cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has confirmed that Shipping calc. is GROSSLY OVERCHARGING customerd for shipping

I noticed yesterday (after numerous emails and phone calls from upset customers) that my Calculated shipping chargers have DOUBLED.  For example, shipping a 75 pound box to Zip 90210 cost $93 last week, today ebay says that same item cost $198.60 to ship.

Needless to say, my sales of that item have STOPPED.   In fact all of my sales have dropped 50% in the last week. and I feel sorry for those few that have purchased, as I have unknowingly WAY over changed them for the shipping.

This increases my profit significantly, but it is killing my sales...

Ebay rep says they are aware of the problem, but noit sure when it will be fixed....

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Ebay has confirmed that Shipping calc. is GROSSLY OVERCHARGING customerd for shipping

Thanks for going on the weekly chat.

I think the problem is these discussions are on 3 forums, Selling, shipping and technical. I had a reply from Griff, he hasn't seen the problem himself and as the incorrect pricing its restricted to sellers who do not either sign up for the Ebay UPS program or list using the Ebay discounted Fedex pricing then they can't see the problem. The changing prices is another symptom so I guess we need to keep on about that aspect. Banging head on wall really.

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

Re: Ebay has confirmed that Shipping calc. is GROSSLY OVERCHARGING customerd for shipping

Can anyone else find the option to display retail rates vs daily rates? I don't see it in shipping rate preferences anymore. Perhaps eBay removed it and all calculated shipping is defaulting to retail rates unless you've signed up for eBay rates?

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Message 47 of 67
latest reply

@ebuycdn wrote:

Can anyone else find the option to display retail rates vs daily rates? I don't see it in shipping rate preferences anymore....

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 4.27.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-19 at 4.28.02 PM.png

Message 48 of 67
latest reply

@partial*eclipse

Thanks for the reply but that's not what I mean. If I remember correctly, there used to be an option on that page to offer daily rates or retail rates and you could still choose a percentage discount. If you look at the eBay help, it talks about offering retail or daily rates (see below). It's not there. I'm thinking this might be part of the problem.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-discounts.html

1. Set up a flat discount off retail or daily rates for Domestic and International shipments across all carriers (USPS, FedEx, and UPS);

2. Offer eBay-negotiated discount rates

• eBay negotiates with USPS, FedEx, and UPS to offer sellers discounted rates just for being a seller on eBay. By choosing this option, you can configure your default shipping preferences to share these rates with your buyers.

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Message 49 of 67
latest reply

The PROBLEM is that Ebay have changed the shipping calculator WITHOUT informing sellers. Its fine for Ebay to quote retail rates for UPS/Fedex as any newbie seller without an account who lists and relies on the calculator would previously get royally screwed when trying to ship an item by walking into a UPS/Fedex store. BUT the rates previous to the new year were discount rates and hundreds, maybe thousands of sellers are totally unaware that their quoted rates are now ludicrous, Ebay is totally responsible for informing sellers of such a huge change. Many sellers get discounts direct from UPS/Fedex so don't go into their account to select this as it never used to matter. Ebay rates were approximately correct for the discount rate. At least the toggling rates seems to have been fixed.

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

I'm glad you mentioned the toggling rates. I agree; they seem to have been fixed. I could not get a toggled rate change yesterday. I guess that's progress.

I also agree with your analysis. I was getting discounted UPS rates from the eBay UPS shipping calculator and all I had for shipping preference was calculated rate for UPS, nothing special.

In addition, these new rates exceed UPS retail rates. So I don't think eBay switched to retail rates. Something is broken.

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

I was with ebay CS representative after waiting for long time, he said would find out and call next day.....3 days ago, and nothing, seems like no one at ebay CS cares about this problem. Switching from UPS to FedEX creates another problem....the calculation goes under the actual shipping, I already lost over $100 in shipping....LAME !

Message 52 of 67
latest reply

I switched to FEDEX as well and found their rates to be lower than the old UPS calculated rates by about 15%.  Fortunately, I drop ship my product and my supplier's contract UPS rates are still lower than the eBay FEDEX rate but it has cut into my margins. I might increase the weight of my item to get a FEDEX calculation that mirrors the old UPS rates. Fortunately, I only sell two items so adjusting the shipping weights slightly will not be a big problem.

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

The ebay shipping calulator is broken. Ebay is aware of the problem. it has been going on since the price increase, maybe before. I have seen the issue mainly on large packages when dimensional weight is a factor.

Typically we see very high shipping cost estimates (as much as double what the shipping cost was in December) , or the shipping cost estimator will display one cost, but at check out, the shipping cost goes way up.

A few minutes ago, a customer called me, the ebay listing quoted $42.03 shipping to his zip code. I went to the listing put in his zip code, and confirmed. But at check out the shipping cost changed to $58.29. Again, I went to his order (view order details), and confirmed, it did change. customer was "upset" to say the least.

I have called ebay at least a dozen times on this, they are aware of this issue, but have not developed a fix yet. We just walked through the listing, and the problem is easly duplicated. It is a large packaage, but a fairly new listing.

Message 54 of 67
latest reply

PLEASE - EVERYONE READING THIS GO TO THE "CHAT" W/EBAY HUMAN AT 1:00PST TODAY!! This shipping fiasco has been going on too long!

I was going to write a longer "thing", with item numbers, etc.  this a.m. but do not have the time.

Same package, 12x13x10, 25 lbs cross country UPS - 

Shipping mid December was ~$38. 12/28/16 was $64 and has stayed ("toggling back and forth seems to have stopped).

Saw weird things while doing price changes and shipping changes this week.

Did a "SELL SIMILAR" on that same item. 

Changed the price by $.01, raised the weight by one pound --

SHIPPING IS $39 !!!!! Watched it for 2 days now and it is staying there.

Yes, problem is I will NOT know if the customer will actually be charged that $39 until someone buys it -- I am waiting.

I have ~4 other variations of that same item (similar $$ and weight) and ALL of them are showing the ~$39 price !!!

I am VERY thankful the Ebay sales are only a small part of what we do - the time spent versus dollars/profit for Ebay is discouraging.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

If you recently added "offer carrier specific discounts" this only seems to apply to new or revised listings so might explain your lower prices showing.

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

@mazdatrix1 wrote:

PLEASE - EVERYONE READING THIS GO TO THE "CHAT" W/EBAY HUMAN AT 1:00PST TODAY!! This shipping fiasco has been going on too long!...

The problems with the shipping caculators for UPS and FedEx have been brought up at several Weakly Chats in the past few weeks. Be prepared with details.

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

In reply to my question(s) on the Ebay "Chat" today, Wednesday 2/1/17 about the shipping quotes fiasco:

mazdatrix1 wrote:
To Alan@Ebay ---- Any chance of some kind of acknowledgement of this shipping problem??
Alot of us are affected.
Hi @mazdatrix1

You'll need to be more specific, there are no known issues with Shipping. It's best that you contact our Customer Service team and they can talk through this with you and review your account. Here's a link to contact them.

Who have we all been talking to since ~12/28/16 ????
Message 58 of 67
latest reply

mazdatrix1 wrote:...  ... Hi @mazdatrix1

You'll need to be more specific, there are no known issues with Shipping....

That's why I said, "Be prepared with details."

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

for gosh sakes ebay FIX IT ASAP.. UNREAL at the prices am seeing here for shipping.
Will be forced to move on elsewhere with my sales ...treading mud here, sadly.
Message 60 of 67
latest reply