cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan sheet question

So, on Nov. 12th after the Nov. 11th holiday, I created a scan sheet for 4 packages.  Three were first class and one was media mail.  I took the packages with the scan sheet and gave them to the front desk of my condo.  I checked later that night and NONE of the packages had acceptance scans.

The person at the front desk said the mailman took the packages AND the scan sheet.  Usually it is left behind and returned to me.

My packages showed up at different times in the system and the book was not scanned until this morning 12/14.

Shouldn't they all have the exact same time of acceptance?

The postman claims not to have picked up any packages that day from our building but I can have security check the video

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Scan sheet question

They should all show when the scan sheet is scanned. However, they don't always even know what to do with that sheet. It's very common for packages not to receive a scan until they reach the main sorting center.  They are supposed to be scanned when accepted.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The postman claims not to have picked up any packages that day from our building but I can have security check the video

-----------------------------------------------

An exercise in futility. It makes no difference what is shown on the security video other than for your own personal satisfaction.

As they were no longer there, your packages, and scan sheet were picked up by someone.  We know that there should have been a scan of the sheet which would show all picked up.

Seems that it is fair to say that the initial scan did not happen. Fortunately they all got a scan along the way.  The 1st scan within your handling time is the desired thing, but they have at least gotten into the system which is the bigger goal.

My carriers/offices are great with the scanning.  Regional facility is generally top notch as well, but not always, so it is critical for the "on time" scan from my local folks.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

And even odder  is the acceptance scan today at Hollywood is at 3:05 and the next scan is 5:03 in Jacksonville.  Impossible to travel that far in 2 hours.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@quiltncotton wrote:

And even odder  is the acceptance scan today at Hollywood is at 3:05 and the next scan is 5:03 in Jacksonville.  Impossible to travel that far in 2 hours.

I've noticed in the past that the "Acceptance at Origin Sort Facility" or similar wording shows the Shipped From city, not the location of the sort facility itself. Scans from there on show the actual location of the package, such as  Jacksonville in your case.

Basically, it appears that your carrier didn't know what to do with the SCAN sheet, and ended up doing nothing at all. Thus the first scan for each package in the group didn't occur until each passed through an automated scanner somewhere further down the line. The first in-network scan by USPS is always shown as an Acceptance, even if it doesn't actually occur at the originating post office.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When an initial acceptance scan is missed the scan generally reverts to the ship from zip code even when scanned at another facility.

My carrier had scanner problems in the past. Scanned, but it never transmitted the data for any pick ups, or deliveries.

Also had packages picked up from the "blue" drops by the "contract truck driver" (not USPS employee) that would not get a scan until that evening at the regional facility.

The "acceptance"  scan would be 10-11 PM but would show my local office Zip, and then the regional facility scan.

Same as you, the package could not travel from my zip the the "facility" zip with the short time in between scans.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Date fudging is also not uncommon.  Tracking seems to get "cleaned up" as needed.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply