cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Print Label to ship to Puerto Rico

Getting message:  "Label could not be generated.  Internal error".  To Puerto Rico - customer claims never have had problem with any other shipments.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Cannot Print Label to ship to Puerto Rico

Purchase a new label.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@rogers*records wrote:

Getting message:  "Label could not be generated.  Internal error".  To Puerto Rico - customer claims never have had problem with any other shipments.

In the Shipping form, click on "Edit" under the Ship To: address, and tell us what "Country" value you see in the edit screen. If the Country value showing is "PR," that may be the problem right there, based on problems that others have been seeing. 

The easiest workaround is to use the "classic" form instead. While viewing the Shipping form in your browser, look at the URL in the browser field at the top of the screen, find the words "new_label" and change those to "back_to_classic" (taking care to use the underscore character between each word). Make no other changes to that line, press Enter, and the classic Shipping form should appear. See if you have better luck printing the label via the old form.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yeah there was a glitch that was preventing ANY labels from generating.  I ship to PR all the time.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@rogers*records: Any progress in getting your label to print? What does your buyer show as the Country of his Ship To: address? Were you able to print a label using the "classic" form instead of the new one?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Indeed the country showing in the eBay forum was PR which is, of course, incorrect.  Tried to change in edit mode but was protected and not allowing me to change.

Don't have time for this so I cancelled order with customer as having bad address -- obviously eBay thinks it's a bad address -- a problem they need to fix 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@kare-enterprises wrote:

Don't have time for this so I cancelled order with customer as having bad address -- obviously eBay thinks it's a bad address -- a problem they need to fix 

They're aware of this Shipping form bug; yes. In the meantime, if you go into the Shipping form and then follow the workaround step of replacing  "new_label" with "back_to_classic" in the address line of your browser, that will bring up the classic form, and you will be able to print your Shipping labels just fine. (Okay, I know you said that you've already cancelled this sale, but please remember this workaround for next time. If your buyer can pay again, the "back_to_classic" workaround should enable you to get your sale out the door.)

@Anonymous: Unfortunately we have another instance here now of a sale falling through because the new Shipping form was unable to print the Puerto Rico shipping address of the buyer.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I had this same problem last week.  I called ebay and was told all of my settings were correct.  I ship to PR often and never had this problem.  I knew ebay had changed something and finally found in my shipping settings PR was no longer included as part of Domestic USA.  Ebay now has it included with Central America and Caribbean Region.  I had to change it to a country I will ship to and problem was resolved.  PR is a US Territory and USPS ships there, no problems.  They should not be singled out from the rest of the USA just because many sellers don't want to ship to PR.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@qualitysales19 wrote:

I had this same problem last week.  I called ebay and was told all of my settings were correct.  I ship to PR often and never had this problem.  I knew ebay had changed something and finally found in my shipping settings PR was no longer included as part of Domestic USA.  Ebay now has it included with Central America and Caribbean Region.  I had to change it to a country I will ship to and problem was resolved.  PR is a US Territory and USPS ships there, no problems.  They should not be singled out from the rest of the USA just because many sellers don't want to ship to PR.

I think you may have solved a different problem there. The problem in this case is that the new Shipping form is reading the buyer's Country as "PR" instead of "United States." You can see it by clicking on the Edit link below the Ship To: address, which opens a popup to show you all the address fields, most of which you can edit (but not Country, unfortunately). It's not clear at the moment why the new form is putting "PR" in the Country field, where it's wrong. "PR" also appears in the State field, where it's correct.

If you go back to the classic Shipping form and click on the same Edit link, that form will show you the buyer's Country as "United States," which is correct, and the label can be printed through the classic form with no problem.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_c_green wrote:

@kare-enterprises wrote:

They're aware of this Shipping form bug; yes. In the meantime, if you go into the Shipping form and then follow the workaround step of replacing  "new_label" with "back_to_classic" in the address line of your browser, that will bring up the classic form, and you will be able to print your Shipping labels just fine. (Okay, I know you said that you've already cancelled this sale, but please remember this workaround for next time. If your buyer can pay again, the "back_to_classic" workaround should enable you to get your sale out the door.)

@Anonymous: Unfortunately we have another instance here now of a sale falling through because the new Shipping form was unable to print the Puerto Rico shipping address of the buyer.

Hi @a_c_green, thank you for the added example. We've been investigating this and in our testing we have found that while the old form shows The United States as the country when a buyer has put Puerto Rico as their country, the label prints out the same in both the new and old shipping label form (with Puerto Rico as the country when the buyer has indicated this is their country). We are looking into what automatic changes we can implement for when a buyer provides the incorrect address in this scenario but do not typically change a buyer's address from what they have input in our system. In these situations it may be best to cancel the transaction for an issue with the buyer's address, then have them fix the address they have on file and repurchase. You may also want to double check with USPS if this kind of address issue would cause a problem as the zip code is the first piece of information they use to get the item to the final sorting center, at which point the street address would be used for final delivery. There may not actually be a problem in this specific scenario when it comes to successful delivery, but USPS would be able to address this with certainty.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Different method that WORKED for me!

So, I tried the "back_to_classic" and it still wouldn't print. And I still could not Edit the Country that kept saying "PR". However, I did discover that the zip code had a dash at the end. I was able to edit the dash out of the zip code and save it, and BAM! It finally let me print. This may or may not be the solution for you, but it was for me. If anyone else can verify that this also worked for them, please reply and let me know.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply