cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free shipping scam beware, Cost me $100 dollars

I won an item for $6 dollars and says free shipping on listing, I payed for the $6 Christmas item and was charged another $100 for the free shipping. Total  $106 dollars. tried to cancel immediately and ebays system wouldn't  let me. I contacted ebay and they were no help . I'm trying to get ahold of seller.  Anyways to let all buyers and sellers know that is can happen to you, what a mess. Just wanted to give a fun white elephant present for christmas and this turned out to be a big mess. Scary stuff. I can upload all the screen shots if needed. 

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Free shipping scam beware, Cost me $100 dollars

What is the item number? Hard to tell if you missed the shipping costs. How big is the item? You can't cancel. Only the seller can cancel on your request.

Anyway you still have options. Contact the seller using the "Contact Seller" in your Purchase History.  Ask the seller to cancel. That should do it. If seller still won't cancel and ships, you can when you get it file a request to return it. A good seller would cancel it instead of going through that hassle. 

Message 2 of 77
latest reply

So you paid $6 and then ebay charged another hundred? Was this on mobile? Item number plz~

Message 3 of 77
latest reply

As above, I remember there being issues with Mobiles showing free shipping, not sure if that was a glitch that has been fixed or not.

In saying that, a $100 shipping charge, even if visible, seems extreme.

ETA: Could not find that item number, maybe coz I am in Au. @moonbeamcollectibles If you haven't paid yet I would not pay if the seller refuses to cancel - you may get a strike but one won't hurt you, just be sure not to get a second one, good luck.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 77
latest reply

I hope everyone learns a valuable lesson from this incident.
My question is why you had to pay 106$ when you had to pay 6$.

There is a method that I follow when I buy things. Hope mentioning it here will be very helpful for everyone.
Before I click the checkout button, I double check that I'm paying for the items I ordered, that the quantity ordered is correct, and that the final total is approximately correct. . .
I look at that side to see if an unwanted product or service has been added to the cart by my mistake.

I think buyers, sellers and eBay can do a great deal without wasting time and hassle if we always put a lot of care into purchasing.

Message 5 of 77
latest reply

Does ebay allow sellers to add in extra shipping charges after listing ends?

Message 6 of 77
latest reply

@moonbeamcollectibles 

In your ebay, go to your purchase history. 

https://www.ebay.com/mye/myebay/v2/purchase

Click on the right "view order details." 

Under payment info (on the right), it'll show the breakdown of what you paid.

What does it show?

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 77
latest reply

FYI ... it appears Seller has relisted the item as a BUY IT NOW for $299

Message 8 of 77
latest reply

The seller's other stuff ships free, but they're also very heavy rocks and much more expensive. Think they may have listed it as an auction thinking the price would go way up, but it didn't. But I have no idea how they could have added shipping afterwards, sellers can't change much of any thing once an item has a bid.

My first thought was along the invoice theory too.

Message 9 of 77
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

FYI ... it appears Seller has relisted the item as a BUY IT NOW for $299

That's a seller who earned a very special feedback! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 77
latest reply

Definitely not as described. We can all see it says free shipping.  I suggest you return this item.

Message 11 of 77
latest reply

Interesting TOS about feedback and honesty.

Message 12 of 77
latest reply

Has the seller not cancelled & refunded this yet since it is relisted?  They obviously messed up, but should have been honest about it instead of doing a blindside.

Message 13 of 77
latest reply

Has the seller not cancelled & refunded this yet since it is relisted?  They obviously messed up, but should have been honest about it instead of doing a blindside.

This whole situation is a bit bizarre. Like others I looked at the sold listing and for sure it was free shipping, I also see the relist but not sure if it is the same one or if seller had multiples. If the OP paid curious to know if she has received the shipping and tracking information from the seller or whether, as you stated, the seller canceled the order. 

If the seller has canceled without buyer approval buyer should report the seller. I the item shipped there are a number of options for the buyer to try and recover the $100 the seller bilked the buyer  out of. 

Message 14 of 77
latest reply

I see the seller has pulled all auctions and now has them all BIN with realistic prices that should cover shipping. The seller screwed up listing it as an auction with free shipping. If you send the seller a request to cancel, I am sure they will be happy to. This seems to be a new seller learning as they go along. I am still curious as to how they were able to add the $100 extra for shipping after the auction. Very strange. 

Message 15 of 77
latest reply