cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need an EORI number to ship to Germany?

I'm shipping with Fedex Priority to Germany for the first time in a long time and a lot of the regulations for EU customs were updated a year or two back and it seems having a EORI number is one newer requirement for import/export into the EU/UK. I can't work out if it's a requirement for anyone shipping or just businesses only or only ​for businesses ​based in the EU. All I know is if your documents aren't in order when the package arrives at customs you are in for a world of pain and maybe even a returned shipment and I don't want that, been there done that.

I'd appreciate any help and advice I can get, thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do I need an EORI number to ship to Germany?

I ship ca 15 packages a month internationally (I am in USA) not using ebay program. Most of them to EU. This has been my experience:

I do not have and, obviously, I do not provide EORI number. So far, there have been ZERO problems, incl. Germany. The packages go thru the customs fast. It is a safe guess to assume that the same applies to EU, as I have not had any issues without that number.

For example, this is what I found on the UK government site:

You do not need an EORI number if you’re moving goods that are both:

not controlled goods
for personal use only

So it appears that the EORI number is not required mailing items for personal use.

Make sure that you customs form contains ebay VAT TAX number! If it is missing, that will definitely cause the rejection at the customs. ebay's VAT for EU is: IM2760000742

Also, make sure you use a correct harmonization code for your product (HS Code, aka a TARIC number). It must be a 10-digit number.

Also, when wrapping the package, use material that does not have any logos on it.

This has been my experience, this is not a shipping expert advice.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@sumbantoo 

Why not just ship your item to your buyer by eBay International Services, and eliminate all your headaches immediately?

No forms to fill out -- and EIS takes FULL responsibility for the shipment, after your item is confirmed received by the eBay shipping hub.

Check it out -- 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@1786davycrockett Unfortunately I'm not currently situated in the US so I can't use EIS or else I certainly would be because all the headaches are removed.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@sumbantoo 

Sorry -- didn't realize that you are situated in South Africa.

This is the USA site for eBay -- perhaps you should try a different eBay site.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@1786davycrockett
Not everyone in the US ships via EIS so the USA site is as good as any to ask this question.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I ship ca 15 packages a month internationally (I am in USA) not using ebay program. Most of them to EU. This has been my experience:

I do not have and, obviously, I do not provide EORI number. So far, there have been ZERO problems, incl. Germany. The packages go thru the customs fast. It is a safe guess to assume that the same applies to EU, as I have not had any issues without that number.

For example, this is what I found on the UK government site:

You do not need an EORI number if you’re moving goods that are both:

not controlled goods
for personal use only

So it appears that the EORI number is not required mailing items for personal use.

Make sure that you customs form contains ebay VAT TAX number! If it is missing, that will definitely cause the rejection at the customs. ebay's VAT for EU is: IM2760000742

Also, make sure you use a correct harmonization code for your product (HS Code, aka a TARIC number). It must be a 10-digit number.

Also, when wrapping the package, use material that does not have any logos on it.

This has been my experience, this is not a shipping expert advice.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

P.S. Obviously, if you sell controlled goods, you need that number.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@martin2001 
I appreciate the reply, going by that it looks like I am in the clear in terms of not needing an EORI number.

In terms of the vat number you mentioned, I didn't put one on the commercial invoice because apparently for order values over 150euro(the order was well over that) eBay doesn't collect the vat and the destination customs will levy the vat on import so there is no IOSS number to put on the commercial invoice, does that sound right?

If not where are you inputting ebay's EU VAT Code IM2760000742 on the commercial invoice?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

When I mail a package, I attach (in a transparent pouch) a packing slip, which you can print from ebay. In your order page, there is a drop down menu item Print packing slip. I don't think I ever sold an item to EU >150EUR, so I don't whether ebay collects VAT tax. Does ebay order page show anything about collecting VAT tax?

I would still affix only a packing slip, not an invoice, because the buyer has paid for the item.

Re IOSS, I don't use ebay labels so I can't tell you where to put the IOSS number. I use another label provider. I did a screenshot of the customs part of the label. You can see the box for the IOSS number.

I suggest that you use a label provider which has an option to provide the VAT tax number. When the EU law came into effect about two years ago, I did forget to put that VAT tax number on several several occasions. The packages were automatically rejected and returned because they couldn't be processes electronically (that's what the label said on the returned packages)

I think you need to put that VAT number on the customs form, regardless of whether ebay collected VAT or not.

@sumbantoo wrote:

@martin2001 
I appreciate the reply, going by that it looks like I am in the clear in terms of not needing an EORI number.

In terms of the vat number you mentioned, I didn't put one on the commercial invoice because apparently for order values over 150euro(the order was well over that) eBay doesn't collect the vat and the destination customs will levy the vat on import so there is no IOSS number to put on the commercial invoice, does that sound right?

If not where are you inputting ebay's EU VAT Code IM2760000742 on the commercial invoice?

VAT.JPG

Message 9 of 9
latest reply