cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Accuses me of stealing, intends to refuse return

I recently returned a package to a seller as it really wasn't what I was expecting based on the description, for one. I used his free 30 day returns policy. Before the package has even arrived at his home, he has accused me numerous times of taking some of the items out and stealing them from him before sending it back.

In addition, he has cursed at me numerous times, suggested he hopes that I will get scammed like I allegedly am doing to him, and at the same time has said he will go around looking for people to take advantage of, which to me seems like a thinly veiled threat that he is going to try to sabotage my store. I should have known I was in for it when I paid $50 for priority mail and he instead chose to ship fedex ground (which he had as an option for about $25) less, and then got super aggravated when I suggest he either ship priority or refund me what I paid for priority over fedex. Apparently, there's a special place in hell for me because I returned an item that didn't live up to the description he oversold it with. unamused

I've already talked to eBay and they said based on his communication and pre-emptive accusations, and that I have an account in good standing, this will work out well for me no matter what he does. But now the seller's message (at least the dozenth today) included this, and I am concerned:

"I hope to GOD that you purchased INSURANCE like I did when I sent it to you. If it gets damaged I will refuse the package and it will be sent back to you. If it gets damaged and you purchased insurance, you will have to file a claim. It would really suck if it gets damaged and you did not insure the package. Surely, anyone with a half a brain would have purchased insurance for a $600 package. But, there are people out there who don't think. BTW..the return label you printed does NOT include insurance.... you need to purchase that separately. If it comes back damaged, my appeal will also state that b/c it would not be in the same condition as I sent it."

This seller has already declared that he will file an appeal for stealing from him, even though he doesn't have the package yet. So I wouldn't put it past him to lie and declare the package is damaged even if it isn't. What will that mean for me? Can he really have it sent back? And should I have bought insurance?

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Block him so he can not buy things and damage your seller rating. Stop replying to his messages but look over them so you can tell ebay what threats he has made. If he really has told you in advance he will claim items missing and damage during shipping then he has made threats in advance which show his intent. From what I gather the item was returned for not matching its description. This is a 30 day money back guarantee issue and he should have provided you a label. So extra insurance would have been needed to be paid by the seller. Regardless he has stated the item will get damaged which hints on him having the intent to damage the item after it is delivered. The shipping you bought probably had 100 dollars shipping included with the label. USPS and FEDEX would want to investigate and with his messages talking about damaging the item most claims would be denied. Ebay would probably side with you at this point. Really they should have taken the item back and found another buyer but now they are going to get a defect for not working things out with the buyer. Also their communication and treats will probably cause the trust and safety dept. to review all of their messages and transactions that ended with returns or refunds.

If you have not called yet call ebay and ask for the selling or trust and safety dept. Then have them look over the messages to see what they think you should do next and to document the recent messages from the seller.

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

I recently returned a package to a seller as it really wasn't what I was expecting based on the description, for one. I used his free 30 day returns policy. Before the package has even arrived at his home, he has accused me numerous times of taking some of the items out and stealing them from him before sending it back.

In addition, he has cursed at me numerous times, suggested he hopes that I will get scammed like I allegedly am doing to him, and at the same time has said he will go around looking for people to take advantage of, which to me seems like a thinly veiled threat that he is going to try to sabotage my store. I should have known I was in for it when I paid $50 for priority mail and he instead chose to ship fedex ground (which he had as an option for about $25) less, and then got super aggravated when I suggest he either ship priority or refund me what I paid for priority over fedex. Apparently, there's a special place in hell for me because I returned an item that didn't live up to the description he oversold it with. unamused

I've already talked to eBay and they said based on his communication and pre-emptive accusations, and that I have an account in good standing, this will work out well for me no matter what he does. But now the seller's message (at least the dozenth today) included this, and I am concerned:

"I hope to GOD that you purchased INSURANCE like I did when I sent it to you. If it gets damaged I will refuse the package and it will be sent back to you. If it gets damaged and you purchased insurance, you will have to file a claim. It would really suck if it gets damaged and you did not insure the package. Surely, anyone with a half a brain would have purchased insurance for a $600 package. But, there are people out there who don't think. BTW..the return label you printed does NOT include insurance.... you need to purchase that separately. If it comes back damaged, my appeal will also state that b/c it would not be in the same condition as I sent it."

This seller has already declared that he will file an appeal for stealing from him, even though he doesn't have the package yet. So I wouldn't put it past him to lie and declare the package is damaged even if it isn't. What will that mean for me? Can he really have it sent back? And should I have bought insurance?

Unfortunately (or fortunately in your case), you could send him USED Kitty Litter and he would have to refund you.  His only option once the item shows delivered OR attempted delivered is to refund.  Don't get me wrong, he can turn you in for mail fraud, and as a bad buyer, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As soon as you see they attempted delivery, call eBay and ask them to escalate.  If he refuses the package, you could very well get the product back AND a refund.  This guy ain't too smart, he just thinks he is.

I know it is intimidating to have someone calling you a thief and a liar and saying nasty things to you, but ignore ignore ignore.

Get yourself a buying ID and don't ever purchase with your seller ID again.... For exactly this reason.

You've blocked him right?

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Thanks to both of you, that is reassuring. I have blocked him already. I will consider getting separate buying and selling ID's, because what happens if he has a separate ID and tries to sabotage me from there.

Mail fraud is intimidating but I have nothing to hide. He had free 30 day returns, I sent back literally everything he sent me. Hopefully that will be enough to withstand whatever he is plotting. I have a strong feeling he oversold what was in the listing and knew it.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

He very well could have other IDs, friends, relative, etc who would purchase for the purpose of damaging your store.  In addition to his selling ID, add his email addy to your BBL, that may help a bit.  

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

Thanks to both of you, that is reassuring. I have blocked him already. I will consider getting separate buying and selling ID's, because what happens if he has a separate ID and tries to sabotage me from there.

That is indeed why it's best to have a separate buying and selling account on eBay, if you plan to be doing both.

Let us know how this goes!

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

Thanks for the tip, where would I look to find his email? I've never had to do that before. Order Details?

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

Thanks for the tip, where would I look to find his email? I've never had to do that before. Order Details?

Your payment went to his email addy.  I would get it from my gmail message of payment, you could also get it from Paypal and probably half a dozen other places

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

I can't see that you have any transaction history at all.

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

I feel for you on this, absolutely insane that there are people like this and consider themselves a business person or having a business. So completely unprofessional. I pretty much only sell on here and only buy a few things around Christmas each year and thats about it. Never had to return anything or deal with a seller like that. Unfortunately, this guy seems like he very well would just use a guest account or make a new ID just to mess with you and leave you negative feedback and whatever else. I would also keep record of his address so if you see a purchase with different ID but same address or same area, you can block them.
Something similar happened to my husband once, the guy actually had a friend and family member try to buy and mess with his account. Luckily he wasn't smart enough to use a different address or someone with different last name. Ridiculous, so sorry this happened to you. I can see why some new buyers don't come back. Imagine this happens to a first time buyer, sucks it happens to anyone for that matter.
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

I did get a separate ID for posting as was recommended to me years ago (fortunately have not had to use it much until now), so this is not my buying/selling ID. I should probably split the buying/selling ID though too based on what I've read here in this thread.
Message 11 of 59
latest reply

Thanks for the kind words. I get that this guy is upset, but it's totally different when they completely lose it and go off. I've made 2-3 calls to eBay, and I think he's up to 16 messages now. Just gonna keep an eye on the tracking number. Basically eBay said the worst that is going to happen is that I would get a refund while having a note added to my account if he claims fraud, but since I've been on for years with no issues, it won't affect me as there is no pattern. It is funny though how the seller says he "knows" that I am cheating him and stealing from him and he "knows" that I have done this numerous times when of course none of that is true. But still he knows it, just like he knows that the moon is cheese.
Message 12 of 59
latest reply

I was documenting previous messages when I came across this one. This is a message he sent to me (with mine below) when I notified I had returned the item according to his policy. Crazy right from the get go. Hopefully the fact that he blatantly stated he will state there were things missing, before he even got it back, is a big sign in my favor. But you never know what malicious people like this will say. I appreciate all the support and help from you guys so far, hopefully this is almost over. Delivery predicted for tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 10.36.59 AM.png

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

@admiralmotti89 wrote:

I've already talked to eBay and they said based on his communication and pre-emptive accusations, and that I have an account in good standing, this will work out well for me no matter what he does.

That has nothing to do with it. It was going to work out for you no matter what as long as you followed procedure.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

Silly seller.  Refusing a package is the same as delivery as far as eBay is concerned.

If he refuses the package you automatically win.  And he can't open it up to inspect the contents before refusing.  So if he claims stuff is missing, after refusing the package, he will self-prove that he is blowing smoke.

Message 15 of 59
latest reply