cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ground Advantage vs. Priority

Not sure if I am understanding some of the postings so I may be wrong.  My default position is to use USPS Priority.  On larger packages/farther zones I will use Fedex or UPS if Priority is more expensive.  It seems to me the Ground Advantage now competes with Fedex or UPS on these packages too expensive for Priority since the rate seems to be cheaper and NOW Ground Advantage comes with insurance (up to 100.00).  Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Ground Advantage vs. Priority

I've found that in most cases, there's virtually no real price difference between Priority and Parcel Select/Ground Advantage unless you're shipping something really heavy. Like, looking at the label options for the 2 lb package I'm mailing tomorrow, it's $7.20 for Priority versus $7.15 for Ground Advantage. There's absolutely no reason to use GA rather than Priority there.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I can't shake the feeling that the name GROUND advantage will have a negative connotation to many buyers. 

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I can't shake the feeling that the name GROUND advantage will have a negative connotation to many buyers. 

Absolutely, and it isn't even completely accurate.  IMHO they should have gone back to "Parcel Post."

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I just printed a 5 lb label with Priority mail and noticed the Ground advantage price was higher.  I had forgotten we still get a TRS discount which makes Priority more appealing to use---plus the name looks better.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

When I was selling on eBay, I mostly shipped via USPS First Class, one item (at the buyer's request) I shipped via Media Mail. None of my buyers seemed fraudulent, though. I started this February and stopped around the dead of March at my parents' request.

Anyways, changing the subject, this leaves me confused and concerned. Do sellers and/or buyers have to pay up to $100 for insurance included with USPS Ground Advantage for each package?

P.S. Lately I've been having some anxiety issues and acting like a worrywart.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

There is no charge for the insurance, which covers package value up to $100; same as Priority coverage.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Oh, that's good. Thanks, friend.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Hi I have been a seller for a year now, what is Pirate ship. I want to be competitive with my shipping costs I have some big items to ship and if I can save money I would love to pass it on to my buyers or even keep a couple of dollars per transcation! 

Is Usps priority faster than UPS ground advantage? 

Maria

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

So how do you use it when  you sell through ebay? How do you print the label and show ebay that it has been shipped? I am sorry, I am a little new at this! 

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Hi again, 

Maybe you can help me! I use the ebay calculator for my big item and it is says 102  ground advantage and 43 ups. From Idaho to Miami. When I choose the cheaper one and it goes to my listing it is a lot more!

What is wrong! 

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@meryla2909 wrote:

Hi I have been a seller for a year now, what is Pirate ship. I want to be competitive with my shipping costs I have some big items to ship ...

Is Usps priority faster than UPS ground advantage? 

Maria

As the names imply, USPS Priority Mail is usually faster than either UPS Ground or USPS Ground Advantage.

Pirateship is a private company which also sells online postage labels.  They offer some services which you can't get through eBay shipping labels such as Priority Cubic and Ground Advantage Cubic.  But those are not for large packages so won't help you.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@meryla2909 

Pirateship can be set up to integrate the shipping info to/from your eBay account.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for answering, how do I do it? I only have a starter store, maybe that i why I do not see it?

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

You have to sign up at Piratship.com. No monthly charge, just have to pay for the labels. Here is an example that compare the cost of Pirate Ship to Etsy labels for a 12x12x12 package that weigh 2 lbs.

Zone 1

Ebay: GA $6.83 Priority $7.00

Pirate Ship: GA $5.95 Priority $6.79

Zone 8 

Ebay: GA $9.88 Priority $13.17

Pirate Ship: $9.88 Priority $13.17

So in this example for sales that are closer to you, Pirate Ship is cheaper but the same for sales further away.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

The following is what I learned from a post office clerk about Ground Advantage. 

On Jan 4, I created a GA label and put the 13-lb package on the counter inside my local post office a half hour later.  Because my customer was complaining I never mailed his package since there were NO SCANS of the label after 9 days, I went back to the post office Jan 13 to ask why no scans.  These are exact quotes since I recorded the conversation on my iPhone.

Me:  "It was supposed to have been delivered a couple of days ago."  (According to the USPS estimated delivery time.)

Clerk:  Well, it's Ground Advantage.  It takes longer than that.  As a matter of fact, they can let it sit there if they wanted.  That's why they went to that Ground Advantage instead of First Class packaging."

Makes me wonder what exactly is the written procedure in the USPS manual for handling GA.  Looks to me it is low priority among other kinds of mail, and clerks will ignore GA to process other kinds of mail first.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply