cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Buyer hasn't received item and asks if they should file claim with ebay

Sold item to buyer in Japan. Tracking says its been delivered in IL (presumably ebay consolidation center but don't know for sure) but has now been sitting there and buyer has received ebay notice to leave feedback saying item has been delivered. Buyer wants to know if they should file a claim against ebay for non-delivery and for refund. Should this be the first step? I realize I may be responsible to refund buyer eventually, but do you think it's worth a try for buyer to file claim with ebay? And what can I do about this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

International Buyer hasn't received item and asks if they should file claim with ebay

@gal220joy wrote:

Sold item to buyer in Japan. Tracking says its been delivered in IL (presumably ebay consolidation center but don't know for sure)

That would be Glendale Heights, for eBay International Shipping. The time between its arrival and its actual departure on a plane can vary (in my experience) between speedy and absolutely glacial. I've got one item on its way to France that took ten days from its arrival in Glendale Heights (on March 11) before it finally got on a plane to Germany (arriving on March 21), after which it will still need to get from Germany to France.

On the other hand, I had a recent sale to Japan that got there in a little more than a week total, so it's still a bit of a carp-shoot about how long yours will take.

What day did it reach Glendale Heights? The feedback reminder to the buyer was probably just triggered by the delivery there, even though it was not actually the final stop.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

If you used eBay international shipping (eIS most refer to it as) then once it's delivered to eBay's hub then you keep the money.

eBay handles all INR's and Returns, you don't do anything.

You direct them that they need to communicate with eBay for any issues. You are out of the picture.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

If the item showed delivery to Glendale Heights, you won't have to be refunding anything. eBay will be footing the bill and would notify you if the buyer files any sort of a case with eBay.

If the buyer leaves a neutral or negative feedback, eBay will remove it AFTER the case has been closed and also a waiting period after that but they will remove it. It is automated and just a matter of time for the system to respond.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

The PO address in IL was Carol Stream. That was the last PO it was at before being delivered. I heard from the buyer, and it sounds like he's been given another tracking # so maybe it just hasn't left IL yet. Waiting to hear back from him for clarification on that. Buyer seems easy to deal with, thank the Lord.:)

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

It was delivered in Glendale Heights.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

It reached Glendale Heights March 13.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Is this the same transaction that you posted about on the 14th?   Was it this listing?  
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186282492063

It looks like that was sent through EISD, not the EIS so the seller protection is different.  You said the buyer received a second tracking number.  It probably starts with ES and if you check it on parcelsapp.com you might see more information there. 

When is the estimated delivery time?  If it is past that date the buyer can open an item not received claim but without delivery confirmation in Japan you will be responsible to refund.  But EISD does have insurance up to $100 which you can apply for if the parcel gets lost.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Yes, it's that listing. This is complicated because item went to consolidation center (not sure if connected to ebay) in Philly and then apparently went through customs somewhere in NY (was given another tracking number I assume that started with LX) but it didn't leave the US, ended up in NY again and finally reached Glendale Heights IL. The buyer is saying they will wait until the end of March to file a claim. I don't see an estimated delivery time now only that it was delivered in IL. I wonder if ebay is messed up considering it appeared to go through customs in NY.

https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/LX910670234US 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Note how when I track the new tracking #, it starts in Philly.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I hope it all works out for you. This is why I don't do Ebay's International shipping. They say they'll handle it. They probably will, eventually. In the mean time the seller is stressed. They say they will take care of everything, then take care of it. I don't even want to know about it. I'm probably in the minority with the way I feel about it but we pay Ebay a lot of money.  Sorry for the rant.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

That didn't help much did it.

I wonder if @wastingtime101  can make more sense of it than I can.

EISD has changed over time so I'm not sure how it is set up now. Since Japan Post appears to be linked to the tracking it looks as if it is supposed to be sent via Japan Post.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

The seller didn't use EIS. If they had been able to use it and it got lost, ebay would be the one to refund. 

Many sellers are happy with EIS but if you are more comfortable shipping within the US only that is your right.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Yes, I'm just not sure whether buyer should start claim sooner rather than later. And since I didn't use EIS, ebay might send the buyer right back to me.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I wonder if @wastingtime101  can make more sense of it than I can.

Hey @pjcdn2005 , I sent a message to @gal220joy asking for a few details. If they respond to my message with that info I will be able to offer advice. There is one thing about the tracking that's not 100% clear, so the additional details will help to make sure I give accurate advice. I don't want to lead the seller down the wrong path with an educated guess.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply