cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has USPS Domestic Shipping First Class (weight up to 15.99 ounces) changed in 2018 for Ebay Sellers?

I am curious to find out if USPS & Ebay have changed their policy for up to (15.99) ounces for 1st Class mail. I have never used over (13) ounces for 1st class and I stopped shipping outside the USA. So with all the increases in costs to do business on Ebay, we decided to take advantage of the up to (15.99) ounces policy. So last night I decided to research on Ebay about their 1st Class policy which still states up to (15.99) ounces. After researching I decided to go through all our inventory to make changes to the shipping of items that fit into that category with no avail. When I went to "Save" the "Revise" an error message came up stating 1st Class Mail can not be over (13) ounces.

I have provided a pic of how I tried to set the shipping. Also, I called Ebay and was told after being on-hold that they went to USPS site and any item over (13) ounces is not 1st Class. So that was my answer from Ebay....Ugh!

I just need to figure this issue out and get started on another game plan for selling in 2019 that will help with my bottom line.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, it is highly appreciated...

Hope you have a Prosperious New Year!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Has USPS Domestic Shipping First Class (weight up to 15.99 ounces) changed in 2018 for Ebay Sell

The 15.99 is usps commericial pricing.  It’s a discount they provide.  You can ship online with first class up to that amount.    

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Has USPS Domestic Shipping First Class (weight up to 15.99 ounces) changed in 2018 for Ebay Sell

Thank you for your reply but I use Ebay shipping and their labels and it does not let me complete my listing with weight over (13) ounces up to (15.99) ounces.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@jacid2000 wrote:
Thank you for your reply but I use Ebay shipping and their labels and it does not let me complete my listing with weight over (13) ounces up to (15.99) ounces.

I use eBay labels As well.  You can ship up to 15.99 using eBay labels.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I don’t do calculated shipping when setting up my listings though so I’ve never run into the issue of not being able to set it up that way.  I use free shipping or flat rate 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It sounds like you might be using the retail prices in the shipping calculator.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all for your replies. I do use "Calculated" shipping. Maybe that is why it won't let us change the weight option. I can't even get to the calculator just what is above. I was hoping it was some step I was missing. Any other suggestions / responses welcome.

Have a Prosperous New Year...
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

15.999 ounces is the weight limit for online labels for First Class packages, even on the new rates that come out  next month for 2019.  

13 ounces is the weight limit for retail postage, which is what the usps.com website discusses, which is why the customer support person saw that. As you said: Ugh.

I don't see anything wrong with your setup. But I don't use business policies, just templates.  You could try changing the weight option from "1 lb. or less" to "Custom weight" to see if that helps.   Or create a new policy.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@jacid2000

Go to your site preferences and verify that your shipping does NOT give the retail discount to buyers. If you are giving the retail discount, you will not be able to ship 14 and 15 ounce packages, since those are online only services, which would be considered a discount. 

Account>site preferences>shipping preferences>offer carrier specific discounts, click edit>click I do not want to offer discounts>click save

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf/carrier

08546954f37d167487fba98486a50ea2

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 9
latest reply