cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does eBay accept IMb as reliable Tracking?

IMbHeader.png

IMb = Intelligent Mail® Barcode

It's the small barcode above the addressee that allows USPS to track packages through their system. Often, sellers need third party companies to access the information of IMb locations for a small fee. If a buyer submits an "INR" (Item Not Received) Case is IMb tracking sufficient enough for eBay to side with the sellers? Below is a demonstration of this tracking in place according to USPS scanning the letters showing that the letter made it directly into the buyer's mailbox:Screenshot_20240403-012242~3.png

So far I've had no issues with this setup, but that could also be because eBay hadn't need to get directly involved. But since eBay uses this same system for their "Standard Envelope" I see no reason as to why they wouldn't honor it? Wherever I go I am unable to get clear cut answers for this question of mine.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Does eBay accept IMb as reliable Tracking?

I haven't used the service in years. As of a year ago, @southern*sweet*tea reported the service was still only able to be read through the Lettertrack dash or the email they send and the internal USPS system. The tracking could not be integrated with eBay. Because of that, it would not help on a non-receipt claim, but being able to show buyers tracking and encouraging them to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery to see incoming mail often helped alleviate buyer concerns.

You are selling a lot of currency under $20 - why not just use eBay Standard Envelope since it integrates?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@wastingtime101 I do use the eBay Standard Envelope as it is cheaper, but I sell a lot of currency that exceeds the $20.00 limit in which I have to use the IMb.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I haven't used the service in years. As of a year ago, @southern*sweet*tea reported the service was still only able to be read through the Lettertrack dash or the email they send and the internal USPS system. The tracking could not be integrated with eBay. Because of that, it would not help on a non-receipt claim, but being able to show buyers tracking and encouraging them to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery to see incoming mail often helped alleviate buyer concerns.

You are selling a lot of currency under $20 - why not just use eBay Standard Envelope since it integrates?

Still the same.  There is no delivery scan, only the final scan when it arrives at the destination post office.

This is not delivery confirmation, it is strictly tracking as the letter moves through the USPS machinery.

@speedystarnotes 

For the ones over $20 you could make the package rigid by  sandwiching the notes between corrugated cardboard and use regular Ground Advantage tracking. It'll cost $4+ but you'll have a delivery scan.  If you're getting INRs because of that it may be worth the extra expense.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Then what is the last entry where it shows "Delivered in MailBox"?

I remember reading somewhere that eBay requires the package to reach the destination ZIP code/city which it shows. It's up to the Buyer if the item gets stolen from their doorstep or etc.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

IMb is the same service as ESE once it reaches the post office, but differs in only Lettertrack can track the numbers.

Sellers have filled threads with their ESE experiences and many have poor results.

This will not be accepted by Ebay as proof of anything, because the automated Ebay processes do not have access to the tracking.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

LetterTrack literally uses the same tracking as ESE, but eBay will not accept LetterTrack tracking numbers as valid tracking (like they do with ESE) and it will count against your tracking uploaded metric (which matters if one cares about being TRS.)

If you are looking to protect your TRS and ship things in letter envelopes that are not in qualifying categories for ESE, LetterTrack won't work. On the bright side, paper currency IS a qualifying category, and you can ship your low value notes via ESE (cheaper than LetterTrack and a stamp too.)

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@speedystarnotes wrote:

Sorry, but that "Delivered in MailBox" just like with ESE is made-up: The letter carrier does not and cannot scan the IMb barcode at delivery.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@speedystarnotes wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that eBay requires the package to reach the destination ZIP code/city which it shows. It's up to the Buyer if the item gets stolen from their doorstep or etc.

hmm, just noticed that.  Didn't catch it before.  None of mine say that, the last scan they get is at the destination PO.  Unless something has recently changed, those don't get scanned by the carriers at delivery.

To my knowledge, the only way to get a delivery scan for a LETTER would be to use certified mail, however I certainly could be wrong.  I haven't used Lettertrack for a few months now, I use either ESE or just stick a stamp (plus an extra ounce if needed) on.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

i never knew this was a thing, so that's cool

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

What is ESE? Never heard of it before.

Nvm stands for: eBay Standard Envelope

Message 11 of 11
latest reply