cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid for Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail), item shipped about a week later with UPS Ground?

Hi all! 

First time posting here -

I purchased an item from a seller on eBay and the only option for shipping was Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®) for around $20 - the item itself is about 6 pounds (according to the tracking number) and is pretty small (could easily fit in a Medium flat rate with plenty of room). 

I purchased the item on Jan 29, 2019 (Tuesday) and it was shipped out the next week on Monday (Feb 4, 2019). I guess this is fine, the listing didn't really state how long handling time was. Estimated delivery when I bought the item was on Feb 6th. 

However, I noticed that when the tracking number was added, it was a UPS tracking number - after checking, it turns out that the item was actually sent with UPS Ground, not USPS Priority Mail. Is there anything I could do about this situation?

The listing specifically states that USPS priority mail will be used, and the item description even says "

Shipped with USPS Priority Mail." Should I message the seller and ask for a refund on the shipping? Or go through eBay?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Paid for Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail), item shipped about a week later with UPS Ground?

Although I can understand that it is important that the seller communicate accurately, if the item arrives on or about the date that it is due, then what do you care whether it was USPS or UPS that delivers it?

Many sellers on here are not well-oiled businesses - many are individual sellers who often make well below minimum wage to provide customers with unique products at low prices.  If your seller fits into this box, then I think it is unreasonable to hold them to the standards of efficiency and accuracy of a large business.  So, as long as it really isn't affecting you that much, perhaps you could let this mistake slide ...

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Listings always show an estimated delivery time although it may be hidden on the shipping tab.

How I would deal with the seller would depend in their selling experience. Shipping should never be downgraded by a seller. If they have been doing this a long time they should know better.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Will the item arrive on or about the estimated date of arrival?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@phonomity wrote:

Hi all! 

First time posting here -

I purchased an item from a seller on eBay and the only option for shipping was Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail®) for around $20 - the item itself is about 6 pounds (according to the tracking number) and is pretty small (could easily fit in a Medium flat rate with plenty of room). 

I purchased the item on Jan 29, 2019 (Tuesday) and it was shipped out the next week on Monday (Feb 4, 2019). I guess this is fine, the listing didn't really state how long handling time was. Estimated delivery when I bought the item was on Feb 6th. 

However, I noticed that when the tracking number was added, it was a UPS tracking number - after checking, it turns out that the item was actually sent with UPS Ground, not USPS Priority Mail. Is there anything I could do about this situation?

The listing specifically states that USPS priority mail will be used, and the item description even says "

Shipped with USPS Priority Mail." Should I message the seller and ask for a refund on the shipping? Or go through eBay?

A seller can upgrade shipping from economy to standard and so forth, but downgrading Priority to UPS is being sneaky IMO. Perhaps an inexperienced seller?

As long as you receive your package within the estimated arrival dates, it shouldn't matter too much.

Leave appropriate feedback at your discretion. 

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

The item was originally estimated to arrive by tomorrow, Wednesday Feb 6th. UPS estimates that the item will be delivered Monday Feb. 11th. Forgot to include that info in the original post:)

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

You could file an Item Not Received complaint. 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

You could file an Item Not Received complaint. 

OP @phonomity can't start an Item Not Received complaint until Thursday Feb 7th, the day after the estimated delivery date, and then can't ask eBay to step in until Wednesday Feb 13th, after 3 business days.

Meanwhile, tracking is expected to show Delivered on Monday Feb 11th, the complaint closes, and then OP cannot leave feedback. Did you think this through, ma'am?

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

My response depends on the experience of the seller. They sound like they are newer if they didn't know that shipping flat rate would be cheaper. If they are a newer seller, I would cut them a break. I would probably message them and kindly let them know of the cheaper flat rate options.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

1.  I am not familiar with UPS shipping rates but am familiar with USPS shipping as this is the carrier we always use.

2.  But I have heard the USPS shipping is less expensive than UPS for similar  services.

3.  My experience says that standard Priority Shipping and USPS Select Ground service are almost the  same cost.  

4.  My  experience also  says that Priority Flat mailing, other than small FR boxes or Padded Flat Rate envelopes, are not the best  choice to  ship from a price  stand point.   We have found that The Regional Rate A & B boxes are  the better  choice from a cost std. point when shipping - especially items  over 5 lbs.  Have not figured out if this still holds true with the 2019 USPS price changes - but haven't  had a reason to check it out - i.e. no sales Smiley Mad.  We  may have shipped  4 or  5 medium or large Flat Rate packages out of 1523 items shipped.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Feedback doesn't count against the seller.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@phonomity wrote:

Ask the seller for a refund of the difference between the shipping that you paid for and the shipping that they used.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for all of the replies!

A item not received wouldn’t work because the item actually most likely WILL be received.. just on 2/11, not the 2/6 or earlier that was originally stated by eBay. 

Might fit fit under that Not as Described category, since the description literally says “Shipped with USPS Priority mail”

I might just contact the seller and see if there’s anything that can be done there.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I got a reply from the seller stating that he went to UPS thinking it would be cheaper to ship but ended up paying $25 for the package.. which means there’s no “difference” to pay back, so what are my options at this point? 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Neg.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply