cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return of perfume

Buyer wants to return a bottle of vintage Chanel #5 perfume that I sold which was never opened. She says it does not smell like it should. It had all boxes, etc. Wondering how I should proceed with this.  Should I give her a total refund? It's a rather large sum. If it's return I will not longer have an unopened bottle. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Return of perfume

perfume degrades over time. Open box or not. 

Old perfume won't sell like new perfume.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Perfume can expire even when unopened. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I understand that it would degrade over time,, but I did state in the auction it was vintage, unopened. If I let her return it what do I have?  An open 2 oz bottle of Chanel #5 which now has been devalued. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@rememberthepast wrote:

I understand that it would degrade over time,, but I did state in the auction it was vintage, unopened. If I let her return it what do I have?  An open 2 oz bottle of Chanel #5 which now has been devalued. 

Well kind of, if it actually did degrade then it was already devalued and might have sold for too much.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Perhaps it did sell for too much, that I'm not sure of, but there were 7 other bidders on it as well. I didn't start it off high. So, just because someone doesn't think it smells right, should I have to return their purchase price. Something unsetteling about this situation.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I don't see how you have any grounds to refuse a return.   You have a return policy and it isn't permitted to disallow a remorse return.    If they file a not as described return, then it will be permitted.  The only thing you might try is to state it isn't permitted because they opened it, but in your description you put a question mark and also stated you weren't sure it hadn't been opened, so I doubt that will hold up either.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for your helpful information.  I know it had never been opened, thought I would just cover myself with the ?, guess I was wrong doing that.  I will let her return it and give her a full refund. Just thought it was strange that her Mother said it didn't smell like what she's use to wearing. Hummmm? It's vintage and if she's use to wearing the present Chanel of course it would smell different, it's over 40 years old. Thanks again for your thoughts. Don't want a negative on my Feedback which is small but still 100 percent. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@rememberthepast wrote:

I will let her return it and give her a full refund. Just thought it was strange that her Mother said it didn't smell like what she's use to wearing.

Sure it's just dishonest buyer, vintage perfume never the same like brand new, and values for it.

Should they try to return OPEN perfume bottle to Nordstrom/Bloom's/ etc)))

Accept return, refund, block the buyer and forget.

...how can I see this sold item - to know buyer?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I will give her total refund. Already in progress. I guess you would go to my site if you wanted to see the sold transaction. I will also block her . Thanks for your input.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@fave_looks wrote:

@rememberthepast wrote:

I will let her return it and give her a full refund. Just thought it was strange that her Mother said it didn't smell like what she's use to wearing.

Sure it's just dishonest buyer, vintage perfume never the same like brand new, and values for it.

Should they try to return OPEN perfume bottle to Nordstrom/Bloom's/ etc)))

Accept return, refund, block the buyer and forget.

...how can I see this sold item - to know buyer?

Nordstroms and Bloomingdales would both take back an open bottle of perfume.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@rememberthepast wrote:

I guess you would go to my site if you wanted to see the sold transaction.

Bidders' names hidden in sold items/bid history - so I couldn't block...

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Nordstroms and Bloomingdales would both take back an open bottle of perfume.

OMG))) so I can open original box, wear Eau de Parfum several times and bring it back? Crazy world

Seriously - if used, they give store credit or gift card;)

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@fave_looks wrote:

@rememberthepast wrote:

I guess you would go to my site if you wanted to see the sold transaction.

Bidders' names hidden in sold items/bid history - so I couldn't block...

If you were in a transaction with them you should have their ID already!

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 14 of 14
latest reply