cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insuring an item over 5k

About 2 years ago I sold an antique that went for 8k. It was a fairly small item that I packed bombproof and started looking for my options to ship it after the sale. The most insurance I could get from UPS, Fedex, or UPS was $5000. I contacted the buyer and he said he trusted my packing and to ship it on and it went off with a hitch. I have an antique im getting ready to list that should sell for around 12.5k but this time want to be prepared to have proper insurance. What options do I have to insure something like this, thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Insuring an item over 5k

I guess it all depends upon what you are most worried about

is it breakage/damage  or theft?

you can insure with USPS registered mail  for better rates than priority when it goes over around $1000.

I never ever have worried about damage

mainly an empty box or package that gets lost

@matthewsutton 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You might want to rethink about selling an item for that value mail order.  If the buyer says an empty box arrived, you lose the item and money.    Never sell an item you can't afford to lose.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

We have an account with Hugh Wood International, which specializes in insuring collectibles for both dealers and collectors.

https://hwinternational.com/ca/

They have offices in NewYork, London, and Toronto.

They will cover not only shipped items, but fire, burglary, problems in transit to shows, shoptheft, breakage, water damage, and are very flexible about dealer stocks which as we both know vary from day to day.

These are annual contracts but are very competitive (cheaper for the coverage offered) with larger commercial insurance companies.

We no longer have a store, but keep a policy with them to cover our art collection.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Agreed... I'd be having palpitations the whole time the item was in the shipper's custody.

We've seen issues tied to items of small dollar value and shifty buyers winning false non- receipt cases. But a 12 + thousand dollar item? Yikes!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I wouldn't sell something of that value on ebay. I would do it locally or consign it.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Am marveling at your courage in even thinking about offering such a high dollar item on this platform! 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

USPS Registered Mail Package service is the safest way to ship this with full insurance.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply