cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost adjustment usps

USPS hit me up with a 10 dollar charge on a 5 oz package.  I shipped a dvd and used media mail. Theyre saying I used a priority flat rate box.  Flat out false.  I appealed. Then eBay deducted the funds.  What in the world is this scam?  They don’t even prove anything with their investigation?!?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Cost adjustment usps

@kasp182 

eBay apparently automatically  passes all such "upcharges" to the seller without question or recourse.  It includes FedEx and UPS as well.  That is likely why many users have found it prudent to use other shipping serviced to purchase labels.  

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

It's never happened to me, but if USPS charged you, isn't your issue with USPS? I don't know how eBay could investigate it.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

You can dispute an additional charge with usps.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

@kasp182 wrote:

USPS hit me up with a 10 dollar charge on a 5 oz package.  I shipped a dvd and used media mail. Theyre saying I used a priority flat rate box.  Flat out false.  I appealed. Then eBay deducted the funds.  What in the world is this scam?  They don’t even prove anything with their investigation?!?

This is why I use Pirateship.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

The USPS Revenue Assurance Program is automated:

A camera snaps a photo as the package moves over a scale. The software bills for under and refunds for over payment.

Mistakes happen. Your package was probably riding on a Priority mail box when it went under the cam.

You appeal. Someone at USPS looks at the photo and you're refunded. It happens.

Happened to me a couple times over the years and they made it right.

In the last 3 years I've only received refunds for packages where I paid too much when buying labels.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

This, we never use ebay for shipping because of this problem, there is no way to dispute when through other channels there is, same problem with amazon too no way to dispute it these platforms just take whatever they want when they want.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

@norskmediashop 

Every time I was wrongly billed for underpayment on an ebay label I appealed and was refunded.

There's a link to dispute/appeal right in the ebay message.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

This, we never use ebay for shipping because of this problem, there is no way to dispute when through other channels there is, same problem with amazon too no way to dispute it these platforms just take whatever they want when they want.

One, among many reasons I also quit using eBay to buy and print shipping labels. I utilize Pirate Ship which has the same, sometimes better, discounted rates than eBay. I also pay for those on a cash back credit card which reduces the shipping cost a bit further. 

Pirate Ship provides some shipper protection against surcharges. However, they do not have FedEx available only USPS and UPS. I have never bit hit with a surcharge using Pirate Ship. 

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

Does pirate ship refund when you over pay?

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

Why do you call it a scam?

Do you really  think the USPS purposely rips off customers to make additional revenue?

Not everyone is out to get you.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

@tools* wrote:

@kasp182 wrote:

This is why I use Pirateship.

Why is Pirateship any different?  Use eBay to print a USPS label vs Priateship to print a USPS label?

Trust me, if you goof and put the wrong weight/type etc, Pirateship WILL charge you the difference (and then some, in my experience...)

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

@kasp182 wrote:

@kasp182 This happens to me all the time. It's a pain in the ass, but it's easy to appeal. Send USPS an email verifypostagehelp@usps.gov with the following details:

In order for USPS to investigate your dispute they must have the following information:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number with area code
  • Email
  • 10 digit Revenue Assurance ID or USPS Adjustment ID of each record to be reviewed
  • IMpb or tracking number starting with 94 or 420

I generally describe the problem, as well. Shipped 8 oz t-shirt in plain white polymailer with eBay logo, was up charged based on a Priority Flat Rate Envelope packaging which was not used.

Educated guess: packages sometimes get stuck together or are too close together when going through the sorting machinery so the scans are reading a different package. When you file an appeal, USPS will look at the actual photos taken during sorting and they will see the package and grant the refund.

USPS sends the refund to your original source of payment (credit card, bank, paypal, eBay funds, etc).

https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

Does pirate ship refund when you over pay?

Never been an issue but I take all my packages to the PO or UPS and have them weighed, occasionally measured, and scanned into the system. During the process the PO clerk would let me know if there was an overage or underage on the postage. 

The only time I had an issue was when the clerk could not tell the difference between a medium mailing box and a medium flat rate box. Since the interface with USPS is the same as eBay's I would guess that they do but maybe somebody else that uses Pirate Ship can validate/verify that. 

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Cost adjustment usps

@wastingtime101 wrote:

This happens to me all the time. It's a pain in the ass, but it's easy to appeal. Send USPS an email verifypostagehelp@usps.gov with the following details:

In order for USPS to investigate your dispute they must have the following information:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number with area code
  • Email
  • 10 digit Revenue Assurance ID or USPS Adjustment ID of each record to be reviewed
  • IMpb or tracking number starting with 94 or 420

I generally describe the problem, as well. Shipped 8 oz t-shirt in plain white polymailer with eBay logo, was up charged based on a Priority Flat Rate Envelope packaging which was not used.

Educated guess: packages sometimes get stuck together or are too close together when going through the sorting machinery so the scans are reading a different package. When you file an appeal, USPS will look at the actual photos taken during sorting and they will see the package and grant the refund.

USPS sends the refund to your original source of payment (credit card, bank, paypal, eBay funds, etc).

https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

Why is this not working for the many sellers who (in March) were backcharged for voided and never-used labels from December? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 35
latest reply