cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing off shipping info for a old order Amish family.

Its been so long  since I needed it that I cant quickly find a simple explanation i can print out. Anyone that has this can you help by posting a link.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Printing off shipping info for a old order Amish family.

Again, thank you for helping your friends/neighbors.  I am sure they appreciate it.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Have been given to understand that lja440 is an experienced mail carrier as well as eBayer.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

I live in the Mansfield Ohio area... LOTS of Amish and Mennonites around our area. 

There are usually post offices near the orders in our area (or satellite offices)... within buggy distance, or these folks have drivers.  They get around more than you would think!

BUT I think as a USPS employee, you could advise them on Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes?  Or advise them to charge maybe a flat $25 fee for shipping? I mean, based on weight and distance, what is the most expensive way to ship?

Just my thoughts

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@pickermall wrote:

I live in the Mansfield Ohio area... LOTS of Amish and Mennonites around our area. 

There are usually post offices near the orders in our area (or satellite offices)... within buggy distance, or these folks have drivers.  They get around more than you would think!

BUT I think as a USPS employee, you could advise them on Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes?  Or advise them to charge maybe a flat $25 fee for shipping? I mean, based on weight and distance, what is the most expensive way to ship?

Just my thoughts

Of course, there are offices one is around 15 miles away and is open 4 hours a day, the other is 20 miles away from them.

And sorry but there is no way I would tell them to use a flat rate box for a one pound package.  And no way would it be ethical for them to charge a $25 flat rate to ship  what they make. They make church clothes for their order, something like what is shown in this link Amish Church Clothing (8 Photos) (amishamerica.com) 

What I am trying to do is put together a simple guide  to shipping options. Something that they can work out postage without me having to reject packages or without them over paying.  After all you wouldn't like being ripped off either, would you?

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Do they really need to know the exact postage cost, or can't they just provide the necessary label inputs info (name, address, package weight, chosen service) to the person who purchases their labels and sends them the PDF?

They simply need to know what I mentioned above:  that (1) package weight must be accurate; (2) the free Priority Mail boxes must have Priority labels, and (3) the Priority flat rate packaging must have specific flat rate postage.

As for choosing which service to use, they should use First Class package for weights up to one pound, and Parcel Select Ground for heavier packages unless there's a rush and the buyer is willing to pay for Priority.

To figure out exact postage without using an online shipping calculator, they need the components mentioned above: Package weight, buyer's ZIP Code, Zone chart, and the appropriate pricing page from Notice 123.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

No, I wouldn't want them or anyone else ripped off... BUT you mentioned 1 to 2 pound boxes... not knowing where they ship from or to, either. I mean several of the Amish families I know have relatives in New York, Wisconsin, Kentucky, etc.

BUT, if they have a scale and a measuring tape (which I'm sure they would), they can certainly weigh and measure the package, and send that information to the recipient, who can figure out how they want it sent?

Just trying to be helpful with the little bit of info I'm reading in your posts

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Do they really need to know the exact postage cost, or can't they just provide the necessary label inputs info (name, address, package weight, chosen service) to the person who purchases their labels and sends them the PDF?

They simply need to know what I mentioned above:  that (1) package weight must be accurate; (2) the free Priority Mail boxes must have Priority labels, and (3) the Priority flat rate packaging must have specific flat rate postage.

As for choosing which service to use, they should use First Class package for weights up to one pound, and Parcel Select Ground for heavier packages unless there's a rush and the buyer is willing to pay for Priority.

To figure out exact postage without using an online shipping calculator, they need the components mentioned above: Package weight, buyer's ZIP Code, Zone chart, and the appropriate pricing page from Notice 123.

I think they should know what the postage is and what they are being charged for the label. Is the person organizing the label charging them a $1 or 10% or whatever?  If it is too high is it over and above what retail is?

As to where they are shipping to They ship mainly by the limited sample I have it is mainly in Ohio there was a box to Pa and one to Florida. I want to give them a zone chart to explain that in some cases a MFRB or RR may be cheaper but flat rate will be higher to the closer areas than a plain box.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@lja440 wrote: ... They ship mainly by the limited sample I have it is mainly in Ohio there was a box to Pa and one to Florida. I want to give them a zone chart to explain that in some cases a MFRB or RR may be cheaper but flat rate will be higher to the closer areas than a plain box.

Regional rates were discontinued in January. The Regional boxes are now used like regular Priority Mail boxes, with postage based on weight and distance.

IMHO if pricing is an issue they should just stick with Parcel Select Ground.  The MFRB costs more than shipping 11 pounds to Zone 4 so it would rarely if ever be the best choice.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@lja440 wrote: ... They ship mainly by the limited sample I have it is mainly in Ohio there was a box to Pa and one to Florida. I want to give them a zone chart to explain that in some cases a MFRB or RR may be cheaper but flat rate will be higher to the closer areas than a plain box.

Regional rates were discontinued in January. The Regional boxes are now used like regular Priority Mail boxes, with postage based on weight and distance.

IMHO if pricing is an issue they should just stick with Parcel Select Ground.  The MFRB costs more than shipping 11 pounds to Zone 4 so it would rarely if ever be the best choice.

Really, I haven't heard that the RR was discontinued .

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Just a couple weeks ago.  You can still use the boxes but have to ship Priority and use the real weight.   

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Here's the official announcement from USPS.  

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Regional-Rate-Boxes

This had been planned for a while: There were no Regional rates in the new Notice 123 (that went into effect on January 23) when the rates were first proposed last October.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Here's the official announcement from USPS.  

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Regional-Rate-Boxes

This had been planned for a while: There were no Regional rates in the new Notice 123 (that went into effect on January 23) when the rates were first proposed last October.

I'm not surprised we didn't hear about it. we haven't had a Postmaster in 2 years, the series of PMR's that we have been sent seldom last more than a few weeks. I can't remember when the last stand up talk was. 

I'm in constant motion from the time I arrive at work (an hour to an hour and a half BEFORE clock in) and getting back just in time to catch the outgoing mail truck.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

I can't believe they have cellphones now.  I guess some Amish have to change with the times.  In the 1979 episode of Barney Miller, the Amish man was not allowed to use a telephone.  In the episode, I think the man could only talk on the telephone if someone else answered the ring or dialed for them.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the old joke here is that Amish are not allowed to own phones but they will sure use your phone a lot.

A group of local Amish are typically driven around in a large SUV by someone else. I've seen in Goodwill, Salvation Army, at various auctions, Wal-Mart, Menards, Mills Fleet Farm.

The few Mennonites I've seen still use horse and buggies, but must also be drive around as I see them attending auctions where it would take a very long time. I've never seen them at any retail stores. They tend to be even more plainly dressed than the Amish, with woman wearing dresses and bonnets. The men wear trousers with no buttons or zippers, but they do use suspenders. Typically the men have a long beard and hat. They buy a lot of the old farm items such as tools and pressure cookers to be used rather than resold. I've sold them some old dictionaries for their kids to use in school.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

What about power tools?  The Amish have to use hand tools, hand drills, and hand saws? Just curious. 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply