cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost adjustment usps

USPS hit me up with a 10 dollar charge on a 5 oz package.  I shipped a dvd and used media mail. Theyre saying I used a priority flat rate box.  Flat out false.  I appealed. Then eBay deducted the funds.  What in the world is this scam?  They don’t even prove anything with their investigation?!?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Cost adjustment usps

Because using pirateship your in charge, not ebay. Plus it doesn't have to come out of the ridiculous funds setup on here which is nothing but a headache anymore. Pirateship you can charge it to yourself, be in charge of the shipment and transaction, if there is a problem it can be handled easier and easy to dispute if necessary. Plus their insurance configurations are so much easier to work with. And they have actual customer service that is top notch. 

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

That's like comparing apples and a bucket of mud @albertabrightalberta .

OP's situation is a basic everyday APV error that can be credited on appeal.

The void-recharge issue is fraud on USPS's side. Reports came from sellers using multiple shipping providers for USPS, not just eBay. eBay is stepping in and doing the right thing, saying they will refund sellers, even if it is taking a while for them to sort out the situation (presumably with USPS). I don't know what the other shipping platforms are doing, if anything, to take care of sellers.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Apparently Pirate Ship does charge your account when USPS Revenue Assurance Program catches under payment. I looked it up:

https://support.pirateship.com/en/articles/4143742

UPS surcharges are billed to your Pirate Ship account too.

I don't know why some people online keep claiming they don't.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Sometimes going to a post office can keep from getting overcharged.

And although many here say well, you can ask for a refund and get a refund....how long does it take to get that refund?...and does it go as a credit for future shipping or a direct refund?

Guess you might need extra cash sometimes when you get overcharged...but hey, the refund will eventually come.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I know they do, the point was you can dispute it easier and more simple than on ebay if needed.  And you don't have worry about funds in ebay as much which has become a bigtime headache the way this works anymore since they got rid of paypal.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Sometimes the USPS gives me back money that I overpaid.

It's all a big scam I tell ya.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 21 of 35
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

And although many here say well, you can ask for a refund and get a refund....how long does it take to get that refund?...and does it go as a credit for future shipping or a direct refund?

Guess you might need extra cash sometimes when you get overcharged...but hey, the refund will eventually come.

In my experience the refund hits my original form of payment (credit card) within 2 weeks in most cases.

OP was charged $10. If someone can't float $10 for a couple of weeks, what are they going to do if a buyer files a return? Anybody actively selling needs to have some cash reserves to cover incidentals.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@kasp182 

This happens more often than might be understood, and generally occurs when a smaller package (yours) becomes attached to a larger package (somebody else's).  The high-speed automatic sorting machines scan YOUR package, and assume that YOU have underpaid for the LARGER package.

I received a similar email message from USPS through my eBay email account several years ago, concerning a small 8 ounce Media Mail  package which USPS declared was actually a package weighing nearly 3 pounds.  I phoned the contact number listed on the email which I had received, and actually talked with a REAL HUMAN BEING!!! 

She assured me that what had happened was common, and described how it had probably occurred (as I detailed earlier).  She opened up a claim for me, based on my eBay email address, and told me that the USPS inspectors would examine the filmed recording of the incident, and that my account would be refunded by USPS if the film showed a "piggyback" package.

And, a few days later, my account was refunded.  No problems.

So -- check that email, and make the phone call.

And, by the way, this happens with EVERY type of shipping label -- not just those purchased through eBay.

Good luck.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

I've never had to deal with ebay customer support over a shipping under payment issue.

I just followed the appeal link in the ebay message about the adjustment. Fill out the short form and submit. That goes right to USPS. The first time a USPS postmaster from the destination post office called me the next day and initiated the refund after she viewed the image. The other two times they just refunded me. Nobody called or anything. I'm not sure it could be any easier than that.

However I do use Pirate Ship sometimes but never had a reason to contact their CS for anything so I can't comment on their CS.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

Apparently Pirate Ship does charge your account when USPS Revenue Assurance Program catches under payment. I looked it up:

https://support.pirateship.com/en/articles/4143742

UPS surcharges are billed too.

I don't know why some people online keep claiming they don't.

I've had it happen on a Shipstation label I bought through PayPal.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Does pirate ship refund when you over pay?

@crazystuff4sale 

Yes, I have had two refunds.  One UPS, and one USPS. 

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I know they do, the point was you can dispute it easier and more simple than on ebay if needed.  And you don't have worry about funds in ebay as much which has become a bigtime headache the way this works anymore since they got rid of paypal.

I should have done a better job of wording my responses. Yes Pirate Ship will charge you for shipper adjustments if your package is different than what you stated it to be when you bought the label. The biggest difference I have found with Pirate Ship when I ship with UPS, which is seldom, is it factors in all of the surcharges when you buy the label. EBay does not. 

It took one UPS surcharge on a eBay purchased label to switch me over to Pirate Ship where I discovered Priority Mail Cubic and now Ground Advantage Cubic LONG before eBay incorporated those into their shipping options. But the other + is I pay for the labels on Pirate ship with a cash back credit card which usually returns $100-$200 a year and I am not a major seller. 

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Does pirate ship refund when you over pay?

@crazystuff4sale 

Yes, I have had two refunds.  One UPS, and one USPS. 

Thank you for the confirmation. It makes sense logically since neither eBay or Pirate Ship is the actual carrier they are just the broker for the service. 

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

This is visible on the eBay shipping labels page:

Some of your shipping labels have cost adjustments.

If you think these adjustments are incorrect, you can contact USPS Customer Care at 1-844-819-5187 or verifypostagehelp@usps.gov to open a dispute. Make sure you have the IMPB and Revenue Assurance ID below to identify the adjustment. USPS will respond within 5-15 business days.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Did you use the cardboard from a flat rate box inside the packaging by chance?  Sometimes buyers will report that and you will be charged for using it. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 30 of 35
latest reply