cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered Aluminium (METAL) window screen; seller sent worthless PLASTIC. How does return process work

I ordered aluminum window screen (made out of metal). I got that cheap plastic stuff that isn't useful even to repair window screens much less for the purpose I need it. (MUST be metal.)

As this cost me $75+ I want to know what my options are besides chucking it in the trash where it belongs?

I don't own a printer. Would I have to buy a printer and print out the label? Or could I have someone else log into my account, print it for me, and mail it to me? Or have the seller mail it to me?

What if that took longer than the 30 days allowed? (I didn't open it right away - waited until the day I had time to install it.

Once the label is printed, does that cover the return postage? $12.95 of the price was for shipping costs. Or would I have to find some way to pay the post office to ship it back?

It won't fit in the mailbox, but they left it in there sticking out, so maybe they'd pick up from there sticking out if no one took it while it sites there on a remote country road.

Is there no way to flag items with obviously incorrect descriptions so others don't get taken? I tried leaving a review of the product, but maybe it will go into moderation?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ordered Aluminium (METAL) window screen; seller sent worthless PLASTIC. How does return process

Go to the Resolution Center, or to My eBay >> Purchase History, and file a claim for item not matching description.  You are not responsible for return shipping costs, but you will need to be able to print out a shipping label and return the item.

If eBay does not allow you to open a MBG claim on the item (because it has been more than 30 days since you received the screen), then you can do a similar claim on PayPal.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: Ordered Aluminium (METAL) window screen; seller sent worthless PLASTIC. How does return process

Thank you so much for the response. So the label covers the shipping if he wants it back? And I just stick it back on there and send it?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

So much for that idea. eBay will not let you request a return, replacement or refund unless you have a credit or debit card on your PayPal account.

Or maybe you have to have the full amount of the original purchase available in your balance and not just the cost for shipping. I'm going to guess you have to have a credit card to return anything.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The Money Back Guarantee is only available for 30 days after delivery.  They would hold the seller accountable for return shipping expenses.

If you paid via PayPal, you can open a Not As Described claim there for up to 180 days from purchase date, but the only thing is you would be responsible for return shipping expenses.  They cannot bill the seller.  If you do go that route and buy postage at the counter, you would need to be sure to upload the tracking number to the return claim.

- Suzanne -
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

My order date is May 17, 2019 so I'm still within the 30 days. But if you can only complete the eBay process with a debit or credit card and you don't have one, there is no return process (unless the seller responds and is willing to send me the return label.

Is there any advantage to opening a claim in PayPal before the 30 days ends?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@trainyourhorse wrote:

So much for that idea. eBay will not let you request a return, replacement or refund unless you have a credit or debit card on your PayPal account.

Sounds like you clicked the wrong reason for return @trainyourhorse:

http://tamebay.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/New-Return-Reasons.jpg

Which reason did you choose?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

>>My order date is May 17, 2019 so I'm still within the 30 days.

You have 30 days from when it was delivered for the eBay MBG 30 day timeframe - you are well within it.

180 days from the purchase date with PayPal - but you pay return shipping there unless in PayPal's free return shipping program thing. If you open a PayPal case, eBay is done with you for any resolution, so proceed carefully.)

There is no advantage to going to PayPal before 30 days, and as I said, it ends eBay's involvement completely.

>>But if you can only complete the eBay process with a debit or credit card and you don't have one

Haven't dealt wit that as a buyer or seller, but suspect is is, as reda3615 posited, that you chose the wrong return reason. If you chose a remorse reason (one of the first 5 in that screenshot), you pay for return shipping, and yes, they would expect a payment source to immediately bill you for that. If a SNAD (significantly not as described) reason (one of the last 6) is chosen, the seller is responsible for the return shipping cost, his account is billed, and you shouldn't need a credit card.

As far as printing the label goes - that is really a you problem, and it isn't an unreasonable expectation that buyers do so. There isn't an online venue I'm aware of that doesn't expect the buyer to print out a return label for a return - unless they included a return service label in the original shipment- which isn't an option for small sellers or 3rd party marketplaces).

In theory, I would have no problem helping out with printing a label and mailing it to you, BUT I can not. If I logged into your eBay account, our accounts would be linked by IP, and all manner of issues can arise down the road, and I need to protect my account (it is unfortunate that there is no way to do so - it prevents helping out other eBay users for numerous issues.)
Might be doable with a VPN, but I no longer have one, and eBay gets all crabby regarding logins with those also.

IF you were to print the label to PDF and email it to me, I could print it and mail it to you, but there could be problems with the return timeframe - you have to have it in the mail system and scanned as such within 5 days of the seller accepting the return (or I believe the seller can have the case closed and you are done). That would require a lot of correct timing (you printing it to PDF which could be problematic if you haven't done it before), getting it attached to an email and sent, me seeing your email (Zzzzzzzzz, Snore....), me getting it printed (need coffee...), getting it mailed, and hoping USPS doesn't send it on a detour to Nova Scotia (unlikely) or otherwise delayed. Then you have to get it to the PO and in the system before the 5 days is up.

Places like FedEx Office (Kinkos), UPS stores, maybe Office Depot, Office Max, etc have computers and printers that can be used to print out a label for a small fee. I have never done it, but you should be able to either login to your eBay account on their computers and print from there - assuming you have no problem security wise logging in to an account from a public machine (which I would never do - but my tin foil hat is very thick), or better, print the label to a PDF file on your home computer, copy that to a flash drive, and drag that to FedEx Office or wherever and print that document.

Or if you have a friend or neighbor with a printer you could print it there.

I would get you printing plan in place before you initiate the return because of that 5 day window.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@trainyourhorse wrote:

Or maybe you have to have the full amount of the original purchase available in your balance and not just the cost for shipping. I'm going to guess you have to have a credit card to return anything.

Something is wrong here.  I've never heard of this. 

I would suggest you call eBay Customer Service and speak with someone about the block you are experiencing ... perhaps (as someone mentioned above), you selected the wrong return reason.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yeah go to your nearest FedEx Office & Print. Had to do it when my printer broke and had no printer for a while. Go to one of their Xerox machine kiosks with your downloaded the label as pdf on a USB flash drive. Stick a debit or credit card in the kiosk thingy when prompted, then stick the USB drive in when prompted, select black and white print or it'll cost 60-65 cents for color print as opposed to 14 or so cents (they add tax). They'll put a 10 dollar temporary charge on your card and then in a day or two charge the correct amount and remove the 10 dollar charge when payment is processed by FedEx.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply