cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package shipped Nov. 8th still "in transit to next facility"

I sold an item on Nov. 7th and shipped it out Nov. 8th by USPS Ground Advantage. I used an eBay label like I always do which comes with tracking and insurance. The past 3 updates on the tracking have been only this:

Nov 12, 2023

12:00am
In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving On Time

Nov 10, 2023

Nov 9, 2023

A couple days ago the latest update changed to:

"Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

The latest dated update on USPS website says:

Moving Through Network

In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late

November 12, 2023

I contacted the buyer and told them about the delay notification from the USPS and said I would keep an eye on the tracking for anymore updates and if I don't get one soon I would see what I can do next. So my question is, if I don't get an update on the tracking soon, what should I do next? I just want to make sure I go through the proper steps in case something is wrong with the shipment. The package did not have to travel far, only 1 state away from me. That is also why I am a bit concerned on why it has not been delivered yet, or why I have not received anymore updates since the 12th if something is wrong with the shipment. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@casey-86 wrote:

So my question is, if I don't get an update on the tracking soon, what should I do next?

Nothing. It will get there. If it's not, after 3 weeks, usps considers it lost. 

Just know that

a.) this happens about 5% of the time

b.) I've shipped over 20,000 packages the past 10+ years, all of the USPS, and ALL of them have ALWAYS got to their final destination. 2 to 10 business days.

I've had a Priority Package take 9 business days to get from Nevada to Texas, while a 1st Class Package went to NY in 2 days, FL 3 days etc.

The BEST part is they recognize the package and state it will be late. 

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

As already stated, it will get there....eventually.

Up here in the Northeast I have had a lot of delays with the new "USPS Ground Advantage", my shipments are on average taking 2-3 days longer to get to the destination.

Give it another week, then fill out a package request search thru USPS. I had to do this recently, the package got there (4 weeks later).

I saw the same thing you are seeing on the tracking status for your shipment. Your package is probably off to the side, the updates you are getting (at 12:00 am) are bot generated and mean nothing, until someone finds your package and moves it back on track the updates will be the same. I think mine was stuck in one of those canvas push carts?

Hang in there.

• Oct 13, 2023

• Oct 12, 2023

• Oct 11, 2023

• Oct 10, 2023

• Oct 9, 2023
    3:45pm
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    SACRAMENTO CA DISTRIBUTION CENT, 95799
  • Oct 9, 2023

• Oct 8, 2023

• Oct 7, 2023

• Oct 6, 2023
    11:16am
    DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    CHICOPEE, MA 01022

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Calling the usps with tracking number ready and request a package research case to be opened or just fill out the missing mail form online, but as a sender you have to wait until 7 business days after the estimated delivery date,  but buyer/receiver can call and give the where is my package pretty much anytime. 

Tizz the season! Happy holidays to all!

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I've stayed in contact with the buyer to let them know I am watching the tracking and will let them know when I see any new updates. I'm hoping something new will show up on the tracking by morning so at least it will let me know its still moving through the system. I guess right now it all depends how long the buyer is willing to wait. Going through USPS to do a search for the package takes time I think and I can't even start that process for a few more days from what I understand. I worry about things like giving a refund just to have the package be delivered afterwards and things like that. I'm just hoping the tracking updates soon with something new.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@casey-86  Also note; ebay is 1 day behind the usps website,  so check the tracking number there and then update your buyer. 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@casey-86  Also note; ebay is 1 day behind the usps website,  so check the tracking number there and then update your buyer. 

I am. I figured the USPS website was the best place to keep updated on the tracking. So far there is still no update since the 12th. I'm starting to think the package is lost in the mail somewhere. The item I sold was for exactly $100 (minus tax and shipping) and the eBay label I purchased said it came with up to $100 insurance for USPS Ground Advantage. If it is lost I guess that means I won't be at a complete lost but I've never used the insurance service with USPS before so I don't know how that process goes.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I have the same problem with delays of items with tracking. Something going on. I have one that was suppose to be delivered yesterday and 2 are suppose to be delivered today.

But my items with no tracking are having no problems with getting across USA in 3-5 days.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I got burned like that from an item out of california....august 15, stall says its 'delayed" and here we are mid november...it hit a distribution hub and it disappeared....usps didnt do one thing for me after i put in a request. Contacted the office of inspector general, they said it didnt constitute an investigation...i guess i was a small item to deal with when they want bigger publicity catching drugs and crime syndicate rings inside the post office... theft is a big problem within the USPS system but of course they want to gloss that over especially when they dont want people abandoning their shoddy service while they hemorrhage millions of dollars each year....would not surprise me in the least if they go belly up like sears and roebuck in 5-10 years.

Indeed the USPS system has become a pathetic spectacle and will eventually become that joke delivery service that only stuff a mailbox full with stupid advertisements because no one can simply trust to use them anymore

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

And I will say ts happened more than once too!  It hits a distribution hub and never is seen again within the system, internal theft plain and simple

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

First off dont count on it getting there! I had several items I ordered lately that never made it! Shipping address was correct, but simply never arrived here....its internal theft plain and simple...mostly sewing machine parts.....probably looks like gift cards or drugs etc and the worker shoves it up their sleeve and off to the bathroom they go! I bet the local sewer system is littered with unwanted items and smaller opened packages, flushed down the toilet  

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I opened a missing mail search request for the package yesterday. The tracking updated with the notification that this was done so now I have to wait and see if it even helps. My question is how long should I wait before issuing a refund to the buyer? I'm worried I'll do it too soon just to have the package randomly start moving again and it get delivered. I read on the USPS website that I have to wait at least 45 days for USPS Ground Advantage before I can file a claim for this service. 45 days?! I mean I am glad it came with included insurance up to $100 (which is what the item sold for) but that seems like a very long time for something that should be delivered in less than a week.

How long should I wait on the refund? I am staying in contact with the buyer to keep them updated of what I am doing on my end but eventually situations like this get to a point where I just feel like a refund is in order but then you never know when or if the package will show an update.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are wasting your time, the usps system is broken and they can't , don't or won't simply fix the theft problem or other delivery issues.....that coupled with 45 days for a refund from those idiots .awesome it even tougher to deal with them....use another carrier! 

Likewise, ebay can't even help you, you spend good money with ebay and they simply stand back say they can't do anything about it or offer you a pep talk....when this stuff happens, you don't need a pep talk , you  need an advocate!

Between ebay and the shysters within the usps system, it simply is futile to sell in ebay...I could understand the 11% plus fees but with that fee comes absolutely  nothing for you in these type of events, all the while those within the usps system essentially  tell you " oh well, just try again, you might get lucky"

Stop using the usps system and find another selling site!

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

My only concern right now is making sure this transaction ends with a positive resolution for both me and the buyer. I'm just here seeking advice on when and how I should go about doing that. Right now I have the missing mail search request active and awaiting an update from that. I have no idea how that process goes. I feel like I've done everything I can do on my part apart from issuing a refund. I just don't know when would be the appropriate time to consider that given the package could start moving again.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I wanted to ask, if the package is determined to be lost by the USPS missing mail search request then who files for the insurance that was included with the eBay label? Me or the buyer? I would assume I issue a full refund and I do the insurance claim, but I've never done this before so I have no idea how this process works.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply