cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid for Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail), item shipped about a week later with UPS Ground?

Hi all! 

First time posting here -

I purchased an item from a seller on eBay and the only option for shipping was Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®) for around $20 - the item itself is about 6 pounds (according to the tracking number) and is pretty small (could easily fit in a Medium flat rate with plenty of room). 

I purchased the item on Jan 29, 2019 (Tuesday) and it was shipped out the next week on Monday (Feb 4, 2019). I guess this is fine, the listing didn't really state how long handling time was. Estimated delivery when I bought the item was on Feb 6th. 

However, I noticed that when the tracking number was added, it was a UPS tracking number - after checking, it turns out that the item was actually sent with UPS Ground, not USPS Priority Mail. Is there anything I could do about this situation?

The listing specifically states that USPS priority mail will be used, and the item description even says "

Shipped with USPS Priority Mail." Should I message the seller and ask for a refund on the shipping? Or go through eBay?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Paid for Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail), item shipped about a week later with UPS Groun

On the 89th hand, people who ship UPS or FedEx  sometimes don't ship to PO boxes because the Post Office/FedEx/UPS is not set up for that type of delivery.  If the buyer expected and chose USPS because of that issue but the seller changed it to UPS and there was a problem, definitely the seller's fault.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Re: Paid for Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail), item shipped about a week later with UPS Groun

>>so what are my options at this point?

What is your goal? A pound of flesh? You want to return it? You want "compensation"?

It is technically SNAD if delivered after the EDD. If you want to return it on the seller's dime that's an option.

Getting a partial is not unless the seller agrees which he apparently does not at this point.
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Thank you all for the responses - I've decided that it's fine and let it slide, despite it being a bit deceptive as others have mentioned.. I ordered stuff over a week later and it's arriving quicker than this item, but that's just how it is sometimes!

Thanks!

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Glad you're good with the final situation. You got your thing, and hopefully the seller learned something from this.
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>so what are my options at this point?

What is your goal? A pound of flesh? You want to return it? You want "compensation"?

It is technically SNAD if delivered after the EDD. If you want to return it on the seller's dime that's an option.

Getting a partial is not unless the seller agrees which he apparently does not at this point.

I wanted to highlight the above good information!

Blues have clarified that if you paid for shipping via Shipper A and item arrives via Shipper B, but within the Estimated Delivery Date (EDD), then the MBG does not kick in.  Only if the package arrives late; then late delivery is valid reason for filing a case for Not As Described (NAD or SNAD).  In the NAD case one can send the item back for a full refund on the seller's dime for shipping.

However, if shipping options were available and one paid for a faster shipping method, that would change the EDD to a shorter time period.  But then the same scenario as above kicks in - IF the item gets delivered by the EDD, it appears to not matter to eBay what method was used (or "paid for").    And again, missing the EDD is a valid reason for a SNAD.  Does not appear to be a system in place to protect buyers from a Shipper A vs Shipper B situation, nor partial refunds.  Seems a bit "off" but apparently thems the rules.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Another thing to remember, isnt UPS guaranteed delivery on the day in question?  Priority isnt, USPS just gives an estimate.  You could still be waiting for your item way past the 11th.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@mikeystoyz wrote:

Another thing to remember, isnt UPS guaranteed delivery on the day in question?  Priority isnt, USPS just gives an estimate.  You could still be waiting for your item way past the 11th.

Good point. It says everywhere, even in the title, that it will be delivered by UPS.

!

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

What are you guys talking about? 

Both USPS Priority Mail and especially UPS Ground do not "guarantee" any delivery date, they only provide estimates. You'd have to look at Priority Mail Express or something equivalent from UPS to have a "guaranteed" delivery date. 

USPS Priority mail packages usually take only 1-3 business days, no matter where in the US they've been shipped from, to arrive. The estimated delivery date is almost always spot on, or even earlier. The seller stated that he would use USPS Priority Mail to ship the item, and charged $20 for the shipping - this was the only shipping option, and UPS was never mentioned. If shipped with USPS, I would have already had this item already, without a shadow of a doubt.

UPS, however, is an entirely different story, as shipping times take well over 5+ business days to typically arrive for me. The estimated delivery dates almost always get changed as well, usually later. UPS Delivery Dates are NOT guaranteed - to emphasis this point, the package has already been delayed and will likely NOT arrive by the 11th - almost 2 weeks after I purchased something that should have been here in 3 business days.

To put this into perspective, I have bought 4 things AFTER making this purchase.  All of those items were shipped with USPS, either Priority Mail or First Class. All 4 things have already arrived, while I'm still waiting for this UPS package to come, now learning that it is delayed beyond what was already a late delivery..

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Unless the item couldn't be legally shipped via Priority Mail, the seller should have adhered to the terms of the contract.  Even if it couldn't be shipped PM, the seller should have contacted you prior to shipping by another method.  Of course, if the item was listed with PM shipping when it couldn't be shipped that way, it would be the seller's error.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

All UPS domestic shipments have a guaranteed delivery time.  Read their tariffs. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Sorry, UPS ground is 4 days.  It is stated as 4 days and it will get to you in 4 days.  If it will take 5 days they will tell you.  Priority is not guaranteed and you will normally get it in 2 to 3 days, normally.  You will also normally not get priority in 2 to 3 days.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

USPS almost always arrives in 2-3 days: For example, I purchased an item on Wed 6th, and on the 8th it had already arrived 🙂

UPS on the other hand... "Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery."

You also just countered your own statement.. twice!
"it will get to you in 4 days. If it will take 5 days... "
"you will normally get it in 2 to 3 days, normally. You will also normally not get priority in 2 to 3 days."
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

>>You also just countered your own statement.. twice!

No he didn't. UPS Ground is day definite, and given delivery dates are based on distance, how rural the destination is, and known weather and other network delays. And, as Sam said, it is guaranteed if you read the UPS tariffs in the UPS service guide.

An old UPS delivery time map generated relative to Sacramento, CA as the origin:

ups_delivery_times_map_0596.gif

Although USPS performance is usually pretty good, their 1-3 day numbers are meaningless, and not any sort of guarantee - just marketing **bleep**. They don't consider a Priority Mail pkg to be missing until 15 days after mailing.

All carriers are subject to weather delays - a snowed in airport or road stops USPS trucks and planes the same as UPS or FedEx trucks and planes. Read these forums - there are all sorts of observations about multiple day USPS delays due to the recent storms.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply