cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake item with a fake location

I purchased a Gucci bag purportedly located in California and it was a big mistake. All the signs were there, but the price was so good and I wanted it so much that I ignored them all. The seller is new and has no feedback and the item description screamed scam. The day after I bought the item I realized what a horrible mistake I had made. I compared the item photos with photos from the Gucci website and realized beyond a shadow of doubt that the bag was counterfeit. I messaged the seller, repeatedly, to try to cancel the purchase but the seller mailed it anyway and maintained that it was an authentic bag. I received the same message, in broken English, again and again - from different hotmails. The message said "Hi,I have delivered item, item in the road,it soon quick arrive your hand, please be patient. thank you". I didn't know what else to do so I requested a return, though the I hadn't received the item and don't know when I will. I've yet to be alerted by Ebay that the item has been shipped but the seller claims it's "in the road" so I don't know. 

Today I received a message notifying me that my return request had been accepted by the seller and I have until December 13th to return it. The message included a return label with a California address and an attachment from the seller with a confusing message saying I have to return the item to his real address, in North Korea. I have to admit, my mind is kind of blown. North Korea? Really? 

I've tried to call Ebay but I'm in Iceland and they apparently neither take calls from here nor receive them. I can't report the item because it's been removed, probably by the seller. This also means I can no longer contact the seller. 

If anyone can help me I would be so grateful. I paid over $500 for the fake bag and I'm feeling incredibly stupid. I probably shouldn't have spent that money even if it was real. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@Anonymous

Can anyone please help this buyer?

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

How can you return it if you dont have it?
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

' In the road, ' is not delivered. Unless you have a delivery confirmation, you have never received it. File an INR.

I am confused though, if you have never received the bag, How do you know it's fake ? And why did you start a return for something you don't have ?

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

You jumped the gun requesting a return for the item you don't have. You needed to wait for the bag to be delivered before you requested a return. As far as returning the bag, if it arrives by 12/12, use the label you were issued and ship the bag to California. You aren't required to return it to Korea.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@2015hledi wrote:

I purchased a Gucci bag purportedly located in California and it was a big mistake. All the signs were there, but the price was so good and I wanted it so much that I ignored them all. The seller is new and has no feedback and the item description screamed scam. The day after I bought the item I realized what a horrible mistake I had made. I compared the item photos with photos from the Gucci website and realized beyond a shadow of doubt that the bag was counterfeit. I messaged the seller, repeatedly, to try to cancel the purchase but the seller mailed it anyway and maintained that it was an authentic bag. I received the same message, in broken English, again and again - from different hotmails. The message said "Hi,I have delivered item, item in the road,it soon quick arrive your hand, please be patient. thank you". I didn't know what else to do so I requested a return, though the I hadn't received the item and don't know when I will. I've yet to be alerted by Ebay that the item has been shipped but the seller claims it's "in the road" so I don't know. 

Today I received a message notifying me that my return request had been accepted by the seller and I have until December 13th to return it. The message included a return label with a California address and an attachment from the seller with a confusing message saying I have to return the item to his real address, in North Korea. I have to admit, my mind is kind of blown. North Korea? Really? 

I've tried to call Ebay but I'm in Iceland and they apparently neither take calls from here nor receive them. I can't report the item because it's been removed, probably by the seller. This also means I can no longer contact the seller. 

If anyone can help me I would be so grateful. I paid over $500 for the fake bag and I'm feeling incredibly stupid. I probably shouldn't have spent that money even if it was real. 

Hi @2015hledi, keep an eye out for a couple of email updates from eBay shortly slight_smile

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I got an update stating that my case has been closed because I filed a dispute through PayPal. Does this mean that there's nothing Ebay can do or can I reopen the case if it doesn't work out with PayPal? I'm so confused. I just want my money back. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I was basically just hoping I could strong-arm the seller into not shipping it and refunding me immediately. I could no longer cancel the order since my payment had gone through and it didn't appear to have been shipped. I know it was probably stupid but the seller was ignoring my messages and I was having a hard time getting through to Ebay. I basically just didn't know what to do. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I knew the bag was fake because I compared the photos of the bag to photos on the Gucci website and saw some very clear discrepancies; colour, stitching, buckle, etc. There's no way the bag isn't fake and the address was even faked to make it seem more reliable. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Would I still be refunded if I returned it to California? The seller semi-clearly states that he will only refund me if I ship it to his correct location in North Korea.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Of course, the North Korean address is bogus, the scammer wants you to ship it where the sun doesn't shine hoping it will get lost.  Since you can't show that it was returned to the scammer---the scammer will not have to refund you.

The crazy part about this whole thing is that OP could actually ship the bag to North Korea from Iceland for the equivalent of about USD $61 to about $75 depending upon how big the bag is 🙂

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@flyerfandan999 wrote:

Of course, the North Korean address is bogus, the scammer wants you to ship it where the sun doesn't shine hoping it will get lost.  Since you can't show that it was returned to the scammer---the scammer will not have to refund you.

The crazy part about this whole thing is that OP could actually ship the bag to North Korea from Iceland for the equivalent of about USD $61 to about $75 depending upon how big the bag is 🙂

@flyerfandan999

From the OP..." I didn't know what else to do so I requested a return, though the I hadn't received the item and don't know when I will."

OP has nothing to return.

Simply another buyer who ignored all the warning signs in the listing.

Then made a mess of using the MBG.

Then came here to be bailed out...sigh

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I am sorry this happened to you.

Honest, I am not trying to be mean but why would you purchase something when you KNEW it was a scam?  Heard of "due diligence?"  You have to be responsible for your actions.

Why did you file an Ebay claim AND a Paypal claim ??   Did you go ahead and file a credit card chargeback while you were at it?

Too bad the Ebay claim is closed.  I don't even know if the return label will work now.  Other board posters probably know.  Ebay SNAD claim you get a label.  Paypal return claim you pay the postage.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Another reason to do some due diligence is that if Ebay thinks you file too many MBG claims they could take that option away from you and you would be on your own.  It has happened before, per many posts here.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@2015hledi wrote:

I got an update stating that my case has been closed because I filed a dispute through PayPal. Does this mean that there's nothing Ebay can do or can I reopen the case if it doesn't work out with PayPal? I'm so confused. I just want my money back. 

eBay can't help you. You are only allowed to seek a resolution using 1 method. The PayPal case may not work out in your favor because again, you don't have possession of the item. You jumped the gun filing with PayPal too, you should have allowed the eBay case to play out first. If you don't receive the bag by the deadline to escalate to PayPal then a credit card charge is your only hope. Also if you win the PayPal dispute you will be on the hook for return shipping, paypal does have a return shippinng program but if they reimburse you (they may not because you had access to free return shipping through eBay), it won't cover the cost of shipping The item to Korea with online viewable tracking so you may lose some money there.  But the sellers address on PayPal could be in the US too so you don't necessarily have to return it to Korea. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 15 of 32
latest reply