cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex SmartPost Question

I sometimes sell shoes, and I recently discovered that it will generally be cheaper for me to ship them via Fedex SmartPost as opposed to USPS. I tried doing a quick Google search but couldn't find what I was looking for. So my questions are...

does Fedex SmartPost use specific boxes, much like USPS Priority Mail? Or can I place a Fedex SmartPost label on any brown cardboard box I've got sitting around?

Also, can I drop Fedex SmartPost packages off in the Fedex drop box locations? Or do I have to take them to a Fedex office location and physically hand it to a person?

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Fedex SmartPost Question

Hi, I don't have any answers for you, just a comment.

Smartpost is sloooow. I usually don't buy from a seller that uses it if I notice it. It may be a little cheaper, but it usually adds too much shipping time.  If I'm not in a hurry for the item, it's not so bad, but just something to be aware of. 

Good luck selling! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

SmartPost is the absolute slowest method to ship. There's a reason why it's cheap.

If you don't mind "where's my package!!!!" messages go ahead and use it.

Make sure that you don't have Priority in your listing and then switch up when actually shipping. You will end up with angry buyers and INR cases that you will lose because your items won't be delivered in 3-4 days (they will still be waiting for the donkey cart to pick them up)

Regarding the actual method ...

You can use any plain packaging.

You can drop off at any staffed FedEx location, Ground drop off locations or "On Site" drop off points such as any Walgreens, some Albertsons and Krogers.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/onsite.html?CMP=0PAC-1003350-11-1-1050-0010000-US-US-EN-ONSITEV...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I sell large dinnerware sets.  I used to use Smartpost.  Never had complaints from it.  However lately I have found that fEDEX ground is less then Smartpost.

Make sure you check all options.  A normal pair of shoes can ship for 2 pounds in a 12/12/12 box.  Are you sure shipping USPS will not be less?

You can drop them off or put in a drop box.  You cannot schedule a pickup from fEDEX for SP.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I THOUGHT Fed Ex Smart Post was cheaper, but then eBay billed me extra for the two times I used it.  Apparently they don't guarantee the price you see when you buy the shipping label.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Fedex hands out any free boxes.  I list most bulkier and heavier items as to be shipped via SmartPost.  Once sold I then compare prices and often switch to USPS if the difference is negligible.  I also note in my listings that "with the new zone and DIM weight pricing on USPS I reserve the right to switch carriers on heavier items".  But since any change would be an upgrade in services I don't get any complaints.

And yes, be wary, the price quoted on Ebay is not always the price eventually charged to you by Fedex.  Best to double check at the Fedex counter with their hapless clerks.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply