cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing my Top Rated Seller Status due to Ebays Policy I can't Offer Free Returns

I have been a seller on ebay for 15 years, and a top rated seller since the program began. I don't agree with the free return policy, but I was willing to give it a try so as not to lose my top rated seller status and get lowered in search. Today I called ebay CS and have been transfered 3 times.  I wanted a clear clarification on exactly how this works before I opted in. I am a drop shipper I have 3 different address that returns go to. My suppliers all furnish prepaid labels for any defective, damaged or wrong item sent I do not have to pay for those.  I was told I can not furnish my own prepaid labels on free returns ebay will automatically send the buyer a label and charge my account. On buyer remorse items as I have it set up now the buyer pays I select what address I want the return to go to and provide a RA#  With free returns I understand I will now pay for the return shipping only ebay informed me that I can no longer select an address to return to all returns will now go to my home address.

This will bankrupt me, as my suppliers refund me back the cost of the item when return to them.

So thanks to ebay I will be lowered in search, and loss my top rated seller status because I can't offer free returns due to the way they set the policy up. So unfair. I could if they allow me to send my own prepaid label and select the address and provide a RA# for the return. But they said that is not an option at this time.  Whats even scarier is the on CS rep who was really nice and bent over backwards to find out exactly what the details was on this free return policy after being on hold, came back and asked if I could hold a little longer while he checked on somethng he found but could not disclose to me. So what is in that free return policy that affects the sellers but they can not disclose it to us??

anyone who wants to try this out really needs to call CS and get everything confirmed first.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Losing my Top Rated Seller Status due to Ebays Policy I can't Offer Free Returns

eBay's search seems to be trending away from the "best match" strategy that balanced out visibility for sellers, moving listings around like a lava lamp ... this meant that over-priced items frequently rose up and got purchased.  As a result, eBay has been a great platform for drop shippers.

I believe eBay is moving to the "buy box", which focuses much more on price.   As that happens, I think the drop shipping model is going to struggle.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Re: Losing my Top Rated Seller Status due to Ebays Policy I can't Offer Free Returns

Just a small clarification: Free returns are required for getting the TR-Plus badge on your listings, but not for TRS status per se.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@dm2756 wrote:

I have been a seller on ebay for 15 years, and a top rated seller since the program began. I don't agree with the free return policy, but I was willing to give it a try so as not to lose my top rated seller status and get lowered in search. 

You won't lose your TRS status if you don't offer free returns, you will lose your TRS+ status listings, therefore the 10% discount and the TRS+ badge on those listings. What else we will lose, I don't know 😞

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

I've been a top rated power seller seller since 2001...and I know what you mean.

These new policies really suck.

I can't afford to offer free returns...or 30 day returns either, and you all know the reasons why. Nothing like having what was a brand new skirt returned after 3 1/2 weeks that was obviously worn, damaged and dirty.

Now that we only get a 10% discount on final value fees, it just isn't worth it....just too many hoops to jump through, and I'm done jumping. Period.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

You being a drop shipper will not work with free returns. It will affect the the drop shippers in a big way since you can't use your own return labels. 

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Thats the Price of DROPSHIPPING and Not Carrying inventory. 

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

this new 30 to 60 day return is very hard for those of us older ebay sellers that offer antiques, art , jewelry and collectibles from estates as another dealer can buy it and if they do not sell within the 30 to 60 day period return it for money back. No legitimate auction house works that way with these type of things. We too always had 14 day returns no problem if not as represented Now we will be forced to take no returns and be lower in search as well. the policy is truly unfair to the sellers who help pay the ebay salaries

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

You will not lose TRS for not offering free returns, you just will not get the TRS benefits on your listings that do not offer free returns. You do NOT have t offer to keep your status, you just have to ship your items within the handling times and resolve your cases. No discounts and no badge will appear on those listings. There really is no incentive for sellers now. None.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

So crazy !  In what universe are "free returns" the standard ???      Sure customers want free shipping and free returns, but this is the real world  !   This policy is only going to attract unreasonable customers.   

And, this  will drive away even more Ebay sellers --and lets remember, most Ebay sellers are also big Ebay customers.  After many years, I will also be unable to maintain the Top Seller standard.  Disappointed Ebay does not seem to value the many good, small sellers out here:(

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

They've already stated that their "future" is China.

So...thanks for the memories. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Love, ebay
Message 11 of 33
latest reply

I have read what it says, now is that what it will be. Could ebay really mean that the badge and all the benefits of trs will not apply to that listing. Mainly worried about the shipping cost.
Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@tripper101 wrote:
I have read what it says, now is that what it will be. Could ebay really mean that the badge and all the benefits of trs will not apply to that listing. Mainly worried about the shipping cost.

The requirements for TR-Plus are the same as for getting the 10% final value fee credit.

Top Rated Sellers pay the Commercial Plus rate for all of their Priority Mail shipping labels, including for items that weren't TR-Plus listings.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

I sold a 2005 Volvo Stereo system $149.99, the buyer received the item and replied on the eBay message system that it was "excellent!" 3 days later I get the return request. I asked what the problem was and he gave me 3 completely different ridiculous stories. So he's a liar but I do returns so whatever.....I get the item back smashed AND missing parts. Ended up costing me the item - $$$ - shipping BOTH ways because it was free shipping to begin with AND eBay refused to refund eBay final valuation FEES! All totaling a little under $200 theft. I appealed the eBay descision 3 times, eBay said repeatedly "they do not guarantee returns." If you don't offer returns your visibility will suffer so I still offer returns but I had to remove all my most expensive merchandise from eBay.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

I switched to free returns and have not noticed any increase in sales or search results, I check my visibility on a different computer and ISP and there are no increase in visibility at this date.
Message 15 of 33
latest reply