cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLERS BEWARE: DON'T buy any type postage bought through Ebay

I sold an item on Ebay for under $100 and purchased the UPS label through Ebay and UPS lost the package. I reimbursed the buyer and UPS paid the claim to Ebay as I filed a 3rd party claim because I purchase the UPS label through Ebay. I have been waiting for my lost item to be either returned to me or Ebay pays me the insurance that comes with the purchased UPS label that I bought through them. UPS has automatic $100 worth of insurance on regular labels which I purchased through Ebay. I just got off the phone with Ebay and they say they can't help me because they don't have the account numbers for UPS only a certain higher ups have it. I said then they should file the insurance claim to get my insurance money. I said how am I supposed to file an insurance claim with UPS when I filed on behalf of a 3rd party claim because I purchased the label through Ebay and Ebay has the account. She said, "sorry" and the phone went silent. So I said that means that I just lost the package and there's nothing you can do? Still she said nothing, except sorry there's nothing I can do. I said but it's your (Ebay) account! Please get my insurance money and pay me what's owed to me for the insurance. Still she was silent. She said sorry there's nothing that can be done. This is ridiculous and not a good way to do business. This is a big wake up call, DON'T buy your shipping labels through Ebay as if anything happens and your package gets lost, you are out of luck getting any type of insurance money for a lost item from Ebay. You will just lose your item and nothing will happen. This will be the risk you take every time you buy any type of shipping label through Ebay.  As big of a business as Ebay is I would think they would take care of their people that makes them money but I guess they don't care about us sellers. I know when a customer has a problem with me I'd rather return their money and have a happy customer than not. Sincerely, a unhappy seller.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: SELLERS BEWARE: DON'T buy any type postage bought through Ebay

Good morning, You're right about media mail you can't buy that type of service online through the "Click and Ship" on the USPS web site. Any other type postage you have insurance which comes with your purchase of the label. Usually Media Mail is only a few dollars which I wouldn't be too worried about losing. I'm really talking about anything over $100. If this was only about $20, $30 or even $50 I wouldn't be worried about it. $100 is a substantial amount of money to lose for me. Thank you, Chris

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

SELLERS BEWARE: Don't try to file an Insurance claim without reading the proper procedures first!

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

SELLER BEWARE: If you buy your postage through Ebay there is NO insurance AT ALL. Your item is lost and you're out of luck. Be prepared to lose the item if it doesn't get shipped back to you. Only account holders can file for insurance claim and it's not your account it's Ebay's account. Ebay will not file an insurance claim on your behalf.  

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

I have been in ebay since february of 2001 ( over 20 years ) and have never ever purchased a UPS ticket through ebay...This is for a couple of reasons...Firstly what is used is a pre printed sticker and l sell stamps. Most of the time i add USPS tracking as i believe ebay insists on it. Secondly the stickers are not philatelic or collectable like stamps are...  I had used a lot of my huge stamp collection which i started in 1965 and as kids dont want it. They said to me " what do we want that S**T for dad???.. That told me everything. iI you take it to a dealer, they pay 50% ( if not less ) of face value of the general items and then a portion of catalogue value of the better items ( if you are lucky ) . The reason is because the younger generation shows no interest other than in mobile phones, texting and computer games so there is no point leaving the collections to the kids.  I then decided to sell off the better items at 60% of retail mainly on ebay ( years ago ) and undercut the other sellers. That worked very well. Ebay got their fees , i got rid of the items at a bigger price and finally the buyers got a bargain (s). Buyers got onto me like bees on a honey pot and with the rest, i used them all on my packages what i sent out when i sold stuff on ebay. I loved to smother the packages ( no matter how big or small to get rid of as much as i can ) . I now buy all the defective hinged ( MLH ) , perfs missing , corners missing that i can find and those i use on the non philatelic items like coins, medallions, cards , banknotes , militaria etc. After all they belong to me and i can do what i like with them.  I am going to add a few pictures of a couple of packages i had sent to brazil and you will see i got rid of a lot on it. This package was all from ebay years ago. With me doing this with the package, i know he would appreciate stamps on his package and not just a dumb adhesive label . He is a stamp collector.  Inside his package were sheets of unused cinderella stamps. That adress is crossed out for the buyers protection...This not only got me full face value but it saved me paying more shipping costs at the post office as in years gone by as l already paid for the stamps over the post office counter. I also got an extra 50% of the face value rather than sell to a dealer.... Over the years i have used up about 70% of my stamps i have but there are a number of very high values ( over the $10 mark ) i am yet to use on packages as i dont do priority mail very much now because the buyers dont want to pay that high price. The only difference is about 4 days from normal mail to priority so i decide to save the buyers some money. Eventually i will get to use those big ones up somehow.... I cannot tell you what to do or not do but i really hope i dont have to come back and say " I TOLD YOU SO...lol " Again all i can say is have some sort of tracking . What i do is when i go to a stamp show, and i see someone is not doing much business, that is the person i go over to and ask them for a deal on unused postage stamps they dont need.

Usually they will like to get rid of values 20c and under.... What is the difference between using 20 x 5c stamps or 2 x 50c stamps?? Usually the price is 50% of face value but it also depends on how much l or anyone else wants to spend. I say the more one spends, the better the discount. Then that will counter act the ebay fees you have to pay out. Ebay will still get all their fees but it wont come out of your pocket or profits from the items old. Personally i would love to be paying ebay  $1000.00 in fees every month. Can you imagine how much would be sold as their commission is close to 10%??? I guess that will never happen nowadays...lol...However you will do as you want....OIOPP yellow pkg.jpgEnvelope NO NAME.jpgbryvgy pkg Name Blocked Rev.jpg

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Buy stamps at the post office and stick them on like what we all do.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Lesson Learned here: Research WHAT to do before ACTUALLY doing it. I've had two dozen lost items in 20+ years - mainly USPS but also UPS & FedEx. Filing a claim is not difficult - just tedious. All paid off in the end. But, you look up how to do it on the site you transact business with to ensure its done properly. When you happen to go off & just do it the way you think is correct, you see another of hundreds of posts like this one happen....

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@chmcde-7177 wrote:

SELLER BEWARE: If you buy your postage through Ebay there is NO insurance AT ALL.

This is not accurate.

You mis-filed the claim. My post above has info about the process that needs to be followed.

My above post also explains that despite the fact you didn't file things correctly, you may still get the reimbursement check in the end (even though it will take a long time).

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@chmcde-7177 wrote:

SELLER BEWARE: If you buy your postage through Ebay there is NO insurance AT ALL. Your item is lost and you're out of luck. Be prepared to lose the item if it doesn't get shipped back to you. Only account holders can file for insurance claim and it's not your account it's Ebay's account. Ebay will not file an insurance claim on your behalf.  

BEWARE that you've now been informed several times (directly & implicitly) that you simply completed the process incorrectly, and this is a predicament you put yourself in. However, instead of reading these replies that state such, you stick to your own false story... Kinda like how you didn't read the process in place for filing an insurance claim on postage purchased through EBay...

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I filed correctly. My item or payment for the item has not been returned to me....yet!

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

I filed the claim correctly but have not seen the item or any money for the item....yet. It's been over a month.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

FYI: I filed correctly and UPS paid the claim to Ebay, I know that for a fact! It's been over a month and have not received any money or my item back to be made whole again.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Unless this is a brand new mode of operating, your statement is incorrect.  I don't usually ship UPS, instead I prefer to ship USPS, and I have made 3 or 4 claims over the years and I filed them as the shipper like I'm supposed to!  I got my refunds just fine.  If you are going to post things, please at least make sure they are accurate.  

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Thanks all for the help but maybe it's a waiting game now. If anything happens I'll sure to post it here. Thanks, Chris

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

But.... you didn't file it correctly, you filed it as a "third party".   What exactly does "third party" mean to you?  I don't know why you keep insisting that you have no fault in this at all...   I haven't ever filed a lost item claim for UPS... I don't ship UPS, we don't have a local drop off location other than a box which will only take very thin boxes or bags.... so I generally ship USPS.  And I have never had a problem filing a claim with USPS as the actual shipper.  I have the tracking numbers, and all I had to do was set up an account at USPS.com.  The first claim was denied and I had to actually appeal it twice.  On the third review it was accepted, and all my claims have been accepted since.   I think with USPS it's a thing to reject your first claim clear through to the final appeal process just to weed out the scammers....  

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

If I shipped it from my own account there would probably be no problems because it's my account. I would just file a claim but I bought postage through Ebay which makes me the 3rd party. I filed correctly! If you buy postage through Ebay you ARE the 3rd party. You have to file a 3rd party claim when buy postage through Ebay because it's not your account, it's Ebay's account. They (UPS) paid the claim to the account holder (Ebay) already. I have proof they paid Ebay. It's been over a month and I have yet to receive my item back or money from the claim (Ebay). Maybe it's just a waiting game now...

Message 30 of 33
latest reply