cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an eBay Priority return label go on a flat rate box?

Wondering if a "Priority Mail Return Service" label issued by eBay

PriorityMailReturnService.JPG (335×337)

can be mailed on a Priority Mail Flat Rate box

usps_mail_ship_pm_box_635x358.jpg (635×358)

or only on a plain Priority Mail box?

DMM 505 Return Services doesn't seem to have the answer.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can an eBay Priority return label go on a flat rate box?

Yes, the return postage will be assessed on the package perticulars. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It can go on any box.  Doesn't have to be a USPS Priority Mail box at all.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

It can go on any box.  Doesn't have to be a USPS Priority Mail box at all.

So is it the consensus here that a Return label is the only exception to the rule that a Flat Rate box must have the corresponding Flat Rate postage applied?

My own unscientific opinion is that you'd be safer using a non-Flat Rate PM box with that Return label, so that it won't get kicked back by either an automated scanner or a misinformed USPS handler.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

My understanding is that the Priority Mail Return Service is charged a flat rate per piece to eBay, regardless of package type, weight, origin/destination or dimensions.    This flat rate is adjusted each month by the USPS based on a sample size of actual package characteristics.

eBay charges the seller (or buyer) the amount paid for the original outbound shipping.

So, then, it doesn't matter what kind of box you put the label on.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

>>My understanding is that the Priority Mail Return Service is charged a flat rate per piece to eBay, regardless of package
>>type, weight, origin/destination or dimensions. This flat rate is adjusted each month by the USPS based on a sample
>>size of actual package characteristics.

Looks like you are quoting my (half-assed) theory on how the eBay Return Services worked, but I think I was wrong based on something nate said more recently:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Another-stellar-experience-with-returns-no-money-and-no-item/m...

It appears eBay has a Merchandise Return Service agreement with USPS, issues Priority and First Class return service labels, and settles up for actual costs per label with USPS.

And yes, a Priority Mail Return Service label can be slapped on anything allowed in the USPS network (max size, 70lb, etc), including flat rate boxes (I'd assume because return service labels are meant to be shotgun dispersed to consumers not shippers, one can never be sure what the consumer is going to do, and USPS engineered it to be as frictionless a process as possible for all involved)
Message 6 of 6
latest reply