cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving Credit where Credit is due - eBay - USPS and the APV system

Since its inception, the APV system has caught a number of weight inconsistencies and I have received Refunds from eBay for them.  USPS has checkweighers in their bulk facilities that check the package weight at every facility they pass through.  This information is fed back through the system and if they record a weight lower than what the "paid for" weight is a refund is generated.  Below is one I recently received.  This happens on heavier weight items in my case.  I tend to err on the side of caution when I have a package that is right on the boarder line of their weight ranges.  1/4 of an ounce (or less) is all it takes for a package to get bumped UP or DOWN in eBay-USPS weight ranges like 1-2 lbs, 2-3 lbs, etc.

In any event, the system works so I Give eBay-USPS credit for this system!

Screenshot (2940).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Giving Credit where Credit is due - eBay - USPS and the APV system

@nuclearomen wrote:

When I print label I always add weight to the package from whatever it is... so say I have package where my scale says 1 lbs. 10 oz. I add a few oz.'s to make 1 lbs. 13 oz. to cover any slight differences in weight and scales. 

@nuclearomen 

You can make it easier on yourself by just purchasing the label at the next full pound increment. Whether it's

1 lb. 1 oz., 1 lb. 5 oz. or 1 lb. 13 oz., they all ship at the 2 lb. rate so it's easier to round up to the next full pound.

OTOH, if I have a priority package that weighs 2 lb. 1 oz., I trim the flaps to get it to 1 lb. 15 oz. There's a huge difference between the 2 lb. and 3 lb. rates. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

When I print label I always add weight to the package from whatever it is... so say I have package where my scale says 1 lbs. 10 oz. I add a few oz.'s to make 1 lbs. 13 oz. to cover any slight differences in weight and scales. 

@nuclearomen 

You can make it easier on yourself by just purchasing the label at the next full pound increment. Whether it's

1 lb. 1 oz., 1 lb. 5 oz. or 1 lb. 13 oz., they all ship at the 2 lb. rate so it's easier to round up to the next full pound.

OTOH, if I have a priority package that weighs 2 lb. 1 oz., I trim the flaps to get it to 1 lb. 15 oz. There's a huge difference between the 2 lb. and 3 lb. rates. 

...and there is a huge different from cost between 1.5 and 2 pounds, so no, never round to the nearest pound, unless want to pay more, then go ahead. Mercari does this, aggravates me to no end. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen 

...and there is a huge different from cost between 1.5 and 2 pounds, so no, never round to the nearest pound, unless want to pay more, then go ahead. Mercari does this, aggravates me to no end. 

Nope, you're incorrect. 

The following screenshots show the price of packages going cross-country from Boston to LA. 

First is 1 lb. 1 oz, second is 2 lb. Price is identical. (These examples are from the USPS website so they don't show the discounts we get from ebay label purchases but the prices are identical.)

1 lb. 1 oz: 

1.png

2 lbs. 

2.png

albertabrightalberta

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote: ... there is a huge different from cost between 1.5 and 2 pounds, so no, never round to the nearest pound, unless want to pay more, then go ahead. Mercari does this, aggravates me to no end. 

All USPS rates are "up to" a weight in full pounds (except First Class, which goes by ounces).  The postage cost for 1 pound 1 ounce is the same as for 2 pounds. You can test that right on the USPS.com site or in eBay's shipping calculator. This also means that there's no point in adding a couple of ounces to the weight that you enter for the shipping label.

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote: ... there is a huge different from cost between 1.5 and 2 pounds, so no, never round to the nearest pound, unless want to pay more, then go ahead. Mercari does this, aggravates me to no end. 

All USPS rates are "up to" a weight in full pounds (except First Class, which goes by ounces).  The postage cost for 1 pound 1 ounce is the same as for 2 pounds. You can test that right on the USPS.com site or in eBay's shipping calculator. This also means that there's no point in adding a couple of ounces to the weight that you enter for the shipping label.

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

There is difference, not just for first class, been shipping for 25+ years, I think I would see if there wasn't a difference by now lol. The prices typically go by 4oz intervals, every 4oz or so the price goes next tier, a 1 lbs 9 oz priority package (which I send a lot) cost me from $9 and change to $10 and change depending on zone destination, that same package at 1 lbs 10 oz cost me $9 and change up to $13 and change depending on zone destination. A dollar more at that cost going to east cost is sometimes better to send priority flat rate medium which on ebay was around $13 and change, could be more now since the new holiday increases took effect this past month. 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen 

Did you even look at the example I showed? 

Test it yourself! 

albertabrightalberta

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen 

Test it yourself! 

no, wasn't visible (to me) when I was here just before, see it now...

The difference is on first class, I just got order for 1 lbs 9oz priority package I tested before purchase label (ebay) the price is same between that and 2lbs, I was thinking purchase from mercari originally which charge 2 lbs $12.00 the same order on ebay is $10.86... it's early and my coffee intake hasn't spiked yet 😆 sorry. @albertabrightalberta @nobody*s_perfect  - got lost in the price difference on platform not carrier 

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen 

Test it yourself! 

The difference is on first class, I just got order for 1 lbs 9oz priority package I tested before purchase label (ebay) the price is same between that and 2lbs, I was thinking purchase from mercari originally which charge 2 lbs $12.00 the same order on ebay is $10.86... it's early and my coffee intake hasn't spiked yet 😆 sorry. @albertabrightalberta @nobody*s_perfect  - got lost in the price difference on platform not carrier 

First class? That's not even possible if the item weighs more than 1 pound!

albertabrightalberta

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@nuclearomen 

Test it yourself! 

First class? That's not even possible if the item weighs more than 1 pound!

not first class, priority, but their first class rates are also over charged, $5.99 there ebay (and everyone else) is cheaper

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

In my experience they do refund weight errors to females and not males it appears, I've only heard of women getting the refunds on weight I have never, and I always have shipped almost double on the label than actual weight just so I get no package returns.  If this is the case they owe probably at least 20$

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply