cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with zip code

When I tried to print a label on ebay, I got this message "Error generating label: Missing or invalid Ship to postal code" (97251-9616). I checked paypal and the address and zip are the same. I tried to print the label on paypal and the zip code changed to 97230.  Which zip should I use?

I contacted the buyer, but have not heard back.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Problem with zip code

@shevey55 

If you don't hear back from the buyer before the shipping deadline I would cancel the order using "problem with buyer's address". 

You lose seller protections if you ship to a different zipcode than shows on the order.   I would not print from paypal as the zip change will still void your seller protections.

Cancelling with this reason doesn't give you a defect.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@shevey55 wrote:

When I tried to print a label on ebay, I got this message "Error generating label: Missing or invalid Ship to postal code" (97251-9616). I checked paypal and the address and zip are the same. I tried to print the label on paypal and the zip code changed to 97230.  Which zip should I use?

I contacted the buyer, but have not heard back.

According to this article dated July 25, 2019, the ZIP + 4 has recently changed. It looks like it is up to eBay/PayPal to update their confirmation software?

https://www.buyandship.today/en/blog/2019/07/25/brand-new-us-warehouse-zip-code-more-smooth-and-spee...

There are several other articles referencing the change in ZIP for Buyandship. I would contact eBay/PayPal, or change the ZIP to the correct one (the ZIP + 4) manually, but that's up to you. I know the ZIP Code is included in the USPS barcode, so I'm not sure whether that would even work. Read the articles and see what you think is best.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If she changes the zip in paypal, will it change in the system and show when I print the label? When I googled the address, 97230 shows as the correct zip. It doesn't show the plus 4.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the link. 97251-9616 is the correct zip for that address. But when I edited it in paypal, it converted back to the wrong one. Can I cross it out on the package and write in the correct zip? Or is the barcode going to still show the old zip?

Will calling ebay or paypal do any good?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Do what is mentioned in post #2.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@shevey55 wrote:

Thank you for the link. 97251-9616 is the correct zip for that address. But when I edited it in paypal, it converted back to the wrong one. Can I cross it out on the package and write in the correct zip? Or is the barcode going to still show the old zip?

Will calling ebay or paypal do any good?

Okay--a couple of things: eBay and/or PayPal most likely use a ZIP Code validation service that has not updated the change in ZIP Code for that address yet. (My office uses "Melissa.") Contacting eBay or PayPal probably won't get the ZIP Code issue straightened out for awhile--it's not like a customer service rep can just correct the file, since it's probably the validation service that has to make the update. 

Second, using the old ZIP Code this soon after the change will probably still work, although I couldn't confirm that with an internet search. If you are interested, you could call your local post office and ask them for some guidance.

Third, you could buy your label at the post office window. I know it would cost more, but it's an option.

Fourth, my guess is the ZIP Code will revert to the one in the validation company's file for your buyer, too, so s/he probably won't be able to update the ZIP Code either. It might be worth a try, but I don't think s/he'll have any more success than you did.

If you change the label manually, the barcode will still read the old ZIP Code, so I don't know what kind of complication it would cause down the line.

I guess, if you have the time, you could call eBay and/or PayPal and ask their advice. Again, I imagine their validation service will pick up the change in due time. It's not unusual for USPS to create new ZIP Codes or change existing ones, so I'm sure these validation companies get a feed every so often.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks. I did find a link that says the old one will still work. https://www.facebook.com/pg/buyandship.my/posts/

I think I'll cross off the old one and write in the new one.  Right now either one should get it there I hope.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply