cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam of some sort?

Please help me out here.. I won a bid for a camera for $800. I have 100% feedback and I’ve been a member for over 15 years. Seller has zero feedback. Item showed delivered a week ago but I did not receive the package. Seller has always been unresponsive - before the item shipped and after it was ‘delivered’ so I filed a claim. After eBay contacted the seller they sent a single message saying “item sent, contact ebay if theres any problem”. I also reached out to USPS and they confirmed package was delivered to a “TOTALLY DIFFERENT address within the same ZIP”. I sent this information to the seller, no response. Now ebay just messaged me to say they closed the case and won’t be issuing a refund. I really can’t afford this loss, what do I do? 😞 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is this a scam of some sort?

I'm sorry this is what happened to you

You can still file an appeal but if you want it to be successful I'd follow these steps.

1) you need a statement from the carrier that the tracking wasn't sent to your address on the order.

2) with that statement file a police report because you were scammed.

3) scan those documents you'll want them for your appeal if they emailed that's fine.

4) Contact eBay on facebook at facebook.com/ebayforbusiness these are the most experienced reps you will get. Tell them you were scammed with fake tracking scam and tell them you need to appeal a decision and let them know the evidence you have for your appeal.

In the future you might not want to make 800 dollar purchases with someone that has no rating and reputation.

I'd try this first. Next step will be chargeback if you can't get eBay to listen.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I honestly thought eBay was above this and was encouraged by their so called buyer protection.

ebay for business facebook won’t open on my computer. Maybe it’s not available outside of the US?

How else can I contact them?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

EBay has buyer protections but according to all the current evidence you are the one being untruthful.

That's why you need the carrier to show the information in the system is wrong.

Can you access twitter? twitter.com/askebay

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

After USPS called me I asked the rep to email me what she told me and she did just that. I don’t understand how ebay doesn’t see this as evidence. It states clearly that the package with X tracking number was delivered to a different address.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I mean they should have considered it.

The social media teams are basically a bit better than normal eBay support as the social media team isnt outsourced.

You really need to relay your evidence and get them to review the situation.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@ronoa-49,

You have been the victim of a fake tracking scam, the seller's send something, an envelope or small box with tracking to a different address, and uses the Delivered scan to win an Item Not Received (INR) dispute. 

eBay's automated INR system is not allowed access to anything but the scan information, due to shipping company's privacy policies.  When you file a dispute and lose in the message there should  be an appeal button.  You have 30 days from losing the dispute to appeal, but in order to win you have to do some leg work. The info below is what you have do do when this happens with any shipping agency.

You will have to go to your P.O. or  a local UPS or FedEx store.  You need to bring a copy of your order details page which shows your address and the tracking number with you. If you bought using a phone or tablet, you can bring that to show the clerk the order details.

You want to ask the clerk to check the label address against yours, and also to check the Package type/size weight info to see if was is appropriate for what you should have received.  If the info does not match up, you ask the clerk to write a note on Company stationary saying in general that the shipping label's address was not yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight was not right for what you should have received. Do not ask for specific address or package info, they cannot give it out.  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

Once you have the note, you can appeal the dispute ruling,  by appealing the original decision. You have 30 days from the date the note declining your dispute was sent, to appeal.  If you have appealed and lost, You can  contact ebay through their Facebook or Twitter social media pages using the (links below) You can write out what happened and what you found out, and add a CLEAR photo or a scan of the note to an appeal or message.  If you go the social media route which is recommended, because the reps know about the fake tracking scams you will need to have the seller's username and the ebay item number. At the end of your message give them your real and ebay username. 

FYI. You do not need to get a police report, the police will not take one for a Tracking number scam, especially one perpetrated by a foreign seller, they have no way of invstigating.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

You replied to @robbie31415 :

"ebay for business facebook won’t open on my computer. Maybe it’s not available outside of the US?"

Your profile shows you are registered in the U.S. but the above reply indicates that you do not live here.  If you do live outside of the U.S., that is something you should have told us in your topic.  Maybe your Facebook search was not written correctly, so try the link above, after you have the note.

"Please help me out here.. I won a bid for a camera for $800. I have 100% feedback and I’ve been a member for over 15 years. Seller has zero feedback". 

Buying from (0) feedback sellers is always a risk. Most new sellers do not know about the 21 day hold ebay will place on their first few payments, and because the payment status on their account shows Pending, they do not ship. The may take ebay's poor advice to start auctions at a very low price, to encourage bidding, which often results in only getting a few bids, and them not wanting to sell the item for the low price. In the last couple of years there are more (0) sellers from outside of the U.S. perpetuating scams on higher end items.  Your 100% rating means nothing if you are only a buyer, because buyers cannot receive negative feedback.  Your reputation is therefore based on the feedback you leave for sellers, which you do not often do.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply