cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exorbitant shipping costs

I’ve enjoyed buying from eBay for a number of years. However, my fondness for EBay is beginning to fade due to the exorbitant shipping costs. Often the shipping is, not only more than the item I’m buying, but quite often double the cost. I realize postage is up,but something is off with your calculations. Eventually you will lose customers,sellers will suffer and so will your bottom line. Please correct this. Sincerely.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Go to any carrier's website plug in some weights and dimensions and prepare for the sticker shock. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Many of the items I sell and have sold over the last 25 years the shipping is almost as much if not more than the item.

I'm not seeing the problem.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

There was a fairly recent increase in USPS rates and probably also FedEx etc.

The price of an item never bears any relationship to the cost of shipping.

When someone brings up this issue, my example is of a vintage Singer sewing machine I sold many years ago where the shipping was somewhat more than the item cost.  Those machines were HEAVY. The machine sold for about $35 and shipping was into the 40 dollar range, maybe about $45.

At nearly the same time, my friend sold a diamond bracelet that was almost new for somewhere in the neighborhood of $750 or so, possibly more, and the shipping, with signature required, was somewhere in the area of $30 (I believe).  

All of us buyers can see how much the shipping will be, as well as the state sales tax, before we buy.  If/when that appears exorbitant, we simply do not buy.  

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

A 2lb package from Michigan to California Priority is $18

post1.JPGpost2.JPG

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Shipping rates keep going up.  It does put pressure on sellers too.  The river built their own shipping company to deal with it. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@san1914 wrote:

I’ve enjoyed buying from eBay for a number of years. However, my fondness for EBay is beginning to fade due to the exorbitant shipping costs. Often the shipping is, not only more than the item I’m buying, but quite often double the cost. I realize postage is up,but something is off with your calculations. Eventually you will lose customers,sellers will suffer and so will your bottom line. Please correct this. Sincerely.

@san1914 

@soh.maryl 

Apologies for tooting the Canadian horn but if you can't find in what you are looking for in the continental USA try searching Canada. Many sellers are offering discounted shipping for we are unsure currently a limited time only deal. Important to remember shipping is not based on value but size, service and your location in play. It will most likely not arrive in 3 or 4 days. Closer to 10 to 15. eBay estimates are just that. Estimates. Customs processing delays and routing can affect delivery times. As with almost everything in this world patience is required. 

Even on dot ca when we search you can select Canada/USA or by distance. Believe on dot com the only option is USA(Maybe N. America too). And what we sell DOES not get routed through eIS so not 3 to 5 weeks for delivery. From a former Canadian buyers perspective (used to buy regularly) because of eIS many Canadian buyers only buy from US sellers as a last last last resort because of substantially higher shipping when you compare USA to Canada and Canada to USA.

-LotzOfUnique Canadian Goodies

PS Disclaimer. If 1 US buyer buys from a dot ca seller from this post I am considering it a win. This is being posted only as a suggestion.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

Go to any carrier's website plug in some weights and dimensions and prepare for the sticker shock. 

@solidguitar1961 

Sellers do have the option to apply discounts for shipping when using eBay Labels. Unsure how many do though. Any discount is better than nothing.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@solidguitar1961 

Sellers do have the option to apply discounts for shipping when using eBay Labels. Unsure how many do though. Any discount is better than nothing.

And you do realize that we lose a percentage of the shipping costs ? 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

@solidguitar1961 

And you do realize that we lose a percentage of the shipping costs ? 

@solidguitar1961 

Canadian sellers are in the same boat. Plus we do not have access to eIS which reduces your amount of your  seller fees. (From my understanding you are only charged to the hub.) We also pay tax 5 to 15 % on postage purchased for shipments within Canada based on the province and that includes stamps and prepaid shipping supplies. If something is very heavy I often pay more fees on the postage portion vs the actual listing.  (Personally between the shipping amount and taxes collected - Cdn/US/VAT it was based on 900.00 Cad + for my last 90 days in FVF's.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

A 2lb package from Michigan to California Priority is $18

post1.JPGpost2.JPG

@solidguitar1961 

Our postage depends on service, weight limits and/or size. For an approximate 2.0 Lb package Calgary to California you would be looking at 19.50 Canadian so approx. 15.00 USD in as quoted by eBay 4 to 7 business days. Usually a few days longer. Same parcel USA to Canada 35 to 60 USD plus duties/taxes and processing,  give or take in that 3 to 5 weeks. I've seen more examples of this from US sellers for a small computer cable than I can count. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@san1914 wrote:

Apparently you are NOT aware that

1.) ebay does NOT sell anything

2.) ebay does NOT ship anything

3.) ebay does NOT charge ANYTHING for shipping

This is ALL done by the individual seller. If you don't like their price, find another seller selling that item. If the 'overall' cost (because some sellers do 'FREE' shipping, although we ALL know the price of shipping is built in) then THAT is the cost and you simply will NEVER get it anywhere else for less. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Yes just like the China sellers who can ship an item for $.50 that costs us usa sellers $15 to ship there.

Unfortunately we get the short end of the stick on that deal ,  we lose in the final delivery . Alberta isn't going to complete the delivery to California , then send it here then we eat the cost of the final delivery.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers 

Don’t you think the OP  was referring to EBAY as a group of sellers. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

" Often the shipping is, not only more than the item I’m buying, but quite often double the cost"

What does it matter if shipping is more than the cost of the item? It happens. I shop by combining the shipping fee with the item cost, if I think its still a bargain, I buy it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 15 of 19
latest reply