cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold a blank cassette tape and ebay says it is a restricted item.

Hello,

I sold a blank cassette tape and ebay says it is a restricted item per the email:

Dear homers*attic,

We are contacting you regarding Order Number *********** shipped to ************ via eBay international standard delivery, tracking number #**********.

Per the email:

"Our shipping partners have notified us that the package cannot be delivered due to Restricted/Prohibited Item. These issues can include custom restrictions, country sanctions, brand restrictions or eBay program restrictions.

Please note that the item is being returned to you. If it is not listed below, we will add tracking for the return shipment to the eBay transaction once it is available. If you have additional questions, please contact eBay customer service.

Return eBay international standard delivery ID #**************************.

You will not be charged for the eBay international standard delivery shipping label or the return label.

We ask that that you complete the following:
  • Ensure the return address specified on your eBay account is accurate. Check now
  • Upon receipt of each item, please promptly refund your customer. Order and item detail links can be found on your Orders page.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Fortunately, this return will present an opportunity to relist the item(s) again. Thank you for helping your customers. We are glad to have you as a part of eBay and wish you the best in future sales on the site.

Sincerely,
The eBay Shipping Team"

I have received the item back, but the tracking does not show it has been returned to me, and I have no idea how to receive a credit for the ebay fees, or how to refund the buyer. I made a good-faith refund for the blank cassette tape, but I don't want to take a hit for the ($20+) shipping.

What am I required to do here?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: I sold a blank cassette tape and ebay says it is a restricted item.

The email tells you (but it's hard to notice) that you will not be charged for the eBay standard international shipping label........or.......the return label.   eBay doesn't charge for the standard international labels when you print them, they bill them to your account, so they will just either not bill or if they have, they will credit.

I'm just wondering what country it was going to.

I should add, since you refunded the buyer, you have nothing else you need to do.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@supercharger-parts wrote:

It could be one of several that prohibit tape recordings or materials for same. China and Russia both have posted restrictions about recording materials intended to Overthrow the State and the usual kind of dictatorial paranoia, and blank recording tape could conceivably be blocked due to its potential for distributing banned content. Here's a list by country, as posted by USPS:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_toc.htm 

Pick whichever country it was going to and see if tapes are restricted there.

(Just for yucks, I looked at Sri Lanka, since we hear from so many aspiring sellers there, and they have an outright prohibition on the import of "Radios; recording machines and parts thereof.")

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I am getting half my International items from all over the world returned to me following emails like this from eBay, with no actual explanation whatsoever. I sell plastic action figures and plastic dolls - there's no restrictions on these items (that I can find) and many of the items being returned are for similar items from repeat buyers. Now I have to issue them refunds for items they have been waiting for and still want, for reasons I can't explain.

I think there's something else going on - I don't know what it is, but it's incredibly frustrating, time consuming, and the financial loss is becoming increasingly significant.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

The sealed cassette tape was intended to be sent to Spain, via the GSP in KY. I do not see any prohibitions regarding cassette tapes in the list.

The buyer was charged $25 for shipping, and wants to be refunded for the shipping as well. In my opinion, ebay should refund him since they collected the money for it?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

It was supposed to go to Spain but tracking stops in Kentucky.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

According to the message you posted you used ebay international delivery, not the gsp.  That means that the shipping cost went to you, not ebay.  As mentioned in an earlier post you won't be charged for that shipping label so its up to you to return the money to the buyer.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

RIght, sorry for not making my post clearer. What I meant to ask is the buyer wants to be refunded for the money he paid for shipping initially? 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@supercharger-parts wrote:

It could be one of several that prohibit tape recordings or materials for same. China and Russia both have posted restrictions about recording materials intended to Overthrow the State and the usual kind of dictatorial paranoia, and blank recording tape could conceivably be blocked due to its potential for distributing banned content. Here's a list by country, as posted by USPS:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_toc.htm 

Pick whichever country it was going to and see if tapes are restricted there.

(Just for yucks, I looked at Sri Lanka, since we hear from so many aspiring sellers there, and they have an outright prohibition on the import of "Radios; recording machines and parts thereof.")

I had a buyer try to purchase a drafting pencil from me and this ^^ came up when they tried to purchase it through the GSP.    A drafting pencil as a recording machine...that is a stretch!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Once you get the item back, you should issue a full refund to the buyer, including the amount they initially paid for shipping.

If the item gets lost on its way back to you and it hasn't shown any movement for 30 days, you can file a claim w/ eBay International Delivery. You'll still need to issue a full refund to the buyer, including the amount they initially paid for shipping.

The buyer receives a full refund either way - the difference is if you end up having to file a claim, you must also submit "proof" that the buyer is inquiring about the location of their item (photo of eBay message or INR).

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Yes, you refund the buyer for the shipping as well, they get a full refund.  The shipping charge was paid to you at the same time as the item was paid to you, eBay charges for the eBay standard international label later.  So if eBay charged you, you would get refunded, if they did not already charge you, you will not be charged.  Either way, the funds the buyer paid for the entire order including shipping is refunded to them via you.  

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Yes, I am aware of some of the prohibitions in many countries, and they are funny to me.  I do thank you for the link just in case any of us were not aware.  I had two little screw like plugs returned as prohibited from Canada lol.  I know they are not prohibited in any country I ship to, but Canada was pretty funny.  So I was just curious.  Spain should have not had an issue with a cassette tape.  It makes me wonder how the people are trained at the consolidation center or if this happens after it leaves KY.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I think the GSP is so strict.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@homers*attic wrote:

I have received the item back, but the tracking does not show it has been returned to me, and I have no idea how to receive a credit for the ebay fees, or how to refund the buyer.

You find the transaction on your Orders page. Select cancel transaction. Select the reason problem with buyer's address. This triggers a refund to the buyer and a credit of your fees.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Stop shipping them through eBay. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply