cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority boxes or your own boxes?

Long-time bookseller and media seller=primarily Media mail. I am working on branching out to other things which can't go MM. I have been creating listings that offer Priority (my box) and Ground Advantage. 

I am confused as to how to incorporate the Priority boxes. Should I determine the right size box and add it to the list of shipping options? Do  you always use Priority boxes and not your own? I guess if you sell clothes the question is different because you use envelopes or mylar bags. I'm not going to venture into that field. I have dishes, paints, sewing patterns and games at the moment.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Priority boxes or your own boxes?

I have a 50-pounder packaged (double boxed) waiting for someone to make the buy.

Thanks for the glue the flaps idea. I am going to make a note right now to put with that box.

I also have a wide roll of strapping tape at the packing table with expectations of a strip in each direction.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I keep a case of duct tape on hand and use it for any boxes I want to tape down more securely than wide filament tape.  I talked to my guy about a rumor I heard that the USPS doesn't like duct tape though. So far so good, no boxes have ever been returned. 

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

"30-60 pound boxes using a USPS medium flat rate box. "

That must be startling to the mail handlers! 😯

That's when these come in handy. It let's those workers know.....this package will require a strong healthy back.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/caution-heavy-id-sticker-label-P_Label_035CH 

20240122_100419824.jpeg

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

"30-60 pound boxes using a USPS medium flat rate box. "

That must be startling to the mail handlers! 

I'll bet it is. And aside from that, I would consider double-boxing items that are that heavy, to help prevent them from busting their way out of their own packaging once the tumbling and sorting starts at the sort facility. If you're not comfortable with tossing your own package down your stairs, beef up your packaging strategy. 

Some years back, I was helping the spouse pack up some Scott Stamp catalog volumes, which were massive, heavy books, and although they were a good fit in the Flat Rate Medium boxes, I still glued down the box flaps for reinforcement against bursting open in case of a hard fall.

O I do for sure. This is a 40 pound box of lead ingots in a medium flat rate box. There is a 3/4" top that goes on the box before it is shipped and some pads that go inside around the ingots to keep them from shifting around. 

box.jpg

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Generally I only use priority mail when I am shipping using a priority mail flat rate box. I only use the priority mail flat rate boxes when I already know that regardless of the buyers location there is no cheaper way to ship the item where the package has tracking an insurance.

Most of the time those are heavy packages. For example I have shipped some 30-60 pound boxes using a USPS medium flat rate box. I have also used some priority mail flat rate envelopes to send some pretty heavy items in. Again I have already determined there is no cheaper way to ship the item. 

I used to use flat rate a lot but anymore they are usually considerably higher than other options with the exception of very heavy compact items

As far as the "Free" Priority mail insurance my experience with it is that it is worthless and I no longer waste the time filing a claim

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@bashort wrote: ... I used to use flat rate a lot but anymore they are usually considerably higher than other options with the exception of very heavy compact items...

Each time USPS revises their fees, it's worthwhile to double-check where the break points are that make the flat rate boxes a better deal.  I haven't explored eBay's new rates, which might have slightly different thresholds, but at the published Commercial rates, the Priority Medium FRB is cheaper if you are shipping  3 pounds to Zone 7+, 5 pounds to Zone 6+, 8 pounds to Zone 5+, etc.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

If you list the item as priority, you can either use your own box or a flat rate, depending on the location/weight.  You don't have to delineate that in your listing.  Play it safe and just say priority and then choose when the sale comes in.  Use whichever costs less.  Have both types of boxes on hand.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

I keep a case of duct tape on hand and use it for any boxes I want to tape down more securely than wide filament tape.  I talked to my guy about a rumor I heard that the USPS doesn't like duct tape though. So far so good, no boxes have ever been returned. 

@keziak  The reason for not liking duct tape (neither does UPS) is the adhesive can 'melt' under certain conditions and basically lets go. I would not use it after I saw bits starting to peel off a large box I was mailing one hot day. I chatted with an employee at the UPS office I use and she explained the problem.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

What do you use instead?

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Generally I only use priority mail when I am shipping using a priority mail flat rate box. I only use the priority mail flat rate boxes when I already know that regardless of the buyers location there is no cheaper way to ship the item where the package has tracking an insurance.

Most of the time those are heavy packages. For example I have shipped some 30-60 pound boxes using a USPS medium flat rate box. I have also used some priority mail flat rate envelopes to send some pretty heavy items in. Again I have already determined there is no cheaper way to ship the item. 

I used to use flat rate a lot but anymore they are usually considerably higher than other options with the exception of very heavy compact items

Same experience I have. 

As far as the "Free" Priority mail insurance my experience with it is that it is worthless and I no longer waste the time filing a claim

It depends on what the claim relates to. I have had three claims in the last six months or so. All were for lost items. Two as a seller for packages I shipped. I refunded the buyer when the package did not arrive and filed claims with USPS. Both were resolved quickly and I was refunded for the value of the item. The other was for a package I was supposed to receive but never did. I also filed the claim for that one which was also approved and I was fully refunded for the item as well as the shipping since I had actually paid for it. 

Damage claims are a different animal and I have both won and lost those claims. The key to being able to win is having the buyers cooperation while working through the claim .

Message 25 of 25
latest reply