cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority boxes or your own boxes?

Long-time bookseller and media seller=primarily Media mail. I am working on branching out to other things which can't go MM. I have been creating listings that offer Priority (my box) and Ground Advantage. 

I am confused as to how to incorporate the Priority boxes. Should I determine the right size box and add it to the list of shipping options? Do  you always use Priority boxes and not your own? I guess if you sell clothes the question is different because you use envelopes or mylar bags. I'm not going to venture into that field. I have dishes, paints, sewing patterns and games at the moment.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I use both. but it seems to me... both ways are very similiar in cost.  If you want to mail a piece of slate- if it fits it ships. 😊

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

Long-time bookseller and media seller=primarily Media mail. I am working on branching out to other things which can't go MM. I have been creating listings that offer Priority (my box) and Ground Advantage. 

I am confused as to how to incorporate the Priority boxes. Should I determine the right size box and add it to the list of shipping options? Do  you always use Priority boxes and not your own? I guess if you sell clothes the question is different because you use envelopes or mylar bags. I'm not going to venture into that field. I have dishes, paints, sewing patterns and games at the moment.

Don't worry about priority box or not unless you're using the flat rate boxes - just use the box that best fits your items for a safe arrival and if you use calculated shipping, enter those dimensions.

For flat rate boxes, you'll need to decide if it's cheaper to ship that way than any other box.

It's actually really simple - the best box for whatever you're selling. After a while you'll get a grasp on which PM boxes you use the most and can order those to have a stock of them.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Usually when I am listing I just weigh the item, add a little for the box, guesstimate the box size and then when it sells figure out exactly what I am going to ship it in and the exact size and weight

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Generally I only use priority mail when I am shipping using a priority mail flat rate box. I only use the priority mail flat rate boxes when I already know that regardless of the buyers location there is no cheaper way to ship the item where the package has tracking an insurance.

Most of the time those are heavy packages. For example I have shipped some 30-60 pound boxes using a USPS medium flat rate box. I have also used some priority mail flat rate envelopes to send some pretty heavy items in. Again I have already determined there is no cheaper way to ship the item. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Get yourself some sample "Flat Rate" Boxes...there are medium flat rate and large flat rate that handle heavy items well....

Once your weight hits a certain level, Flat Rate is the way to go......

I think you can still get a "sample" pack delivered to your house from USPS to check the different options......sometimes flat rate is too expensive, and other times priority is better than Ground Advantage (which can't use the free boxes)

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-flat-rate-boxes-variety-pack-P_...

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Why limit yourself to the flat rate boxes? USPS offers several other free boxes and envelopes that are specifically for Priority Mail.  It would make sense to review the available options, and order some in every size that might be useful.  eBay's excellent Priority Mail discounts mean that Priority is often cheaper than Ground Advantage.

https://store.usps.com/store/results/free-shipping-supplies/shipping-supplies/priority-mail/_/N-alnx...

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Do not limit yourself to boxes,

You have items some items which will travel well in stayflat mailers, and bubble envelopes, just like your books can.

They are adequately protective, weigh less and take less time to pack.

You might also decide to limit what you sell to what fits well in your favored package.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I guess that is another reason to figure out Priority boxes. I use Endicia and aside from the flat rate envelope didn't generally ship Priority so I am not up to speed on Ebay's discount. Is it's more than Endicia's for example?

I actually do have quite a few flat rate Priority boxes in the mix downstairs including the Regional boxes which I've kept due to my understanding they can still be used for plain Priority. 

I don't know how much stuff I'll have that will fit into a Priority box (though I do realize them come in lots of sizes). Maybe I do need to go to the  USPS site an d see what they have. 

I don't see using the thin boxes for dishes, right? 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

"30-60 pound boxes using a USPS medium flat rate box. "

That must be startling to the mail handlers! 😯

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

I guess that is another reason to figure out Priority boxes. I use Endicia and aside from the flat rate envelope didn't generally ship Priority so I am not up to speed on Ebay's discount. Is it's more than Endicia's for example?

I actually do have quite a few flat rate Priority boxes in the mix downstairs including the Regional boxes which I've kept due to my understanding they can still be used for plain Priority. 

I don't know how much stuff I'll have that will fit into a Priority box (though I do realize them come in lots of sizes). Maybe I do need to go to the  USPS site an d see what they have. 

I don't see using the thin boxes for dishes, right? 

🤤It would probably be good if you got used to selling other items before you got to the dishes. They take special handling and packing - a search online will give you lots of good info on safe packing.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

On another thread there was a tip about  using mattress toppers to pack dishes! But you are right, I need to do my research. I've only ever, that I recall, shipped something glass before and I used a lot of bubble wrap.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

If I am shipping "Priority" and have a Priority box that the item fits into I use that. Otherwise, it's a brown box. Being on a coast with some (many) sales with distant buyers I often use GA due to the cost.

I have #4, #7, the now defunct Regional use" "A" and "B" , 1092, 1097,  1095, and the no longer Flat Rate "C" box.

I have most all of the "Flat Rate" boxes and the Padded Flat Rate Envelope, but there of course I check the ship cost compared to non "flat rate".

If I know something is going to ship Pri Flat Rate" I list as such. I offer Priority as a second option that the buyer can select when not flat.

In the past options would show in the order chosen by the seller, but on recent searches I have noted that "eBay" actually shifts the choices to present them in an order that AI determines to be best for the buyer. Not sure if that happens with all.

If my buyer chooses GA, and "my online cost" is lower, same, close I upgrade the shipping to Priority.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

That must be startling to the mail handlers! 

Yes I generally get some funny comments when I take them to the post office to get them scanned and get a receipt. Usually it's lead ingots or tools. You are allowed up to 70 pounds but I have never hit the limit but have come close. You would be amazed at what you can also squeeze into a flat rate envelope. I have shipped some sheet lead that way. 

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

That must be startling to the mail handlers! 😯

I'll bet it is. And aside from that, I would consider double-boxing items that are that heavy, to help prevent them from busting their way out of their own packaging once the tumbling and sorting starts at the sort facility. If you're not comfortable with tossing your own package down your stairs, beef up your packaging strategy. 

Some years back, I was helping the spouse pack up some Scott Stamp catalog volumes, which were massive, heavy books, and although they were a good fit in the Flat Rate Medium boxes, I still glued down the box flaps for reinforcement against bursting open in case of a hard fall.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply