cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New policy? What does this mean?

We’re reaching out to let you know that, starting May 15, your listings that display calculated shipping will default to showing eBay Labels discounted shipping rates. The new default rates will apply to all of your active and future listings that offer calculated shipping; listings with free or flat rate shipping won’t be affected.

We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost. To get the discounted rate that will be displayed on your listing, make sure to purchase your shipping labels through eBay Labels.

---------------

I don't use 'calculated shipping', I do a fixed cost for my small light shipments.

This won't have any effect on me ... right?

So, for you sellers that DO use calculated shipping, they're taking the extra bump out of shipping which, I assume helps to cover the cost of shipping supplies, and your time.  That's gone too, now?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: New policy? What does this mean?

@123sharonb wrote: ...At worst I was thinking this change would actually change nothing from my perspective....Now, I'm just completely confused.

You're right: It will change nothing for you, because the retail price and the eBay label price for Media Mail are identical.  There is no eBay label discount for Media Mail, so this announcement has no effect on the MM prices that buyers will be shown in listings.

Message 31 of 52
latest reply

They will probably just opt us back in after enough time goes by.  I might just add a handling fee in the shipping polies just to be done with it. 

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

What gets me is that if a seller wants to offer the discounted shipping price to buyers, they can already do this. So if we have chosen to not do this, why force us to use this?

And I would really like if they would just confirm that I have opted out after doing whatever that survey was. Because if they don't, I will be forced to end my listings once again. I don't make a profit, I'm just one of the people trying to reduce what they own and get back a few pennies of what they spent. So taking more of my money isn't okay. Plus I don't use their shipping labels for everything, so I will be damned if I am going to pay out even more for shipping plus insurance. 

Another round of wasting sellers' time and energy for something that really only bulk sellers want. And eBay will lose money in fees from since sellers will be collecting less for each sale.

I'm angry because once again this stupidity is wasting my time that I could be using to list new items on here. 

Message 33 of 52
latest reply

I already offer them my discount on calculated shipping. Most of my stuff IS calculated shipping. I add in a handling fee to cover the percentage eBay takes. I am opting out.  I do not trust them and don't wanna be surprised with something like "there is no more handling fee" or some crazy crap. LOL 

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

I didn’t receive this message from eBay and I offer calculated shipping. Is there a location on eBay I should look for this message or does it not apply to every seller offering calculated shipping?

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

Opted out as well. However, the opt out form does not confirm you are opted out, it takes you to a survey.  Ebay should not be changing listings in any way without the seller's permission.

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

I simply don't get it. My listings already calculate the eBay discounted shipping, not retail, so what does this notice mean to me? Sure, it passes on my discount to the seller who always hates shipping costs even discounted, but what does this new plan do for me? I still have to pay a percentage to eBay on all monies collected including the discount shipping I already purchase through eBay so????? 

Another thing some of you may not be aware of is that a small percentage of shipping costs are cheaper at PirateShip. Your sales can be imported to the site and it automatically updates your eBay account with tracking info. 95% of the time their prices match eBay's but on a few; Pirate Ship is cheaper. You're still going to pay commission on the shipping cost because eBay collected it, but your outlay may be a little less.

I still am confused how this new policy will affect me since I already give calculated discounts and the email said it was changing "your listings". Honestly, I wonder if I should opt out or not because mine already calculate the discounted price.  It seems eBay is always finding a way to get more money from sellers and I wonder if this somehow takes yet another cut.  Very confused here.

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

My question about this policy is will ebay quit collecting fees on calculated shipping? Right now if ebay collects $10 they get $2 in fees +/-. If ebay charges a buyer $10 for shipping they take their percentage 1st and what ever is left I use for shipping costs. 

If all they are doing is collecting shipping costs and they take 20% does that mean we lose 20% on all shipping?

Message 38 of 52
latest reply

I do not agree with this, like this and will not use this!!  BUT I've tried opting out numerous times and every time I get "Session expired - Refresh page and try again".  Ebays way to force me into it.  Also don't like Ebay telling me what shipping options I can use - I've been selling for 24 years and know what options to use.  At this rate, it won't be long before I stop selling on Ebay completely.

Message 39 of 52
latest reply

@motorcycle-tourer wrote:

I simply don't get it. My listings already calculate the eBay discounted shipping, not retail, so what does this notice mean to me? ...

I still am confused how this new policy will affect me since I already give calculated discounts and the email said it was changing "your listings". ...

The reference to "your listings" was just a generic email text.  Since you already are set up to share eBay's discount, the new policy will have no effect on your listings.

Message 40 of 52
latest reply

i opted out and ebay let me opt out, but if it’s like ebay internat’l shipping, as my listings renew i’ll have to opt out again and again until the opt out “takes”

i miss the days of ebay having an insurance calculator and NOT taking 13% off the top of money i never see (taxes and shipping)

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

You have to watch Ebay carefully. I recently listed an item for First Class mail. When I went to print the label, first class was grayed out! Buyer bought at the First Class rate, but I was forced to pay for a label for Ground Advantage. Called Ebay, foreign rep had no real answer except that I had added a s/h fee and this should compensate me. This forced up-sell on shipping also happened before with that Post Select (forget the name) being grayed out when it came time to buy the label. Also, Ebay recently forced international sales on sellers which I would not touch with a 10 ft pole, so I opted out.  Again, watch Ebay very, very carefully.

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

@lp9999au wrote:

You have to watch Ebay carefully. I recently listed an item for First Class mail. When I went to print the label, first class was grayed out! Buyer bought at the First Class rate, but I was forced to pay for a label for Ground Advantage.....

eBay just doesn't sell postage labels for First Class mail, either letters or flats (AKA Large envelopes).  You can mail them at the PO or just put stamps on.  

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up happening.    I can imagine eBay taking a total average sale price based on the closest thing to your listing title the algorithm can find, (including auction sale prices), and forcing that price on us "to attract more buyers to your listing".    This forced shipping adjustment train wreck is an abomination, and probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

If Ebay didn't offer First Class Postage, then why was First Class Postage an available option when I listed my item????

Message 45 of 52
latest reply