cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned item was not damaged

I sold an item last week and when the buyer received it he emailed me claiming it was damaged. I was surprised because that piece of equipment had just returned from a qualified technician a few months before and it was working perfectly.  Since anything is possible I decided to accept the return and refunded his money. Upon receiving the equipment I immediately took it to my technician who tested it and found no issues with it. Obviously a case of buyers remorse on the buyer's part. My question, is there anything that ebay can do on a false claim like that in order to get their money back? I lost a sale because I was trying to be fair and here is a guy that is obviously shameless getting away with it.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Returned item was not damaged

report him and block him.

In some cases,they are trying to sell your item or they found  a cheaper price,or they used it and now want to return it,using you as a free rental. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

All you can do is report the buyer for an using the money back guarantee. They won't reverse the buyers refund.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

report him and block him.

In some cases,they are trying to sell your item or they found  a cheaper price,or they used it and now want to return it,using you as a free rental. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

There is nothing you can do when buyers opens a fraudulent SNAD claim. Its VERY common on eBay to have something returned that way, after all, if a buyer can easily get out of paying return shipping, they will. All you can do is block, report the buyer for misuse of the MBG and raise your prices to compensate for the monetary loss. There are mega buyer reporting sites also you can report to so that all sellers (that use those sites) can also block.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

EBay wont do anything

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@phcd1

Yikes! Don't let these people think there's nothing we can do as sellers to prevent this.
We can let eBay know of every policy a buyer who opens false SNAD violates in the process. We can refund them minus the restocking fee (if you have your listing set up that way) and our return shipping fee, when the buyer returns something for a false reason. They DO NOT get away with it when sellers are diligent in reporting these kinds of buyers. Buyers who habitually abuse the MBG can lose their MBG protection from eBay, and they can be suspended indefinitely, and ALL accounts associated with their ip address, their physical address and their paypal account.
This is a serious matter that both eBay and Paypal are aware of, and sellers HAVE TO KNOW how to protect themselves. Sure, false SNADs will happen, but we CAN fight it.

BUYERS BEWARE! DO NOT MISUSE YOUR PROTECTIONS!
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
@phcd1

Yikes! Don't let these people think there's nothing we can do as sellers to prevent this.
We can let eBay know of every policy a buyer who opens false SNAD violates in the process. We can refund them minus the restocking fee (if you have your listing set up that way) and our return shipping fee, when the buyer returns something for a false reason. They DO NOT get away with it when sellers are diligent in reporting these kinds of buyers. Buyers who habitually abuse the MBG can lose their MBG protection from eBay, and they can be suspended indefinitely, and ALL accounts associated with their ip address, their physical address and their paypal account.
This is a serious matter that both eBay and Paypal are aware of, and sellers HAVE TO KNOW how to protect themselves. Sure, false SNADs will happen, but we CAN fight it.

BUYERS BEWARE! DO NOT MISUSE YOUR PROTECTIONS!

Error (buzzing sound) Wrong guess...There is NO WAY you can recover your original shipping, the return shipping nor can you charge a restocking fee on a fraudulent SNAD return UNLESS you fight it and win with eBay (which is VERY time consuming, takes many calls, diligence, patience, a little luck and the moon has to be just right). I have done a few of those and won many of them. Only on buyers remorse cases can you charge a restocking fee. Heck, with SNAD claims, you're lucky to get the same item back you sent!

To prove my point, check out a post I made in Nov 2016 (on this id). Just click on my name and put in the search " SNAD" (no quotes). The 2nd one down is the most clear and blatant misuse of the eBay MBG (its black and white). I dare you read the whole thread and come back here and say what you just said.

Its widely known that buyers can open fraudulent SNAD cases and get 100% of their money back AND return shipping. It's even posted (a  lot) on you tube. There is no reason to hide behind a false notion, blame the perpetrator (eBay or Paypal) not the buyer for failing their sellers and not enforcing the policies they have in writing.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

There is NO WAY you can recover your original shipping, the return shipping nor can you charge a restocking fee on a fraudulent SNAD return UNLESS you fight it and win with eBay (which is VERY time consuming, takes many calls, diligence, patience, a little luck and the moon has to be just right). I have done a few of those and won many of them.

You've been able to withhold original shipping shipping on an SNAD case by fighting it with ebay?  Who refunded the original shipping and how?    In the past I've challenged SNAD cases with ebay and was only successful in getting the buyer to pay return shipping.    No way for me to withhold original shipping upon return however..... or did you just mean the return shipping? 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

There is NO WAY you can recover your original shipping, the return shipping nor can you charge a restocking fee on a fraudulent SNAD return UNLESS you fight it and win with eBay (which is VERY time consuming, takes many calls, diligence, patience, a little luck and the moon has to be just right). I have done a few of those and won many of them.

You've been able to withhold original shipping shipping on an SNAD case by fighting it with ebay?  Who refunded the original shipping and how?    In the past I've challenged SNAD cases with ebay and was only successful in getting the buyer to pay return shipping.    No way for me to withhold original shipping upon return however..... or did you just mean the return shipping? 

Well, kind of. I have had SNAD cases closed in my favor so the item was never returned and they paid original shipping so I guess you can say yes to your question. But my point to @plumbingspecials was that you CAN'T do what he claims can be done. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I blocked the guy from bidding in my items. I think that's all I can do for now.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Yup, unless he changes his userid (which is VERY common for abusers for the system). I suggest you look at buyers common info, name, address phone number when selling. Its sad that eBay doesn't give sellers a tool to block a "user" and not an id. Even an IP would be a plus.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@audiogabby wrote:

I sold an item last week and when the buyer received it he emailed me claiming it was damaged. I was surprised because that piece of equipment had just returned from a qualified technician a few months before and it was working perfectly.  Since anything is possible I decided to accept the return and refunded his money. Upon receiving the equipment I immediately took it to my technician who tested it and found no issues with it. Obviously a case of buyers remorse on the buyer's part. My question, is there anything that ebay can do on a false claim like that in order to get their money back? I lost a sale because I was trying to be fair and here is a guy that is obviously shameless getting away with it.

You know, it's funny. Back several months I sold a Thomas dean shirt. The lady claimed it had been altered. It had not. But I refunded her anyway and got the shirt back. Nothing wrong with the shirt just as I already knew. She left me great feedback for communication. I ended up being out several dollars for shipping. Just blocked her from buying and ate it. It was obviously a remorse. Hubby or bf didn't like it. No biggie. So no I don't think you can do anything about it. Just chalk it up and sell it again. 

Robin

RRR
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I believe it is only available for storeholders.

I fight every FALSE SNAD I receive, usually the leverage is in the messages the buyer sends to me. Most SNADs I receive are buyers who simply did not read the listing details, all the information is there, they just refuse to read and or comprehend it.

(Lie to me? That will cost you a restocking fee and return shipping. Don't lie to me.)
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

You can enter the user's email address which will appear on their "awaiting payment" invoice. So even if they change their userid, you still have their email account blocked. Not sure how much more actual protection that is, but it does help...
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Nothing new here, you provided free rental services with free return shipping. Standard issue. You could try adding a restocking fee, but a simply SNAD will void that right out. And a few years ago, our ebay rep was dismayed as to why we pulled all our DVD listings ?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply