cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reimbursing part of shipping cost to buyer

I had listed an item using USPS flat rate envelope for the shipping service.  However, I am able to use USPS first class (the item including the padding materials weighed less than I had anticipated) instead, saving the buyer a little money.

The buyer has already paid for the item including the original (higher than anticipated) costs but I want to do the right thing and reimburse the "excess" cost I had charged to the buyer.  

How can I do the above?

Best!

JJ

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Reimbursing part of shipping cost to buyer

I applaud you for wanting to save your buyer some money, but before you make any changes to the order you should send a message to your buyer letting them know your intention. 

It could be that the reason they bought your particular item was because of the timeframe for estimated shipping.  Just ask them what they want to do.  Hopefully they respond in a timely manner.

If they don't respond quickly, then it seems like the thing to do would be to send it at the more expensive and slightly quicker shipping.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I appreciate the response.  Sounds like a reasonable suggestion but there isn't really a whole lot of difference in the shipping time and I already printed out the label (at the lower rate) heading out to the post office.

Perhaps I can reimburse after the fact?

Thanks!

JJ

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I asked the buyer just now but I doubt it that I will get an answer very soon!   That said, I am still looking for a way to provide the buyer a partial reimbursement on the shipping cost (after the fact).

Thanks!

JJ

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Hi JJ,

I am also trying to figure out how to give a partial refund to a buyer with this new Managed Payments thing. I find it very frustrating and don't like it at all. Hopefully someone will answer your question and then we can do what we need to do and get on with our lives. 🙂

~Lisa

We all have 2 lives. The second one starts when we realize we only have one.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@windtech1 

In MP go to all orders.

Locate the item

At the left use the down caret to open a window with selections.

It should show "refund" as an option.

Click refund.

Enter an amount.

You will also need to enter a reason for refund.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Hi,

I appreciate it but I don't see a "refund" option.

JJ

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@sun*moonbygrace wrote:

Hi,

JJ

@sun*moonbygrace 

The drop-down menu is to the left of the Order/Paid and shipped. The top line says 'Leave feedback'... punch the arrow and all sorts of options are available.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I recently purchased an item and paid for Priority Small Flat Rate Box.

The seller put everthing into the box, then put it into a mylar first class mailer and sent it to me First Class Package.

Never heard from him about any sort of refund for the difference in cost. In fact, I was never even consulted about the change. It was just done. I was more upset about the fact that it happened without my knowledge or input, than I was the fact that he got a couple of extra bucks beyond what the sale alone would have brought him.

Some buyers will raise a stink about that sort of change. I chose not to in this case because it was an auction item won at a pretty ridiculously low price, but I'll guarantee you I would be asking for a partial refund if it had happened on a BIN item.

You might want to make sure you notify your buyer and the reason why. 

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@sun*moonbygrace You may be quite surprised at the timing difference the shipping options vary from. Currently first class shipping is quite delayed, depending on how far it is traveling. A buyer may have selected your listing because you advertised priority mail. In the TOS is the following:

Sellers must not:

Use a slower shipping service than the one selected by the buyer

Hopefully your buyer will be fine with the downgrade because they will get a partial refund, but keep this in mind for future. While your intentions were honorable enough, you may have unknowingly opened yourself up to a complaint. Best of luck to you....

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@sun*moonbygrace wrote:

I asked the buyer just now but I doubt it that I will get an answer very soon!   That said, I am still looking for a way to provide the buyer a partial reimbursement on the shipping cost (after the fact).

Thanks!

JJ

My response was for a seller in Managed Payments.

You may find the transaction in your PP, and can issue a "partial" from there.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for responding, but I don't see a refund option either. And my PayPal shows no payments received anymore, just payments sent. 

~Lisa

We all have 2 lives. The second one starts when we realize we only have one.
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@windtech1 wrote:

Thank you for responding, but I don't see a refund option either. And my PayPal shows no payments received anymore, just payments sent. 

~Lisa

You are in Managed Payments.

You do not get PP payments.

On my orders (sold items) when I click the down caret to the left of an order

DSCF0001 (2).JPG

I see many things that I can do.

Sorry for the poor photo. Just learning to use a new camera.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@sun*moonbygrace wrote:

Hi,

JJ

@sun*moonbygrace 

The drop-down menu is to the left of the Order/Paid and shipped. The top line says 'Leave feedback'... punch the arrow and all sorts of options are available.

@windtech1 

Use these instructions ^^^ along with @buyselljack2016's blurry picture. LOL

Edit: my instructions are how I do it from Seller Hub/Orders/Paid and shipped. Good luck to you.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I saw this on twitter today.  Post office is having problems with First Class mail in addition to all of their other problems.

Not sure that the new Postmaster General is the right guy for that job.  But who knows?  Maybe these problems were about to show their ugly head to the world anyway.   Not good news!Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.23.35 PM.png

Message 15 of 23
latest reply