cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay unethical practice on return label

Here is what happened to me with ebay

- I opened a return request for an item and the return ship label came out as "No postage required if mailed in the United States" which made me think shipping was free.I have returned items before and when I print a label, it shows the postage. So I know that I'll be charge x amount of $. Eve ebay document says so.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item/return-shipping?id=4066&st=7&po=3&uc...

>>>FROM Ebay

How to print an eBay return shipping label

If you're sending an item back using an eBay return shipping label, here's how to print the label:

1. Go to Purchase history - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Find the item in Returns and cancelled orders.
  3. Select View return details.
  4. Choose Print label.

If you're responsible for the return shipping costs, you'll see the price of return shipping, and be able to purchase your label.

>>>FROM Ebay

This time however nothing showed up but I saw a paypal charge after the return was completed mentioning the amount. This is backhanded and unfairr. If the label had shown postage, I had prepaid postage which I could have used.

I called ebay and mentioned this and they were like you have to pay for return shipping. They put me on hold for an hour or more and refused to acknowledge the mistake. When I asked how I could open a case against ebay, they said it's not possible. How is it not possible? I opened a case in paypal.

ebay is MISLEADING the consumer and becoming more UNETHICAL these days. I have been on ebay since 2002 both as buyer/seller but it's time to leave and go elsewhere. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Do you happen to have a copy of the original return ship label you were issued? Can we see it?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The phrase “No Postage Necessary if Mailed in the United States” on an envelope indicates the sender has used “business reply mail,” or BRM – a service of the United States Postal Service (USPS). ... The organization pays postage at a lower rate only on the pieces respondents mail back.

In this case, eBay buys the postage, and passes the cost to either the buyer or the seller depending upon what type of return it is.

Unfortunately it seems like eBay has switched till they build a postage or they have another nasty glitch

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I just checked all of my incoming returned packages. Every ebay produced return label states “No Postage Necessary if Mailed in the United States” as I suspected. Ebay always bills the seller or buyer for the postage. Who they bill depends on how the return was filed. It's never free.

OP, have you ever filed a return request thru ebay's system before? What's the reason you used for the return? If you used a remorse reason, you are charged for postage and ebay should've told you this as you filed the return. I'm not exactly sure how they display this info to buyers because I don't return many items as a buyer. But as a seller I know ebay even prompts another page for me to confirm purchasing postage when I accept a return from a buyer.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply