cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USPS Insurance Reimburse for Shipping Cost If Item is Lost?

Looks like I may have to make an insurance claim for a lost USPS Priority Mail Package. I was just curious if the insurance covers just the cost of the item, or does it cover both the item and the shipping? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Just the item I believe, USPS Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance, if more is needed it must be purchased. 

I remember when if you asked Alexa to change the channel, she had to go to the TV and turn the knob. ~ iowa_east_coast
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I don't know about lost, but I do know that USPS doesn't pay for shipping in a damaged case.. I had a headlight last year, I sent to Florida from Michigan. Shipping was expensive, seems like $50 or so. The package was stabbed by a fork, a direct puncture, broke the light. It was Priority mail, they paid the cost of the light but not shipping. They told me that isn't covered, just the item itself.

Not sure about a lost package, I wish you well, and sorry that happened to you!
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yes, USPS insurance does cover postage if item is lost.

On the other hand, if your item is delivered but looks like it was dropped out of a plane from 30,000 ft and then run over by every USPS tractor trailer within a 100 mile radius, gnawed on by a pack of rabid wolves and then set on fire for good measure, uh, no, their insurance won't pay for postage.......Their reasoning is that since you paid for delivery and it was delivered, you got what you paid for from them.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@iowa_east_coast wrote:

Just the item I believe, USPS Priority Mail comes with $50 insurance, if more is needed it must be purchased. 

It was only a $20 item so at least I’m covered for that!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes, in case of lost packages they pay the value of the item + shipping cost. I just had a lost international priority package recently and they paid within a reasonable amount of time.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply