended to do to try and save some money on shipping.  That act alone doesn't support the idea that this is a "reasonable seller".  Most sellers would never even entertain the thought of defrauding USPS like this.  To me it is more likely to show a dishonest seller than a "resonable seller".  But that is just my opinion.  I'd file the case.

The OP hasn't been participating in the thread beyond their original post.  And they didn't tell us if the item they purchased was with free shipping or stated shipping.  So it is unknown at this point if the seller overcharged the OP on shipping or not.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

"If they file a case, the seller will be required to pay for the return shipping in order to get the package back, as well as paying for the Postage Due for the original shipping in order to ransom this potentially broken and worthless item. "

How does Ebay do that?  I'm curious because I've not had any experience with this.  How does Ebay require the seller to pay money beyond the return label and the original payment received from the customer?

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

"If they file a case, the seller will be required to pay for the return shipping in order to get the package back, as well as paying for the Postage Due for the original shipping in order to ransom this potentially broken and worthless item. "

How does Ebay do that?  I'm curious because I've not had any experience with this.  How does Ebay require the seller to pay money beyond the return label and the original payment received from the customer?

I think she means that the USPS will require the seller to pay the postage due for misuse of media rate in order to get the package back.  Not that eBay will make the seller pay postage due.

But I could be wrong.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I think she means that the USPS will require the seller to pay the postage due for misuse of media rate in order to get the package back.  Not that eBay will make the seller pay postage due.

But I could be wrong.

Oh that makes PERFECT sense.  Thank you.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
I don't have a printer at home--nor do any neighbors. In order to print a return label for this item, I'd have to go to the public library to print the return label.

It would be, in my case, much less hassle to refuse the item. Each of our personal circumstances is different.

Doubtful at best that you know no one with a printer and that spending time on the phone with ebay CSRs is preferable than a trip to the library.

Possible certainly, probable, not.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

As to whether op truly has no printer... I ship packages every christmas for several family members. As in, thier gifts, to other people. Shipping online is NOT simple, and not everyone is interested in it. If you wanna sell yeah you should learn but everyone else and my mother are often unequipped for it.
Message 26 of 27
latest reply