cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam

Hello to everyone.

I'm a seller with well established account (>13 years, >1500 - 100% positive feedback), I have a customer (registered <1 year ago, feedback score 3) from Japan who bought an expensive brand new guitar processor for $3000 (listed "as no returns accepted"). He received it and 1.5 week later opened a return request "arrived damaged".

He claims that it came with damaged promotional sticker inside the box (it's a free item for any customer who bought this guitar processor), he uploaded photo to the case and I actually can't even see any damage to it.

I've asked to provide me with photos of damaged guitar processor if there is any damage, it's serial number (to check if it's the same unit I've sent to him) and photo of damaged shipping box (to open an insurance case with USPS). He sent just a photo of the sticker...ignoring all over requests.

I've called ebay and told them this story. They said "sorry, you have to accept this request and pay for return shipping and issue a full refund". They don't care that I can prove that the item was shipped in brand new condition (manufacturer started to sell it 1 month ago, I've sent it to the customer 1 week after I received it from manufacturer and I've never turned it on. I can prove every word I say), they don't care that I will totally lose around $1000 because of this joke (returning item worth $3000 because the buyer thinks that free promotional sticker was damaged during shipping) and I really don't understand how ebay customer support works - I am afraid that In the case I accept his request and send him return shipping label, he will send different item to me, some cheap chinese stuff.

It's just unbelievable!!! I've even decied to offer him a partial $50 refund ($50 for free promotional sticker!!!!) and he declined it and said that he will agree if I offer $400-500 refund. He is just truying to get money and abuse ebay system!

I just don't know what to do and eBay don't have any protection for the seller. Maybe someone can advice me something here. I will definentely stop selling on ebay, already stopped my store subsription here and will advise everyone to avoid this place.

Thank you for any advise!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Scam

There is nothing you can do but refund after you get the guitar back..i certainly wouldnt give him a partial...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ebays money back guarentee overrides your "no returns". You can call C/S and plead your case to a (hopefully) sympathetic rep. but ebay is all about making the buyer happy.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Take the $400-$500 refund offer or else you might get back a load of bricks and lose everything. Then vow never to list something that valuable internationally. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

EBay is on the way to becoming a platform where almost everything offered for sale will be $50 or under!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Why would you file a fraudulent insurance claim? USPS isn’t going to pay you 3k on a damage claim when the damage is a promotional sticker. 

You should just agree to the partial refund the buyer requested. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, I've tried to call eBay already several times - they all are like robots reading their templates.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Sure. I've already stopped selling on eBay. It's much better to sell using my own website.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Buyer hardly speaks English. At first I thought there was some damage to the processor, that's why I've asked for it's photos and photos of the shipping box (actually it was shipped in 3 cardboard boxes for extra protection). Now I understand that he has nothing to show and he is just trying to blackmail me.
I will not give him a refund, I would better buy ticket to Japan to go there and find the nearest police department to his home in case he ships me some garbage back.
I've always wanted to visit Japan, so maybe it's a good chance to fulfill this dream))
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@jammusicshop wrote:
... and he is just trying to blackmail me.

I will not give him a refund, I would better buy ticket to Japan to go there and find the nearest police department to his home in case he ships me some garbage back.

Three comments:

1. Blackmail?  Scam?  Maybe ... another possibility is simply that he isn't happy with the product and just wants to return it, or he found a much better price on it after purchase.  Since you have a "no returns" policy, the only way for the buyer to return it is to find something petty to complain about and activate the Money Back Guarantee.
  2. If the buyer opens a MBG case, eBay will refund on your behalf and take the money (or try to take the money) out of your account.
  3. Because eBay's policies do not handle these types of experiences well, we refuse to sell things over $200 on eBay ... simply limiting our exposure to a big loss.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply