cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay shipping calculator screwing up big time today.

GA stayed selected, Prepopulated weight for a combined package paid by invoice to buyer was 4 lb, 4oz.  My cost was $6.72.  I changed the weight to 2 lb 4 oz, it went up to $8.07 and change, increased the weight to 2 lb 8 oz, amount due dropped to $6.79.  I made a video of this happening, but to see the amount on the right, a portion of the buyer address is visible.  Anyone having this happen or have advice?  I haven't purchased the label and may end up going to Pirate Ship, but prefer Ebay so the tax paperwork is mostly in one spot.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@anasazirose wrote:

GA stayed selected, Prepopulated weight for a combined package paid by invoice to buyer was 4 lb, 4oz.  My cost was $6.72.  I changed the weight to 2 lb 4 oz, it went up to $8.07 and change, increased the weight to 2 lb 8 oz, amount due dropped to $6.79.  I made a video of this happening, but to see the amount on the right, a portion of the buyer address is visible.  Anyone having this happen or have advice?  I haven't purchased the label and may end up going to Pirate Ship, but prefer Ebay so the tax paperwork is mostly in one spot.

Hey @anasazirose ! The Shipping team reached out and wanted to share the following:  

"The Shipping team is aware of the USPS rate fluctuations. A resolution is in place and rest assured, sellers who were negatively impacted will be credited."

Kyle,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Update, confirmed shipping amount for Priority 2 lb 8 oz was correct using ebay shipping calculator.  Purchase the label, buyer gets free upgrade from GA to Pr.  Can share video somewhere if allowed if someone wants to see it in action.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Just happened again, 2 lb package $7.15, 1 lb $5.80, 15 oz goes to $6.00.  Also just realized I can make a video and still see the price change while leaving personal information off. 

15012 to 21286, $5.80 is correct for 15 oz, $6 is not

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@anasazirose  I'm guessing this is likely related to some of the other strange things we are seeing going on with USPS rates through eBay right now.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/USPS-shipping-rates-increased/m-p/34212679#M466573

devon@ebay  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

It is both repeatable AND non repeatable without leaving the shipping screen. What I mean by that is that it happened, pulled out my phone to make a video, it did not happen, then it happened again so I made a video.  This without leaving the screen at all. 

For the ship calculator to raise the price when the same package weighs less is crazy.  What will ebay's position be when a seller pays the shipping ebay says is correct and USPS back bills us for underpayment?   It certainly seems fair that ebay recognize the time frame this is happening in and be responsible for their errors. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@anasazirose wrote:

It is both repeatable AND non repeatable without leaving the shipping screen. What I mean by that is that it happened, pulled out my phone to make a video, it did not happen, then it happened again so I made a video.  This without leaving the screen at all. 

For the ship calculator to raise the price when the same package weighs less is crazy.  What will ebay's position be when a seller pays the shipping ebay says is correct and USPS back bills us for underpayment?   It certainly seems fair that ebay recognize the time frame this is happening in and be responsible for their errors. 

Thanks @anasazirose ! That makes me think even more that it may be related to these other issues we are seeing.

You can check that other community thread I linked to for details, but the short version is that I believe eBay is making changes to their rates to bring themselves inline with changes that Pirate Ship and other providers made back in November (eBay had said they were not adjusting their rates "at that time" but may be doing it now before the big USPS rate increase January 21).

If that theory is correct, generally speaking, those changes would mean an increase in most Priority  shipments and a decrease for some Ground Advantage shipments in particular weight and zone ranges.

Whatever eBay is doing with those rates, it seems to be causing the whole thing to go buggy now. I'm seeing the rates fluctuate when the "ship on date" changes, but like you said, it's not always consistently repeatable.

For example, selecting tomorrow for the ship on date early today was showing the "changed" rates, but selecting Friday was showing the "old" rates - and then when I toggled back to tomorrow a few minutes later it was back to the old rate for that date again too.

I've tried it a few more times since then and am still having the same experience - the rates are still fluctuating but it's not a consistent pattern for when they do.

As to your question about underpayment - that's where this gets a little tricky. If I'm correct, these changes are not due to an actual change in the published USPS rates.

USPS sets their published retail and commercial rates, but service providers and marketplaces have Negotiated Service Agreements (NSAs) with USPS that are basically private contracts that give them negotiated (often very) discounted pricing off those published rates based on volume and other factors.

The changes Pirate Ship and others made in November were due to changes in the terms of their agreements with USPS that lowered their negotiated discounts for some shipments and increased them for others, so those providers adjusted the rates they provide to shippers accordingly - but the actual published USPS rates did not change at that time, if that makes sense.

Many of us speculated eBay was also impacted by those changes and while eBay didn't confirm or deny that, they did say they were not going to make any adjustments *at that time*.

It's my belief they are making those adjustments now, ahead of the actual changes to USPS published rates that will be going into effect January 21.

If all of that is what's really going on here, then the price fluctuations we are currently seeing in theory would not be a difference in what is actually supposed to be paid to USPS, it's just a difference in the discounted rate eBay is charging the seller - in which case I don't know that there would technically be any underpayment or overpayment to USPS.

There is still the question of whether eBay will be refunding the difference for sellers who pay higher rates than they should be and/or charging the difference for those who pay less than they should - but until/unless eBay actually bothers to even communicate about which rates are the correct ones right now, there's no way to even know!

So basically, it's all a giant mess and we've been trying to get answers from eBay for 4 days now but so far they have not acknowledged the issue or responded to any questions about it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I just had eBay try to charge me $8.75 but charged the buyer $8.12 for Ground Advantage.

I actually wrote it down because my buyer asked for an upgrade to Priority due to a bitter cold snap forecast for them early next week and I was going to invoice for the difference if it was big enough.

Why would eBay charge me more than they charged the buyer? 

I'll take screenshots next time. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@ltldpr wrote:

I just had eBay try to charge me $8.75 but charged the buyer $8.12 for Ground Advantage.

I actually wrote it down because my buyer asked for an upgrade to Priority due to a bitter cold snap forecast for them early next week and I was going to invoice for the difference if it was big enough.

Why would eBay charge me more than they charged the buyer? 

I'll take screenshots next time. 

@ltldpr that's a great question!

In theory if you use calculated shipping and do *not* pass along the discounted rates to buyers, it shouldn't be an issue since eBay should still be showing those buyers the standard retail rates.

But if you do have the option selected to pass on the the discounted rate to buyers, it could potentially result in a situation where eBay may have shown the buyer the old discounted rate when they checked out but is showing the new "changed" rate to the seller when they go to print the label.

That's one of many reasons I've been tagging devon@ebay kyle@ebay and elizabeth@ebay about this issue since Saturday but unfortunately, we still don't have any answers.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

When is he monthly chat session supposed to happen?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

When is he monthly chat session supposed to happen?

@fern*wood add that to the ever growing list of things that apparently eBay staff doesn't think are important enough to warrant an announcement or separate sticky topic...it's been postponed to next week according to Devon "due to some people not being available for this week."

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-Community-Platform/Monthly-chat-2nd-Wednesday/m-p/34215788/highl... 

When I first noticed they hadn't updated it earlier today, I suspected that might mean a Winter Update could be dropping, since they usually cancel chat so staff can be available to answer those threads instead.

Normally Winter updates in the past have been around the first week of February, so it would be early, but who knows - "people not being available" for chat this week could mean they are out of office or it could mean they will be busy doing something else (like handling an update).

We've certainly seen enough tests and glitches around here lately as well to suspect it's very likely they are tinkering with a lot of different things right now, so an update sometime "soon" wouldn't surprise me.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I experienced a shipping issue as well.  The customer was undercharged for shipping (they paid $6.02 for GA and should have been charged $6.94).  The eBay rep I spoke with was very helpful and is sending the situation to the tech team.  I referenced your post while I was chatting with him and he pulled up the community notes and read them :-).

Hopefully it is fixed by tomorrow (Jan 10th).

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@anasazirose wrote:

Hey @anasazirose ! The Shipping team reached out and wanted to share the following:  

"The Shipping team is aware of the USPS rate fluctuations. A resolution is in place and rest assured, sellers who were negatively impacted will be credited."

Kyle,
eBay
Message 12 of 12
latest reply