cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about selecting Priority Mail

I'm shipping a something in a padded flat rate envelope and I'm charging the customer for shipping:

1) do I select "flat: same cost to all buyers"?

2) it asks for "cost", do I enter the determined cost for shipping something in a padded flat rate envelope? For me it shows $7.55

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Question about selecting Priority Mail

You may as well select flat cost to all as it will be the same price no matter where they live in the US.

Also select a price a little above what ebay charges you.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Choose same to all as the flat rate prices are same for everywhere. You can put the exact cost as shown, but there is an eBay discount. If you are using any other packaging you might want to factor that into your costs.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

thanks, why should I charge a little more than what ebay charges?

So just to be clear, if I'm not including "free shipping" that means the customer pays the cost of shipping, do I enter the cost of Priority Mail + a little extra (as you suggested)? in the "cost" field?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The way that you described  will work.  

But IMHO  it would be better to set up calculated shipping and then choose the padded FRE because (1) you won't have to look up the price; and (2) the calculated price that is shown in your listing will change automatically when USPS rates go up next month.

Also, the eBay shipping calculator is set by default to charge the retail cost, so there's already a built-in handling fee.  You can change your shipping preferences if you want the calculator to show the online price (currently $7.55; goes up to $7.75 on January 26).

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

interesting, I thought calculated shipping field is only used when you're using anything that is NOT a set price (priority boxes/envelopes)

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Don't forget that ebay takes a fee of 10% of what you charge for shipping on top of their Final value Fee for the sale price of the item.  That's why you add a little more to your shipping charge. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Well, now you know additional reasons to use it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

what % do you normally mark up shipping?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@jeffrey000 wrote:

what % do you normally mark up shipping?

While there are a few exceptions my rule is generally to charge retail prices.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I don't mark up shipping I mark up the item to cover the shipping cost.  Small packages under 1 lb ship for free.  Large packages under 12" x 12" x 12" ship Priority Mail, although I list them as Parcel Select and then upgrade to Priority at no cost to the buyer because the prices of each are just pennies apart.  Extra Large packages get shipped either Parcel Select or Retail Ground depending on where they are going.  I try to avoid these last ones as much as possible. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply