cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion about shipping & fees, please.

Howdy.  I'm cowgalpal, a seller of many years, and would like a discussion place to talk about the new %fee for shipping, the odd skews of the Top Seller discount to exactly match what the site's price stated, and the missed opportunity for Sellers to refund Buyers any overage.  

I don't want to rant - I just want to start a discussion about this 'ship gouging' policy that seems to use the same tactic by charging everyone for a few's mis-takes.

Thanks.  Hope to begin a good thing.  If individuals can be calculated by feedback stars, surely there can be a way to discern the 'gougers' too, and not punish everyone.  

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Discussion about shipping & fees, please.

The boards/posts are all public and serve to help get information out to many that may have the same questions.  Lots of people read them without ever posting,  Just because the original poster has gotten their answer doesn't mean it can't help others.

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

First off, that was my first post in this thread. I read through and didn't see an explanation why it happened and exactly what was going on when it happened.

That was pretty rude when I was only trying to help.

Have a nice day.

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

In the meantime, would you like to buy a mobius strip?  I happen to have several of them I could list,

No, thanks. The problem with listing a Mobius strip is that it never ends...

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

Wnh-wnnnh-whhhhhaaa!   Hahaa!!!  Yeop.  Thanks; we'll go out on a FUN note!!  

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

Stop.  Please.  I've already posted that my question was resolved, it was marked in green, and - ended.  There is no need to keep paraphrasing what has aready been said five times. 

If people don't stop weighing in on this item, eBay is likely to just change policy and go into the exclusive business of selling bridges.  It's become evident that there is a massive marketplace that they're missing out on.

Take it -- and please -- leave it.  

End of discussion.  

Thank you.  

I had a close look at the title of your OP .................in particular the first & last words............

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

"If people don't stop weighing in on this item, eBay is likely to just change policy and go into the exclusive business of selling bridges. It's become evident that there is a massive marketplace that they're missing out on."

You're a legend in your own mind.
Message 51 of 64
latest reply

Well, we all lightened up and ended on a fun note, now didn't we?  If you need to continue to berate my absence, then I guess this won't end on as light a note as it seemed.

I'll skip the lipstick on any more snotty comments about being two days later and leaping for a voice in a late foray, and hope that the entirety of the thread brings more comraderie than competitorship.

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

This comes up all the time.  Back before we ha  the 10% charge on shipping we were paying for the mistakes of those breaking the rules already. Because fees were actually higher then.  You had to pay to list pay for pics and the percentage was for fvf was higher  unless you're selling really heavy items the new fees are actually not higher some would be paying even less now than then.  And fees haven't really gone up sense where they used to go up every spring.  

Now the fee on shipping isnt based on what ebay calculates shippinv cost is.  It does it based on whAt your invoice for shipping has the buyer pay. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 53 of 64
latest reply

i dont use their their shipping service and they are  still charging me for it 

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

The final value fee on shipping has nothing to do with who you ship with. It is a fee on the shipping portion of the total amount paid by the buyer. Ebay doesn't know in advance what shippign the buyer will choose so they have to wait to calculate that part of the fee until the buyer pays.

You are paying a fee on the money incoming to you not the money outgoing in shipping.

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

That's a good answer too; thanks.  I've another question, gang, and maybe someone can riddle me this.  The other day, I shipped a glass pitcher which weighed a bit over 3 pounds, and it came to $17.01!  I was astounded, but it was to CA., the furthest from me.  However, presently I have an old stadium blanket up, weighs nearly 6 pounds as it is, unboxed, but when I open my page, it calculates the shipping at 7.61 for the '6 to 7' pounds to calculate by.  QUITE a diff, so - does it use your own zipcode for the page's calc?  Then change, by the then-known Buyer's zip?  Just curious, as I felt bad that girl paid $17 for a $10 pitcher, and of course, I can no longer just 'send back' overages to their Pal with a brief note, as the ship amt. seems to always be deadnuts what was charged.  Not a bad thing, but - it was a nice thing to be able to do, and did get me nice feedback and customers returning.  That aside - I'd like to know about that huge diff in cost b/t 4 lbs and 7 lbs; almost half!! 

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

... "over" I meant!  - About twice as much, for half the poundage. 

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

(Sory, duplicate post.)
Message 58 of 64
latest reply

@cowgalpal wrote:

... does it use your own zipcode for the page's calc?  Then change, by the then-known Buyer's zip?... 

The shipping calculator shows  the postage cost to ship from your ZIP Code to the ZIP Code of any member who looks at the listing. So when you look at your own listing, it shows you the postage to ship to your own ZIP Code, even after the item is sold.

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

I see.  So, If I wanted to know the going rate from me to Florida, where I have a pal, I would have to have HER look at the page, and tell me.  

Makes sense.  I've begun putting a line in my "Measurements" section with the as/is weight, just so the Buyers might know, and on heavy items, that yes, it'll be quite different than my usual (I sell clothing).  Tx - helpful! 

Message 60 of 64
latest reply