cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really frustrated with ebays holiday shipping

So I'm a buyer not a seller. I ordered a single video game off EBAY on NOVEMBER 28th that was supposed to be delivered on the 9th and it hasn't moved from the origin shipping facility since the 3rd. My only two options are to be very very patient and not get my package until possibly after Christmas, or selfishly screw over a seller who did everything right. (I'm not gonna do that, obviously, I have a consience.) Ebay should be held responsible for this, not the sellers.

Meanwhile, I ordered a 100lb+ gaming chair off AMAZON on the 2nd, estimated delivery date of DECEMBER 20th and it showed up in less than a week. The first package was shipped via USPS, the second shipped via UPS. The UPS guy even made sure to deliver the package to my apartment door on a trolley so it wouldnt be stolen from the breezeway(UPS and FEDEX packages tend to get left out front and stolen))

Is ebay trying to ruin Christmas for sellers AND buyers by having unreasonable Estimated Delivery Dates and very hands off customer service? People arent gonna get their Christmas Gifts on-time and sellers are gonna end up shafted for no reason because people will refund Christmas gifts that are late without thinking about it . At this point I would consider not using Ebay at all if only Amazon took paypal credit.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I suspect EBay likely would simply counter argue that some packages arrive early, some arrive on time & EBay didn't know your purchase would be delayed, so didn't factor that into the estimated delivery date.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You basically answered and explained the issue. UPS vs USPS. Both have delays but USPS are extreme! Ebay knows this happens every holiday season but mostly due to covid USPS packages are very delayed in many cases. Ebay tried to gloss it over hoping it would just be a bump but it's more like a giant pothole.

Your package is about to move. Mine that are stuck from the Thanksgiving shipping weekend just did. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Why would you even blame eBay for shipping  delays?  eBay isn't  delivering your package. The estimated delivery date is the seller's handling time plus the number of days the CARRIER (USPS) says it takes to deliver. For example, USPS  says Priority Mail is 1-3 days and eBay adds the seller's handling time to that. Media Mail is 2-8 plus handling time.  If the packages aren't being delivered  to you it is the **bleep** post office you should blame for not hiring enough people to get the job done. Or blame the pandemic for causing  most people to stay home and shop online. But for sure your thinking is stinking to think this is eBay's fault why your package is late.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Ebay could at the very least inform buyers before they pay that shipping delays are likely and they probably won't get their package when expected. Of course ebay isn't going to do that because it would cost them some sales.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@britt-casey wrote:

Meanwhile, I ordered a 100lb+ gaming chair off AMAZON on the 2nd, estimated delivery date of DECEMBER 20th and it showed up in less than a week. The first package was shipped via USPS, the second shipped via UPS.

My daughter is waiting for an Amazon Prime package that is now 19 days late. I believe it's shipped UPS (not sure, I'd have to ask her). Can I blame Ebay for that one?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I just had a package delivered this morning to a buyer that was shipped Priority Mail via USPS on November 30. It definitely wasn't eBay's fault, or mine, or USPS's--it's just we hit a perfect storm for shipping through the postal system with the holidays and the pandemic. How could we expect much different in the year of 2020 where nothing has been normal...lol. My buyer was patient, surely frustrated (as was I), and still got his package.  Like you, I've had good luck with UPS this holiday season, but could also post tons of stories about times they have totally dropped the ball without a pandemic or holiday rush. I would encourage you to hang in there--I'm sure it will arrive. Good luck to you.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I am also a buyer. I purposed tried to avoid Amazon this Christmas to help out smaller companies. I ordered DVDs from 4 different sellers on Ebay 12/3. I received 1. The other 3 are sitting in USPS distribution centers. I have no idea if I will receive them by Christmas.

This type of service is unacceptable these days. I understand it is not the seller. I propose that Ebay work on a different type of shipping with either USPS First Class or Fed Ex/UPS. Almost everything I order from Amazon I get in 2 - 4 days.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

My daughter is waiting for an Amazon Prime package that is now 19 days late. I believe it's shipped UPS (not sure, I'd have to ask her). Can I blame Ebay for that one?

You think that's bad, I went to Target and they were sold out of Playstation 5's.   

Thanks for ruining christmas, EBAY!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I can say from a seller standpoint the **** hit the fan the weekend of Thanksgiving, when you said you ordered your item. All of our orders were moving fine through USPS right until that point. Then everything went to hell. I can ship 30 packages in a day, 1/3 of them get to the buyer with no issues and the other 2/3 get stuck at some hub somewhere. I'm grateful to you that you at least recognize it was not your sellers fault. There are many buyers that are irate, understandably so, and blaming the seller. 
As a seller who refuses to sell on Amazon because they treat their sellers HORRIBLY, I would say don't give up on Ebay sellers just yet. Personally I am a small business and rely on my sales and would hate that this turns off buyers and I lose my business. 
Just a suggestion, maybe reach out to the seller before you purchase and ask them when they think the item will arrive. I have people ask me that all the time and I give them my best estimate based on what I am seeing from my orders. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I feel for you not getting your package on time, This happened in August to a Bunch of orders .I have 20 packages just sitting around in Distribution centers or where ever. I just put my account on hold until

After Christmas, Tired of Having to explain over and over .Good That you are waiting patiently, I had a seller open a case and had to refund him. That's when I learned about Package Retrieval so hopefully ,since its sitting around when they scan it again, its get sent back. You seem like a Good buyer, I'm glad there are people like you .

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

They will be there by Christmas. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I have four packages "out there" in the USPS system, sent from my selling ID to four buyers.   So far everyone has been quite patient and reasonable.

The oldest was mailed on November 14. four and a half weeks ago.  The buyer has not started an INR.  I am considering issuing a full refund and just saying Happy Holidays to them.   

It is so frustrating when I , as the seller, can do nothing to help move these things along.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

When a seller waits a week to ship in December when the present was paid for 2 weeks before Christmas, then uses ups ground. I blame the seller for getting the package days after Christmas.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply