cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping and eBay Labels: GSP vs ISD vs USPS vs My Discount UPS Acct

Selling old subscription car magazines.  
These are old personal issues.

If they are lost/destroyed or SNAD filed, I'll tell customer to keep them so at worst I would be on the hook for my shipping cost.

I have 2 concerns:

1) Want cheapest shipping cost to customer and also me since I might need to eat shipping, and

2) Want eBay to print a label suitable for customs.

RE:  UPS:  USPS completely crushes UPS and FedEx if you pay retail, but I'm supposed to have a 70% UPS discount for international so My UPS Acct might now be a contender.  If I pay thru UPS do I get to print an eBay label or will I print thru UPS website?  If UPS site, anyone know if the linked eBay listing causes a filled out customs form?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: International Shipping and eBay Labels: GSP vs ISD vs USPS vs My Discount UPS Acct

When selling old subscription car magazines on eBay and considering shipping options, here's how you can address your concerns:

1. Shipping Cost Optimization: To minimize shipping costs for both you and the customer, consider the following options:

• Compare shipping rates between USPS, UPS, and FedEx to find the most cost-effective option for international shipping. Since you mentioned having a UPS account with a discount, this could potentially offer competitive rates.
    • Opt for economy or standard shipping services rather than expedited options to save on costs.
    • Offer combined shipping discounts for multiple purchases to encourage buyers to purchase more items, which can help offset shipping costs.
  2. Customs Label and Documentation:

• If you choose to use UPS for shipping, you can print the shipping label directly through eBay if you have linked your UPS account to your eBay account. This allows you to generate labels with the necessary customs information.
    • When printing labels through eBay, the platform typically provides a built-in feature for generating customs forms for international shipments. You would need to fill out the required customs information during the label creation process.
    • Make sure to accurately declare the contents of the package and provide detailed information about the magazines to ensure compliance with customs regulations.

Overall, by comparing shipping rates, utilizing any discounts available through your UPS account, and leveraging eBay's shipping label printing features, you can optimize shipping costs and ensure proper customs documentation for international shipments of your old car magazines. Additionally, communicating clearly with buyers about shipping options and potential customs requirements can help provide a positive purchasing experience.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: International Shipping and eBay Labels: GSP vs ISD vs USPS vs My Discount UPS Acct

One very important to keep in mind is that if you ship internationally with UPS, there can be very, very expensive "customs brokerage fees" that the buyer may be responsible for to get their item (and may not be happy about, and may put you at risk for negative feedback or worse.) If you ship them via USPS, or sent your item through eBay International Shipping, you don't have to worry about this issue.

If you ship your items directly to a buyer internationally via USPS or UPS, you also risk them receiving the item and quickly deciding to return it (before you could tell them to just keep the item), and you will end up being on the hook for the costly return shipping.

Given your car magazines have a low value and the risks involved, I'd ship them eBay International Shipping, since it protects you from both of those issues, as well as a (real or fictitious) "I never received the item" claim from a foreign buyer.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Pirateship Simple Export for the win...hands down

for that type of item

16.99 anywhere in the world up to 1 lb. (12.99 to Canada)

36.99 anywhere in the world up to 4 lbs. (27.99 to Canada)

It is a hub operation and they do all the customs paperwork after you fill in a few lines online.

(you need to apply and be approved)

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I was unaware of UPS/FedEx brokerage fees.

The last time I compared UPS with USPS, UPS was 2-3x the cost of USPS but at that time (10 years ago?) the advantage of UPS/FedEx was that they went thru customs faster.
So I guess my 70% international discount with UPS is useless.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Does Pirateship Simple Export fill out the customs form?

Does it integrate with eBay?  
Is the label printed on eBay's site or Pirate Ship?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I see your eBay International Shipping recommendation.

I've learned there is also the eBay GSM where you can offer ONLY ONE.

I seem to recall there were issues with GSM like not knowing what customers are charged and it can be ridiculously expensive.
QUESTION:  Can I see the eBay International Shipping charges?

Considering the UPS Brokerage Fees (I never heard of this) sounds like UPS is a big NO.
So that leaves:  eBay IS, USPS and Pirate Ship.

Can I offer those three options to Buyers?  I expect the cheapest for buyer will vary by country so it would be nice to let the Buyer choose the cheapest service.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

The most horrid UPS customs clearance fees apply to Canada. It is an absolute killer when you ship to a non-business customer.

Never had a complaint about fees to any other country.

I vote for EIS. It gives the buyer a chance to pay duty and taxes up front, they know the total cost up front. Your job is over when the package reaches the Ebay hub. Of course, you pay an Ebay FVF on the VAT or GST if they elect to pay upfront.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

"...you pay an Ebay FVF on the VAT or GST if they elect to pay upfront"

Does the Buyer or Seller specify if this payment is made "upfront?" 

If paid upfront, customs is cleared faster?

So if to UK, their 17% VAT, Buyer may Pay Me that 17% and then I pay that fee and also now the eBay Final Value Fee? 

If upfront, that VAT shows up on my 1099k?

Do shipping costs beyond the eBay hub show up on the 1099K? 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

VAT is NOT to you so it does NOT show on 1099.

VAT DOES show as far as your 'final value fee'

Overall, you are WAY over thinking this-; just list the items and use EIS to ship items out of the USA. Then, you WON'T pay FVF's on VAT and you WON'T be liable for 'returns, refunds etc.' 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Did you see what tobaccocardyahoo said about VAT and FVF when seller chooses "paying upfront?"

Message 11 of 11
latest reply