cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To request the seller your item to be shipped with signature required at buyers expense!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I note that in the holiday season many eBay parcels are delivered but can be stolen or go missing once delivered to the door! Is a seller obligated to offer  signature required shipping especially on expensive items if the buyer is willing to pay!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

To request the seller your item to be shipped with signature required at buyers expense!

No. Many sellers would, but they are not obligated.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

No, but a seller would need to have signature confirmation if the item was $750 or more and the buyer filed an Item Not Received dispute.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

A signature is required by Ebay on any item that sells for $750 or more.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

A signature is required by Ebay on any item that sells for $750 or more.

A signature would be necessary to win a “not received” case; however, it is not required, i.e. the seller can hope the buyer doesn’t open a case.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Signature confirmation should only be used in order to qualify for Seller Protection. The issue of porch piracy aside, buyers are often quite annoyed at having to pick up a package at the PO because no one was around to sign for it.

To address the issue of porch piracy, the seller is covered by Seller Protection on packages worth les than $750 as long as there is a scan showing that the package was delivered in the destination zip code. If a package is subsequently stolen from the buyer's doorstep, the seller is not liable.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

“Signature confirmation should only be used in order to qualify for Seller Protection. The issue of porch piracy aside, buyers are often quite annoyed at having to pick up a package at the PO because no one was around to sign for it.”

If a buyer wanted to address the issue of porch piracy by paying me to add sig-con, I’d gladly do it. I’m obviously not obligated, but why wouldn’t I help a potential buyer?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

“Signature confirmation should only be used in order to qualify for Seller Protection. The issue of porch piracy aside, buyers are often quite annoyed at having to pick up a package at the PO because no one was around to sign for it.”

If a buyer wanted to address the issue of porch piracy by paying me to add sig-con, I’d gladly do it. I’m obviously not obligated, but why wouldn’t I help a potential buyer?

Ditto.

thallidguy, the OP seems to be asking from a buyer's perspective, not as the seller.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

As a Seller and if the item is under the $750 threshold, I would not require, but over, the threshold, yes I would.  If the buyer requests Signature Confirmation, then, yes I would add it, maybe at my own expense dependent on the amount the item sold for.  If the buyer requested, I may do 50/50 to be a little fair.  I would much rather give any potential buyer peace of mind and have some peace of mind for me too.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

Ditto.

thallidguy, the OP seems to be asking from a buyer's perspective, not as the seller.

It was hard for me to tell. Usually, we hear from buyers who complain that they had to go to the PO and pick up a sig conf package.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I note that in the holiday season many eBay parcels are delivered but can be stolen or go missing once delivered to the door! Is a seller obligated to offer  signature required shipping especially on expensive items if the buyer is willing to pay!

As noted, for sales of $750 or more, the seller has to use Signature Confirmation anyway, but on sales below that level, if the buyer is willing to pay for the service, then certainly I would have no problem with adding Signature Confirmation to their shipment if requested. They know the security (or lack of it) in their delivery area much better than you do.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply